Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

General Smallwood Swim
CREATED: 07/09/12 by jorlie REPLIES: 23
jorlie's ravatar jorlie    JOINED: 11/19/10    POSTS: 57
General Smallwood Swim
POSTED: 7/09/12 7:08 AM

1st I want to congratulate everyone that was out there. BTW-this is probably one of the “best” priced tris, price of a local olympic & experience of a ½ IM. Tough day.

Now, what was up with the swim? I know we had 87 water temp & weeds that felt like fish nets. Did we have a current going out? Did anybody used a garmin under the cap and got a reading? I’m curious to know how long was the swim course. Thoughts?

Jorlie

jennyl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 40
RE: General Smallwood Swim
POSTED: 7/09/12 7:14 AM

My garmin measured it at almost 1900 yds... and I usually swim pretty straight!

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 495
POSTED: 7/09/12 7:16 AM

Since the new software update all the swim measurements using my garmin have been really accurate. For Saturday I have 0.98 miles (1,577 m) so my guess is that the course was pretty close to the 1.5 K. I didn't use the orange buoys because those were way off, I swam from yellow to yellow.

However, I did have a really slow swim.

smaguire2    JOINED: 5/18/11    POSTS: 29
POSTED: 7/09/12 7:28 AM

my garmin measured 1.1 miles. i was always in the wrong place in the water though, and the map of what I did (assuming accuracy) is somewhat comical.

astolz1's ravatar astolz1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 539
POSTED: 7/09/12 8:13 AM

My garmin said 1.04 miles = 1674 m. Jenny, 1900 yds = 1737m. 1.1mi = 1770 m so... guess that means Alejandro missed a buoy, kidding!
I wish I swam straight but that doesn't happen. I was all over the place going out to the far yellow turn buoy, slighty straighter on the other two legs.
I think the garmin swim algorithm is fairly accurate on distance but the map still comes out as if your were drunk. More info on DC Rainmakers blog if you're curious.
The hydrilla ws ten times worse when I did this race in '08.
- Adam

tgrollman's ravatar tgrollman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 226
POSTED: 7/09/12 8:19 AM

I'm so glad you guys are talking about this because I was so confused why my swim took me 12 minutes longer than it normally does. I mean the water was gross and I kept having to pull seaweed out of my jersey, but still....

I thought Eagleman traumatized me, but General Smallwood will forever haunt my dreams!

Congrats to everyone DC Tri on another great win on such a miserable day.

Tania.

04swiger's ravatar 04swiger    JOINED: 6/21/10    POSTS: 25
POSTED: 7/09/12 11:32 AM

Yeah I thought the swim was slow as well, so 100-200 meters extra will make a difference. Plus a few near-stops to unwrap my arms from the rope/hydrilla.

sucrame's ravatar sucrame    JOINED: 4/15/11    POSTS: 6
POSTED: 7/09/12 1:02 PM

I was wondering if anyone else thought that they were being drowned by The Nature. I couldn't believe how many times I had to unwrap it from around my neck!

smaguire2    JOINED: 5/18/11    POSTS: 29
POSTED: 7/09/12 1:50 PM

You guys should have followed me; there wasn't much of that junk where I was until the very end. But then it would have taken you two weeks to do the swim, too.

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 7/09/12 2:37 PM

I should have ignored the orange buoys, I guess! My Garmin (910xt) also said exactly 1.04 miles... I'm usually a pretty crummy sighter, but when I got out and looked at my watch, I was pretty stunned. Took me 10 minutes longer than usual.

christyj's ravatar christyj    JOINED: 3/24/12    POSTS: 9
POSTED: 7/09/12 6:39 PM

Yep, the swim was a seaweed tango for me as well, especially that final leg, though I realized about at the end that I was swimming quite a bit off to the left! No wonder I was encountering so few other swimmers and so much seaweed! I have to say, though, the swim was not as bad as I expected. The water was just a murky as every other open water tri I have done, and it wasn't as hot as I thought it would be. It was the flat tire out of T1 that was the biggest challenge of the day...besides the run!

npleisch    JOINED: 4/5/12    POSTS: 134
POSTED: 7/09/12 7:39 PM

Ha... I missed this whole thread until just now. I don't feel bad that the swim took as long as last year's half IM.

On a related note, did anyone else notice NOBODY did the run in sub-40? First time I've ever seen an Oly tri where nobody broke 40 mins. That, however, had nothing to do with distance and everything to do with the triple digit temps.

courtr26's ravatar courtr26    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 117
POSTED: 7/10/12 7:25 AM

Whew! It's nice to read everyone's thoughts about the swim. I was so let down when I got out of that swim and saw my time was 8 min. slower than I thought it should be...it was about the same time as my half IM time a few weeks ago. Plus, I felt like I was going faster but Mr. Wiggly took FOREVER to apear at the finish! ;)

slowtwitchva's ravatar slowtwitchva    JOINED: 2/18/10    POSTS: 207
POSTED: 7/10/12 8:19 AM

I had a nightmare about Mr. Wiggly last night.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 459
POSTED: 7/10/12 9:25 AM

The swim had to be long. I was faster at Eagleman than Smallwood. Plus not having the sighting buoys laid out correctly didn't help.

I too noticed that no one broke 40 for the run. Typically I can hammer out a sub-40 10K in an Oly, but not with Saturday's heat!

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 7/10/12 9:35 AM

I was faster at Eagleman, too! Ack!

hina's ravatar hina    JOINED: 9/4/11    POSTS: 44
POSTED: 7/10/12 2:08 PM

This was my first time using my Garmin for an OWS, and it measured 0.93 miles, BUT... my time was waaay slower than usual :/ And I'm already a slow swimmer.

I was wearing the Garmin on my wrist- would that be the reason for a possibly inaccurate distance calculation?

gabroe's ravatar gabroe    JOINED: 8/27/10    POSTS: 69
POSTED: 7/10/12 4:17 PM

Ha! I also had a similar time as Eagleman, I'm usually like 7 minutes faster... what a day, I'll never forget it.

afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 257
POSTED: 7/10/12 7:36 PM

@smaguire2 - I was with you. I only hit a bit of hydrilla at the end of the swim. Hydrilla detour was not fast :-(

Gato's ravatar Gato    JOINED: 4/25/11    POSTS: 46
POSTED: 7/10/12 9:16 PM

The only reason I didn't complain about my horrible swim time was because I was so busy complaining about my horrible run time. Wiggly man is haunting my nightmares. Why is he smiling when so many are suffering around him?

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria