Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Transition Advice/Clinic?
CREATED: 05/12/09 by skelly99 REPLIES: 16
skelly99's ravatar skelly99    JOINED: 3/1/09    POSTS: 37
Transition Advice/Clinic?
POSTED: 5/12/09 2:17 PM

Hey everyone. I know that there are a bunch of us NTPers signed up for the sprint on June 21 at the ITU race in DC. Question- will there be any clinics scheduled before then to discuss how to make the transitions, share tips/tricks, etc.?

I know we don't have the NJ State Tri until July, so if there isn't anything scheduled, is anyone willing to do this? I have absolutely no idea what the transitions entail... anything from where/how to set up my stuff to how to actually do it during the race.

Thanks!!

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 708
RE: Transition Advice/Clinic?
POSTED: 5/12/09 3:08 PM

Don't know about any clinics - but here is some info I picked up along the way that may be helpful -

1) Look for your # on the rack. The stickers with the #s alternate from one side of the rack to the other. You should place your bike forward on the side of the sticker, as should be your gear.
2) Take up as little room as possible with your gear. No beach blankets - you really only get the size of two hand towels lineds up end to end.
3) An extra hand towel may be helpful to wipe your feet off during T1.
4) I put my helmut, sunglasses and bike gloves on my aerobars.
5) Running shoes, visor, tri belt with race number on the side of my bike on the transistion towel (hand towel or other towle folded up). I put the tri belt inside my running shoes so I don't forget to put it on. You can be disqualified for not wearing your #. Many Triers have left transistion without their numbers.
6) Make sure your fluids are loaded onto your bike.
7) If you have gels - put them somewhere where you won't forget them.
In the May Issue of Metro Sports there was a brief, but good article on Transitions, including how to peel off the wetsuit - my major challenge in T1.

Make sure you check your bike the morning of the race (if have to rack the night before) and get to the transition area in plenty of time to make last minute adjustments. Two years ago at Irongirl Columbia, my valve snapped in half (for no reason at all, but to instill panic) and shot across the field. I had to search for the mechanic tent and get the tire changed. Not a problem, but did take some time and got me a bit unsettled.

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 5/12/09 3:28 PM

The online calendar doesn't have anything listed but I'd be happy to lead a clinic in the MD/NW DC area. As a mentor, am I allowed to just set something up?

The best way to learn is to practice, practice, practice so I'd envision doing it in Rock Creek where we could set up a mock transition area on the grass and then get out on the road with our bikes. Maybe on a weekend morning before or after a ride? If you're interested or want to shoot down the idea, e-mail me.

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 5/12/09 4:27 PM

I think we should ask the NTP program director to set it up, so that they can get a place to organize and they can have a max participation. I am willing to help out and teach transition, it's one of the first things I learned, because it can be so confusing.

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 221
POSTED: 5/12/09 6:48 PM

My favorite transition question: "how do I change in transition... I mean, can I get naked?". Oh, wait... I actually asked that same question a few years ago. LOL

Regarding the space thing... at the Kinetic Sprint this past weekend I almost saw two guys go fistacuffs over space (or lack thereof). There's definitely etiquette involved so respect thy neighbor!

There's a lot to know and practicing your transitions is clutch! Very few ways to gain 'free speed'... T1 & T2 being the best places to start.

I'll be glad to help out with a transition clinic.

ashleynellis1's ravatar ashleynellis1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 84
POSTED: 5/13/09 11:47 AM

I think a transition clinic is a great idea. I'm an NTP-er who foolishly signed up for the June 21 tri.

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 185
POSTED: 5/13/09 11:58 AM

Don't know if they are doing them this year, but the training tri's run by DC Tri at Hains Point were great practice last year.

Just watch what everyone else does (except me).

Number 1 rule: Take care of your helmet first. Don't get DQ'd for riding without it; Don't do the run with it still on...

alya72's ravatar alya72    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 49
POSTED: 5/13/09 1:05 PM

We usually do a transition clinic closer to the goal race. That being said, given the request above, we are trying to find a date to have a transition clinic earlier for NTPers who may be doing a race before the NJ Tri. The club training tri on 6/6/09 is on your training scheudle, and it is a great place to practice transitions in a pseudo-race environment.

Amy

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 5/13/09 4:17 PM

ah transitions the 4th leg of triathlons.

all it takes is practice. there are some "tricks" or "steps" you can do to make things more organized but it comes down to practice either on your own in training or by doing lots of races. there is no substitute for practicing transitions.

--fast is slow, deliberate is fast--

read that in some triathlon article about transitions and it rings very true.

charlie's ravatar charlie    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 61
POSTED: 5/13/09 5:50 PM

You can get ALOT of good practice time in on the saturday bricks the club does (not sure when they start). That helped me a ton last year. I would run one loop, transition, bike a loop, transition, etc... that logic may be better suited for a duathlete, but you will gain confidence and good transition techniques.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1064
POSTED: 5/14/09 12:16 AM

First training Tri will be June 6th. Excuse me, I'm just up late as I mourn the Caps loss tonight.

marysue20    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 17
POSTED: 5/14/09 10:03 AM

What does the first training Tri entail and where is it? I'd like to participate if possible...especially if it involves swimming in open water (I need to practice that because it kind of terrifies me haha).

Signed,
Scared NTPer :)

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 5/14/09 10:19 AM

The training tris are held at Hains Point. We swim in the outdoor 50m pool, and then ride and run around the point. Transition is set up in the grassy median in the middle of the road. The distances are short - I think it's a 400m swim, ~17mi bike (3 long loops), and 5K run (1 short loop). It's a great opportunity to practice transition and to put all 3 legs of the race together. Also, we usually grill out afterwards, so it's pretty awesome to be able to say that you finished a triathlon and ate 2 burgers before most people have even woken up!

For the NTPers, don't worry, we are planning to go over transition set-up for you beforehand. You can also always ask your mentors for help/advice.

skelly99's ravatar skelly99    JOINED: 3/1/09    POSTS: 37
POSTED: 5/14/09 2:15 PM

All, just wanted to say thanks for all the great advice and feedback on this! Definitely looking forward to a clinic and/or the training tri to work on the transitions.

Seth

karlayortiz's ravatar karlayortiz    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 16
POSTED: 5/15/09 8:59 AM

What time do they usually start?

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 5/31/09 8:52 PM

this is a good video with tips for transistions.

good pointers are practive and keep it simple and small area.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/training/training-video-comfort-vs.-speed-in-transitions.html

steph_430    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 33
POSTED: 6/01/09 8:57 AM

This was a great thread, and I wished I had seen it before yesterday, my first tri!! I was worried about the transitions as well, knowing absolutely nothing about transitions, but found most of it to be pretty intuitive.

I watched folks around me set up their areas, since they all seemed like they knew what they were doing. The guy racked next to me was super nice and gave me pointers about setting up my area - pretty much what's been indicated above. Small and simple is the best advice for the transition area. Keep everything not absolutely needed tucked away in a small bag.

During the race I just did my thing as best I could during transition - keeping the area neat during T1 before going out on the bike (instead of being tempted to just leave everything around because it seems to take time to clear it up) makes T2 a lot easier - good advice I was given that I managed to follow pretty well and I know it helped. Transition

didn't go so bad for me yesterday and it was great practice for the next race!

steph

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria