Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

EagleMan/Cambridge race prep brick Sun 5/26/13
CREATED: 05/08/13 by rah2774 REPLIES: 9
rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 246
EagleMan/Cambridge race prep brick Sun 5/26/13
POSTED: 5/08/13 12:36 PM

Hi! I'm planning to head to Cambridge for a race rehearsal brick on Memorial Day Sunday (traditionally traffic isn't terrible that day getting across the bridge).

I'll do the full course ride (in my race set up - wheels, helmet, etc) and then run for an hour off the bike. If you're registered for EM and have never been out there, I'd recommend the trip - to acclimate to the wind, etc., and get a sense of your race day plan. And, if you've never done a HIM before and EM will be your first, this will be a great chance to test out your race day nutrition plan.

I hate to make the trek alone (especially after my breakdown in Poolesville last weekend... ugh). Let me know if you're game to go. Let's plan on clipping in at 9am.

-becky

merriamk's ravatar merriamk    JOINED: 9/10/12    POSTS: 41
RE: EagleMan/Cambridge race prep brick Sun 5/26/13
POSTED: 5/08/13 1:12 PM

Hi Becky - this sounds like a great idea. Count me in

-kenn

mjraugust's ravatar mjraugust    JOINED: 12/15/11    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 5/08/13 1:31 PM

I am actually getting ready for my first half Iron at Rev3 Williamsburg not Eagleman, but I'd love to tag along if there's someone I could catch a ride with. I don't have race wheels so I am guessing I will be slower (I averaged 19mph at Nation's, 17mph on the hilly Monticelloman course). Let me know if I could snag a ride from Columbia Heights or somewhere near there to join all you.

-Mark

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1044
POSTED: 5/08/13 9:22 PM

Keep me in the loop on this. I have a state track meet the day before so depending how our teams does I may get down to EM.

I was just out there Saturday for the 6 Pillars Century and it was windy like crazy. I have a feeling that the weather at Eagleman will be rather cool.

kawaik    JOINED: 1/7/11    POSTS: 6
POSTED: 5/09/13 11:43 AM

Hi Becky,

Racing EM and I have never been there. Please count me in.

Thanks.

Kyoko

mjraugust's ravatar mjraugust    JOINED: 12/15/11    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 5/09/13 12:04 PM

BTW the map on the race website is not very good, but someone from the club posted a great cue sheet we can use: http://www.dctriclub.org/uploads/file/Eagleman%20course%20cue%20sheet.pdf

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1044
POSTED: 5/09/13 12:23 PM

Or you can use the one on the www.6pillarscentury.com website. Click 56 mile option.

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 360
POSTED: 5/09/13 1:22 PM

The ground is marked up - so cue sheets aren't required. Also make sure you have enough liquids on you, there are very few places you can stop by to pick up more water on the back stretch of that course. have fun guys! If I have nothing else to do, I might also join you.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1285
POSTED: 5/09/13 3:01 PM

I've ridden that course 5-6 times over the years ... never needed a cuesheet. Just follow the arrows painted on the road :)

There are only two tricky parts.
1. mile 0-1. There are no arrows that I can remember, during that stretch.

2. Comming back (mile 54-ish), you are on a straight road. You make a left into an area that is blocked off with barricades. You can bike through the barricades since they are designed to block cars, not bikes. The barricades are removed from the street during the race, but are there or were there for the rest of the year. Some people have ridden right past it. There are arrows, but you question it since it tells you to turn into blocked off roads. Just pay attention.

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 246
POSTED: 5/22/13 10:09 AM

Just wanted to bump this up - since the day is almost upon us!

For those of you interested in getting some exposure (literally... it's windy without much shade) to the EM course pre-race, join me for a brick on Sunday, May 26th.

I plan to clip in at 9am and do the full course then hop off the bike for about an hour run.

As Tuan noted, the roads are marked with arrows so it's very easy to follow the course. I've never used a cue sheet here (and, to be honest, looking at it confuses the heck out of me). With respect to the course, there's really only one thing to keep in mind, follow the EM marks, not the CM marks (CM is the 140.6 that Columbia Tri puts on in Sept).

I've ridden the course at least a dozen times the last few years and raced EM 3x (and done several other HIMs and IMs) - so if there are any newbies to EagleMan or newbies to HIMs in general I'm happy to answer any Q's you may have the best I can.

Since race day is almost upon us I would highly recommend following your race day plan on Sunday - pre-race meal (factoring in the time you eat in relation to the time you start), gear/kit, race day nutrition, etc - to be sure everything works for you.

My personal email is rah.2774@gmail.com if you want to ask me a Q privately.

Oh, I'm 5'4 with short dark hair and I'll be wearing a "Pursuit Athletic Performance" kit (it's white with red and blue) and I drive a silver Audi with 26.2 and 140.6 stickers on the back window. Only mentioning this as I anticipate a lot of riders out there this Sun doing the same thing... there usually are.

See you Sunday.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria