Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Thieving thieves are biking my bike
CREATED: 08/02/10 by ajulia REPLIES: 11
ajulia's ravatar ajulia    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 145
Thieving thieves are biking my bike
POSTED: 8/02/10 12:52 PM

Just when you think you live in a safe neighborhood...

We had two road bikes stolen Saturday afternoon (July 31), around 1pm on a pleasant and busy street in Dupont. They were locked to a car rack outside my house at 19th and Swann. They were left unattended for about an hour.

Despite broad daylight, pedestrians everywhere and kids playing in the yard two houses down, someone cut the lock and made off with both bikes.

Descriptions are below. We have filed a police report and emailed the local bike shops, but if anyone tries to sell you a sweet ride at the Metro... please buy it, I'll pay you back at happy hour!

A few things I learned:
- Bike thieves are everywhere, all the time. Apparently this also just happened to Mayor Fenty, in his driveway.
- Your bike is not secure with a Kryptonite cable lock.
- Keep the receipts for your bike and major upgrades. This was very helpful as we were able to provide descriptions and serial numbers immediately.
- If you need to report a theft in DC, call 911 and ask for police. If you try calling the police department directly, they will tell you to hang up and call 911.
- The police dispatcher will tell you someone will call back and take a report. Insist that they dispatch a unit. Police reports for anything worth more than $1,000 cannot be done over the phone.
- If possible, stay at the scene until the police come. If you go to the police station, all they will do is offer to file a missing property report. The officers who came to my house understood bike thefts and were much more helpful.

Bike 1:
2005 Trek Madone 5.2 SL—Black & Silver
Full Ultegra components
Black Mavic Ksyrium SL Premium wheelset
Conti 4000 Grand Prix tires
Black Selle Italia gel saddle
Black Look Keo Carbon pedals
Two black Forte’ carbon water bottle cages
Black bento box
Red saddle bag

Bike 2:
2007 Fuji Professional 3.0—Red & Black
Tiagra/105 mix Components
Black Xero wheelset
Conti 4000 tires
Black Serfas saddle
Black Ritchey pedals
Black bento box
Black Cannondale saddle bag
Two black aluminum water bottle cages
Cateye Wired computer

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
RE: Thieving thieves are biking my bike
POSTED: 8/02/10 1:01 PM

thanks for the description of the bike and the circumstances.

it will make it much easier for someone to recognize the bikes/frame if they turn up on craigslist or something.

also good description of the situation as this is very helpful in teaching others about the situation.

looks like whoever did this was probably a very experienced/professional thief as noted by them haveing the proper tools on hand to quickly cut a sturdy cable lock by a top brand. A beginner or random person would have probably not had the proper tools on hand.

ducke's ravatar ducke    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 91
POSTED: 8/02/10 1:41 PM

Does Kryptonite have any type of warranty? Sorry to hear about the bikes.

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 248
POSTED: 8/02/10 2:17 PM

that totally stinks... sorry to hear it.
I read somewhere, relatively recently things you can do to prevent bike theft... I'll try to find it and post a link.
off the top of my head:
1) write down the serial number of your bike.
2) they recommend some sort of loosening so if the thief intends to physcially ride off with bike s/he won't get far because something will "break" - odds are hopefully in your favor that the thief won't know that only a minor adjustment will do the trick and they'd be scared off from trying to fix it.

now I'm on a mission... I'll try to find the article, I suspect it was in a Bicycling mag.

sorry again

ecrandlemire's ravatar ecrandlemire    JOINED: 4/13/10    POSTS: 63
POSTED: 8/02/10 2:22 PM

I'm sorry to hear about the theft of these two bikes. Its brings up another question I have long had, do insurance companies offer bike insurance similar to car insurance?

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 248
POSTED: 8/02/10 2:26 PM

here's one article that talks about U-Locks and insurance (if you paid for it when you bought the lock): http://bicycleuniverse.info/eqp/theft.html

not the article I had in mind, but good info all the same.

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
POSTED: 8/02/10 2:38 PM

Most insurance companies will cover bikes under their homeowners or renters policies, even if the bike is stolen out of a car. Some may require a rider to your policy, others may not, so it's best to call and ask.

USAA covers bikes under its renter's/homeowner's insurance policies, no rider required.

SeanG's ravatar SeanG    JOINED: 4/8/09    POSTS: 160
POSTED: 8/02/10 4:36 PM

But without a rider, what's the purpose of a bike?

(Sorry, bored at work and had to do it, against my better judgment)

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 8/02/10 4:43 PM

Bikes usually are covered under homeowners/rental policies but some your policy may have a coverage limit for bikes that is lower than the cost of your bike so it is worth checking your specific policy. For example, I'm pretty sure that my cyclocross bike (retail price $500) is covered. I'm not as sure that my tri-bike with race wheels, etc. (retail price unknown) falls within my coverage limits.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 8/03/10 10:18 AM

I had a U Lock with a collar and parked my bike outside while I went into a health club for 20 mins to take a shower after crew practice. Stolen on K St during AM rush hour. That was 20 years ago. Ever since then, I don't leave my bike outside locked up anywhere! A lock is no deterrent to a thief who wants a really nice bike or two. I ride my old Cannondale when I am going some place I need to leave my bike. Sorry - this is too little too late.

janice    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 17
POSTED: 8/03/10 10:59 AM

I am so sorry Julia! How horrible. A homeowners/renters policy typically would cover a standard bike however, if you have a higher end road/tri/mountain/whatever, you will likely need to explain this to the insurer and purchase a rider for the bike. Replacing an old ten speed is very different than a fully loaded bike. It is the same as with higher end jewelry, high end electronics, etc. I am so sorry about your bikes!
What a crappy way to end your weekend!

jen_'s ravatar jen_    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 162
POSTED: 8/03/10 11:51 AM

This sucks. I had my bike stolen outside of SSPT back in December when I went in for 1 hour for an appointment.

In addition to keeping receipts, take pictures of your bike and other upgrades - wheels, saddles, pedals, etc - anything that's not stock on the bike. Keep these on file just in case. I have USAA renters insurance and they did cover it. They were easy to deal with.

Keep an eye on craigslist, too.

jen

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria