Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

CUBU Swim Sessions
CREATED: 07/01/09 by breeyag REPLIES: 11
breeyag's ravatar breeyag    JOINED: 4/13/09    POSTS: 17
CUBU Swim Sessions
POSTED: 7/01/09 8:06 AM

Does anyone know if Curl Burke Masters at AU will be offering another Freestyle Clinic for triathletes this summer? The last one just concluded this past Sunday, so I was hoping they may be starting one up in July. I am interested in signing up. Has anybody heard anything? I've e-mailed the contact there and received no response thus far. Thanks!

Rish

tgrollman's ravatar tgrollman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 222
RE: CUBU Swim Sessions
POSTED: 7/01/09 9:38 AM

Hi there.

I heard back from Alex and they are going to be having another session, but the details are not in yet. More then likely it will start on the 12th and be Sunday mornings since they are looking at holding them in an outdoor pool.

I will let you know when I hear back from her with more information.

Tania

POSTED: 7/01/09 11:02 AM

Hi Tania,

If you could keep me posted, I would definitely appreciate it! Thanks so much!

Aarish

POSTED: 7/02/09 10:56 AM

Aarish

I heard back from Alex about the swim clinics, her email to me is below:

There will be two more clinics offered this summer. I will include the information below for you. I am the person to contact with any questions and to sign up for the session so just let me know if one of these clinics work for you! The clinic at AU is not set in stone yet as far as who will be running it, but there will be one at AU on Sunday nights. The Old Keene Mill clinic is all set however.

CUBU Masters will be offering two freestyle clinic choices for the remainder of the summer:

1. Old Keene Mill Pool in Burke, Virginia - This clinic will consist of a six session series on Sunday mornings from 8 - 9:30 am in a beautiful 8 lane, 50 meter outdoor pool conveniently located just off of the Fairfax County Parkway in Burke, Virginia. The clinic will begin on Sunday, July 12 and run through Sunday August 16, with a make-up session on Sunday, August 23.

This clinic will build upon the concepts and drills that were learned during previous AU freestyle clinics. At the first session, all swimmers will initially be screened and placed into beginner, intermediate, or advanced groups. For all athletes, the first 45-60 minutes of each clinic will be dedicated to either stroke instruction, stroke drills of varying complexity, above water and underwater videotaping, and work on group starts, sighting buoys while swimming, turning around buoys or other markers, and pacing and finishing races. The remaining 45-60 minutes of each session will consist of carefully planned workouts with on-deck and in-water feedback of stroke technique and swimming efficiency. Swimmers will be able to swim between 1000 and 3000meters during these sessions, depending on ability and stroke progression.

We have the ability to configure this Olympic-sized pool any way we would like, and for at least two of the sessions, we will set up the entire pool with buoys and start and finish points, to practice training and racing in a simulated open-water environment.

Old Keene Mill is located on several paved biking and running trails that go around Burke Lake and Lake Mercer (10 mile circuit) and also extends all the way to the W&OD bike trail, so optional biking and running routes will be planned and offered after each pool session at no additional cost.

9534 Orion Ct
Burke, VA
22015-3242
Telephone:
(703) 455-1312
http://www.oldkeenemillpool.com/

COST: $75 for the six week session

CONTACT INFORMATION: Alex Wessel at Alexandra Wessel <aw7377a@student.american.edu>

2. The AU Pool will be closed for two and half weeks in August for annual maintenance, but starting Sunday, July 12 and continuing for the next three weeks, "drop-in" sessions from 6 - 7:30 pm will be held for all triathletes interested in continuing with their stroke improvement and also desiring some training under the watchful eyes of stroke coaches on-deck. Attendance at these weekly drop-in sessions will also allow attendance at CUBU Masters Saturday 5-6:30 pm and Sunday 8-10 am morning workouts at no additional cost.

POSTED: 7/02/09 11:08 AM

Thanks for passing this along Tania!

I'd like to attend the session at Burke, but I didn't attend the clinic at AU. I wonder if that would be a problem. I'll contact Alex ask her. Thanks again!

Aarish

POSTED: 7/08/09 9:44 AM

Has anybody had success registering for these CUBU clinics? I've sent a couple of e-mails to the POC and have as of yet heard no response. Do they usually wait until just before the first weekend to let us know if we've successfully registered, or should I try contact them again? I don't want to be a thorn in their side, but I really need help with my swimming! :)

Thanks!

ajm27's ravatar ajm27    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 7/08/09 10:55 AM

From my experience, they rarely (if ever) responded to emails. Typically I have sent an email suggesting my desire to participate/register and then just show up. I hope I am not offering wrong information but again, this has been my experience.

POSTED: 7/08/09 10:59 AM

I emailed Alexandra again today letting her know I was signing up for the Burke lessons, but have not heard back. I plan on just showing up with check in hand.

If I do hear anything I will let you know.

Anyone live in the city that maybe want to car-pool?

Tania

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 199
POSTED: 7/08/09 11:36 AM

Since this is slightly different info than listed above, I figured I would forward. Just got this from Tamara (one of the head CUBU coaches for these triathlon / freestyle specific clinics) regarding the upcoming session:

'For the next 4 sundays (starting on the 12th at 6:15 pm) we will be offering a drop-in clinic at the Reeves Aquatic Center at AU. The cost is $15 per week. The practice will be structured like our previous clinics, such that there will be a beginner, intermediate and advanced group. Swimmers will be placed based on their ability.'

SO... you don't need to 'register' this time around. Just show up to the AU pool Sunday @ 615P with $15 and you're all set.

Cheers!

POSTED: 7/08/09 11:38 AM

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll also just plan to show up with check in hand if I don't hear back.

Tania, I live in Rosslyn and would be down for carpooling. Feel free to e-mail me at aarishpg at yahoo dot com.

Aarish

POSTED: 7/14/09 12:29 PM

FYI. I attended Sunday evening's drop-in class at American, and it was incredibly helpful. The majority of us there were all beginners, so the 2 coaches set up about 10-12 drills to help with our balance and stroke. I knew I needed help, but it was pretty clear I didn't have a clue. By the end of the session I could definitely feel the difference between my old swimming technique and the one they're trying to hammer home. I'll be back next Sunday for sure.

hannanguyen    JOINED: 5/19/09    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 7/20/09 9:46 AM

I was at old keene mill pool at 8 am this past sunday and there was no one there-- does anyone know what the deal is?

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria