Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

HEED, Hammer Perpetuem, Accelerade for IM
CREATED: 06/30/09 by bad ford REPLIES: 4
bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 186
HEED, Hammer Perpetuem, Accelerade for IM
POSTED: 6/30/09 3:37 PM

Any thoughts on the differences between the three? I got some Accelerade the other day to give it a try.

Seems to be okay on my stomach, but was wondering if there were other off-the-shelf products that are noticeably better.

I noticed on a website that Hammer is selling a product called Perpetuem that is twice as expensive as HEED... is there really that much difference?

ecurunr04's ravatar ecurunr04    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 31
RE: HEED, Hammer Perpetuem, Accelerade for IM
POSTED: 6/30/09 3:48 PM

Perpetuem has a lot more carbs and sodium than HEED. The bigger difference is that it has a considerable amount of protein per serving while HEED has none. I think perpetuem tastes like pancake batter as well. Pretty gross.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 616
POSTED: 6/30/09 3:56 PM

Congrats on your IM quest. Here's the difference:
HEED is like Gatorade, but with complex carbs instead of sugar. It's electrolytes and carbs.
Accelerade has protein - based on the science that sports drink w/protein does better. Accelerade is a great product used by many in our club (and marketed by club members).
Perpeteum is specially formulated for long endurance events. As it advertises, it has complex carbohydrates, soy protein, healthy fats, and nutrients such as sodium phosphate. Basically, it is food for long endurance days. It's much more substantial than HEED. Perpeteum is money if you want one source of energy. You can also condense Perpeteum into a 'paste' and carry it around all day as food. Consider though on an IM course you have multiple options (bananas, gels, pretzels, soup, coke, etc).
They are all good products, and different people swear by each. Perhaps try them and see what you like. If you can stomach Gatorade Endurance, then that might be worth it because they serve that on official Ironman courses. Getting used to the others means you have to supply your own on race day. With Gatorade or HEED, you'd probably want to get a protein source as well. Power bars are a good simple source of that.
Edit - just saw Ryan's post - as he mentions, each of these can be an 'acquired taste' :)

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 6/30/09 4:02 PM

Mmm, nothing quite matches the "deliciousness" of warm Perpetuem!

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 186
POSTED: 6/30/09 8:34 PM

I 'am' a big fan of deliciousness....

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria