Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Movies to Workout to
CREATED: 12/30/10 by spleary REPLIES: 23
spleary's ravatar spleary    JOINED: 8/17/10    POSTS: 73
Movies to Workout to
POSTED: 12/30/10 10:19 AM

A race in March in Puerto Rico, PERFECT!

Having to train through the winter....not so perfect.

I've been spending a lot of time on my shiny new bike trainer. I've been trying to find good movies/programs to watch while pedaling away. Prefontaine, great workout movie. Driving Ms Daisy, not so much.

Anyone seen any good movies recently (or not recently) that will keep one from going crazy on the trainer?

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
RE: Movies to Workout to
POSTED: 12/30/10 10:36 AM

IMHO, anything really engaging is a good workout movie, so it depends on your preferences. I'm all over a cheesy RomCom or stupid teen movies that I would not normally take 2 hours to just sit and watch.

I recently did a couple of early morning trainer workouts to "The Runaways" with Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning. Those minutes/miles *FLEW* by!

My Netflix just delivered "Hot Tub Time Machine," so I suspect I will be pedalling to that sometime soon.

Have fun!!

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 12/30/10 11:21 AM

here are some movies

Universal soldier Regeneration - brings back JCVD and Dolph in one movie again (absolutely terrible movie)

Hunger - Horrorfest 2010 movie with 5 poeple in 1 room for over 30 days and they then have to eat each other to live (again terrible movie even for a horror movie)

Lady Vengence - Korean suspense movie about revenge with a female protagonist (very slow moving movie, but has 2 or 3 scenes that are great and funny)

Old boy - Korean suspense movie made by same guy that did lady vengence, again somewhat boring at times, but has a good twist in it and has some good scenes that have a sick humor to them.

Infernal Affairs - Hong Kong movie, was the movie that The Departed from Martin Scorsese ripped off big time, the HK version is much better in that its 1.5 hours long and wraps the entire story up perfectly in that time, very tight well done film.

The Audition - by Tekaki Maki, japanese horror/suspense movie, don't want to give this one away, but basically its the slowest moving 1:20 movie you will ever watch, most of it really sucks bad, but you wait for the last 15 minutes, possibly one of the sickest torture scenes you have in any movie, not because of gore (bc there is none, unlike the saw movies) but because its somewhat plausible.

Hurt Locker - Possibly the most boring and terrible movie to ever win an academy award, the characters and their development is not only predictable but fomulaic at best. This will put you to sleep on the trainer. Makes you appreciate why Platoon won best picture, because that was actually a great film.

The Green Zone- its an ok movie but again it isn't anything special so it might be good for the trainer.

Memento- old christopher nolan directed film the film that started it all, great movie great concept.

Run Fat Boy Run- Simon Pegg movie that is supposed to be funny, and it does have "running a marathon" in it, but honestly the movie sucks a$$ big time, it takes a close second in the sucky scale to most of the recent Will Farrell movies, namely, Blade of Glory, wow that movie really was bad.

Well good luck, basically nothing makes the trainer fun, have fun with these movies. LOL

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1045
POSTED: 12/30/10 1:12 PM

Personally, I love watching Gladiator and Miracle. I'd also throw in some of the Rocky movies as well. Rumor has it that Tuan is a secret WWE watcher.

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 12/30/10 8:21 PM

TOP GUN

I feel the need...the need for SPEED!

POSTED: 12/30/10 9:01 PM

any movie by Coach Troy!

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 361
POSTED: 12/30/10 10:40 PM

I watched Chicago and Kill Bill last week. Good times :)

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 514
POSTED: 1/02/11 12:38 AM

I hate doing indoor workouts, but I found that The Rock made some of those workouts bearable last year.

I might also go for movies with a lot of action, chase or running scenes. Apocalypto has a lot of running scenes. Maybe not quite like a marathon, but maybe seeing the protagonist getting chased by jaguars and enemy warriors will get your blood pumping.

Or the Keanu Reeves movie, Speed. You don't even need to listen to the dialogue. Just watch the racing bus and subway train.

RJohnson1979's ravatar RJohnson1979    JOINED: 9/13/09    POSTS: 81
POSTED: 1/04/11 4:26 PM

Anyone heard of or seen the documentary "The Distance: A Triathlete's Journey?" Was wondering if it was any good... I like to torture myself by watching movies about training, while training... on the trainer...

ctd1    JOINED: 1/4/11    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 1/04/11 11:07 PM

How about Spartacus, the series? It's on Starz. New favorite.

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 1/05/11 10:39 AM

Rocky IV montage. On repeat.
Enter the Dragon.
Pumping Iron.
American Psycho.
Gladiator.
Rocky II montage. On repeat.

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 203
POSTED: 1/05/11 2:03 PM

Godzilla vs. Biollante

saubbie23's ravatar saubbie23    JOINED: 1/11/11    POSTS: 97
POSTED: 1/12/11 2:33 PM

Basically any Stallone movie, have seen a few people said Rocky, go ahead and expand that to all of his films, and you won't even realize that you are working hard because the story is so engrossing, the acting so compelling, and the action so amazing.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 514
POSTED: 1/12/11 2:57 PM

But how can you train to "Stop or My Mom Will Shoot"? The title tells me to STOP so I have to stop. If the title of a Stallone movie tells you to do something, you have to obey.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 945
POSTED: 1/12/11 3:04 PM

So what does Rhinestone tell you to do? :::^)::

saubbie23's ravatar saubbie23    JOINED: 1/11/11    POSTS: 97
POSTED: 1/12/11 4:50 PM

Rhinestone is one of the greatest films of all time, if that doesn't get you amped to workout, nothing will. In my book, when he starts singing is the greatest moment in American cinema. The Stop! or My Mom Will Shoot thing is quite a conundrum.

eric guzmanaalv's ravatar eric guzmanaalv    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 140
POSTED: 1/12/11 5:59 PM

All TDF from 1999 to 2005 - 2007 -2009 or a good basketball game

POSTED: 1/12/11 7:27 PM

geez i totally forgot about the singing part in rhinstone.. that is classic american cinema right ther no doubt.

but come on, you have to watch battlefield earth with john travolta in it, after close to 2:20 minutes of it, if you can watch the entire thing with your eyes open any ironman or such is easy after that.

POSTED: 1/16/11 6:26 PM

I saw the last 30 minutes of a movie called "American Flyers" on TV the other day. It was released in 1985. Kevin Costner starred, back before he became a household name. The movie has something to do with sibling rivalry between Costner and his character's brother. They decide to sign up for a multistage bicycle race in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado.

Apparently a lot of the bike race action was filmed during the real-life Coors Classic cycling race, formerly one of the premier cycling races in the world. Cycling legend Eddy Merckx apparently has a cameo in the movie.

You'll learn about racing strategy in the movie too. For example, if you have a fierce rivalry with someone, it's OK to punch him while both of you are riding. It's also acceptable to try to force another rider off the side of the road and over a cliff while high up in the Rockies. There's also a cautionary theme about not riding in a brutal multistage bike race while suffering from a brain aneurysm.

I should warn you, however, that the movie is saturated with cheesy 1980s instrumental guitar/synth new wave-ish music. It almost makes the racing action seem like something from Terminator or a weekday afternoon creature-feature movie, even though it's not a sci-fi/war movie.

The last part of the movie primarily features scenes of the bike race. As long as you don't start punching competitors in races and the 1980s new wave music doesn't make you swear off of cycling altogether, it's worth a look. I have no idea what happened in the first half of the movie. But it doesn't matter. Keep the volume low and watch all of the bike racing action.

Note: The screenwriter, Steve Tesich, was a cycling enthusiast though he was never an elite competitor. He also wrote the screenplay for the better known cycling-themed movie "Breaking Away". From what I've read online, American Flyers has more bike racing scenes than Breaking Away did.

POSTED: 1/16/11 8:01 PM

that is some classic bike racing there in american flyers.

you have the mario cippolinni look a like for a main viillan and the classic russian american sort of tension going on.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria