Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

General Smallwood Swim
CREATED: 07/09/12 by jorlie REPLIES: 23
KazGirl    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 19
RE: General Smallwood Swim
POSTED: 7/11/12 9:25 AM

Jumping in.... My Garmin 910XT measured 1650m and I know I drifted a bit to the right on the first long leg up the course. Hydrilla grabbed me as I turned into the last yellow buoy and the rest of the way into the swim fniish! I prefer the hydrilla instead of people swimming over me! :)

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 357
POSTED: 7/11/12 10:14 AM

i thought the swim was a bit long too... but with all of those bouys it was easy to accidentally add 50 or 100m by drifting offcourse... particularly on the way back in the sun. the weeds were killer... fortunately i read about that in an old 2009 high cloud post.

i saw my swim split was a 10:28. yes, a 10:28... faster than the 4 guys that beat me out of the water in my wave... fast enough to qualify for the olympics, and several mins under the 1500m open water world record! what happened to the timing!?

tycottrill    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 100
POSTED: 7/11/12 10:35 AM

That's a fast swim. I was also impressed by the 42 minute bike split that was posted. At over 34 mph, he rode significantly faster than Cancellara could manage in the 4 mile Tour prologue.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1047
POSTED: 7/11/12 10:52 AM

A few things that need to be looked at is the extremely warm water temperature (87 degrees) and how uncomfortable it is to compete in. Also, some of you are comparing this swim to your EM swim. If you wore a wetsuit at EM and you are not a strong swimmer, that could mean 2-4 minutes slower without one combined with the 87 degree water.

FINA reccommends that the pool water for competition to be between 77 and 82 degrees. Not trying to be a know it all. It's just that these points were not brought up.

I was not there on Saturday, but I did swim in the James River at last year's club champs. That 91 degree water felt like I was swimming through soup - very thick and heavy.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria