DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

NTP: Last Minute Questions
CREATED: 06/14/10 by bcfrank REPLIES: 43
starcaro's ravatar starcaro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 60
RE: NTP: Last Minute Questions
POSTED: 6/16/10 1:41 PM

Gabby,

I might be able to let you borrow my jersey, I just need to wash it since I wore it for Eagleman on Sunday. I won't be going to the pre-race dinner, but I can prob give it to someone who will be there. Contact me at cmejiag at gmail to see if we could coordinate it so you can wear DCTri gear. It def makes a huge difference to have people cheering for you even if you don't know them.

Carolina

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 363
POSTED: 6/16/10 4:11 PM

Can you use chamois butter instead of body glide around ankles etc to help get your wetsuit off? or is chamois butter bad for wetsuits? or will it just wash off while i'm swimming?

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 6/16/10 5:59 PM

Pam - I think that Body Glide will work better than chamois butter for wetsuit purposes. I don't know if this is the case with your chamois butter, but mine seems to be water-soluble (it washes off pretty easily), so I don't think it would hold up through a swim. I've always used just Body Glide, but I've seen other people use cooking spray, but I'm pretty sure that's not good for the wetsuit. There's a silicone spray that I've heard works well called TriSlide, but I've never tried it.

-Sandy
NTP Co-leader

rwilliams25    JOINED: 12/28/09    POSTS: 12
POSTED: 6/16/10 8:44 PM

I won't have my Tri gear in time. I am a NTPer and would love the extra cheers. Does anyone have a ladies Tri top that I can borrow in a size medium or large?

Rebecca
rwilliams2500@gmail

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 213
POSTED: 6/17/10 9:30 AM

BIKE DROP...

As everyone has advised, rack your bike the day prior but leave nothing else- your 'area' will shift as other bikes are added to the rack.

When you rack your bike, let a small amount of air OUT of the tires. If you max out your tire pressure the day prior, temperature fluctuations & direct exposure to sunlight may cause the air in the tube to expand beyond max pressure, thus causing a flat.

NIGHT BEFORE...

Get all your gear together early in the evening. Here is a good race day checklist on the USAT website:

http://www.usatriathlon.org/resources/multisport-101/race-day-checklist

Grab an early dinner... 730P latest... to give your body time to digest all that pasta! Speaking of... carb-loading is good but don't gorge yourself or you risk... uh... 'complications' during your race. A slightly larger portion than normal should do just fine.

Early to bed. Easier said than done but, what I've learned is that, the more prepared you are the easier you'll fall asleep. You've done the hard work of training, your gear is ready to go... now it's time to just do the race and have fun!

race morning...

Get there early!!! There's nothing worse than causing additional stress by arriving late, scrambling to find enough space to get your transition area set up, standing in a huge line for the bathroom, and hopefully making it to the swim start before the gun goes off. The morning is already stressful enough!!!

Pump your tires back up... if you don't have a pump or don't plan to bring one, you can always borrow one in transition as plenty of people will have them.

Leave your bike in an easy gear. Seems simple but a lot of people forget. Don't be the person who clips in and keels over in front of all those spectators because you left your bike in a hard gear!

To beat the proverbial dead horse, take up as small a space as possible next to your bike. Use the length of your bike but only take up the width of your shoes. merlinkim did a great job of describing the ideal transition setup.

Getting your wetsuit on can be tough as it should fit tight at the wrists & ankles. You can wrap a plastic bag around your feet & ankles, use baby powder (seems counter-intuitive but it works), or TriSlide (which you should be able to buy at the expo or a local bike shop). You can also use Body Glide as it holds up better in the water than most anti-friction products. The wetsuit should come off much easier than it went on so don't worry as much about that.

Good luck to all the NTP'ers! Have a great race!!!

no-e-plz's ravatar no-e-plz    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 43
POSTED: 6/17/10 11:12 AM

All great advice from veterans. I happened to collect all my gear last night and did a dry run set up this morning and took some photos as an illustration. Might be helpful if you've never seen a transition set up before. With good planning, it really doesn't take much time at all and it's been my philosophy that you should spend as little time in transition fretting over things and then get out, get warmed up and find your zen space to mentally prepare for the race. http://picasaweb.google.com/cory.churches/TriathlonTransitionSetUpPhotos#

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
POSTED: 6/17/10 11:45 AM

Another tip - if you wear contact lenses, keep a spare pair in transition so if you lose a lens during the swim, you have a backup.

Oh, and never put body glide on your bare feet before a run and then walk across hardwood floors to retrieve your socks and shoes . . .

MeganShaw's ravatar MeganShaw    JOINED: 1/24/10    POSTS: 14
POSTED: 6/18/10 12:38 PM

Parking-

Does anyone know if there is a charge to park in the Old Convention Center parking lot? How much?

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1313
POSTED: 6/18/10 1:02 PM

That lot charges $10 for all day Sundays but all of the metered/Park 'N Go parking spaces surrounding that lot are free on Sundays.

chloevdc's ravatar chloevdc    JOINED: 1/25/10    POSTS: 63
POSTED: 6/18/10 2:18 PM

I noticed while watching Eagleman that a lot of the racers did not wear sunglasses on the run. Is there a reason for this or just personal preference? Any reason you would choose not to?

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1313
POSTED: 6/18/10 2:22 PM

Personal preference.

Most people don't wear sunglasses during training runs so they don't wear them during races. I fall under this cateogry.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 966
POSTED: 6/18/10 2:34 PM

"I like the whackos to see the whites of my eyes. A good glare can be just as effective as a gun, see what I mean?"

... it's just personal preference. I sometimes do. I sometimes don't.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 6/18/10 2:37 PM

Don't you all worry about cataracts and retina damage? (Not kidding on this one.) We spend a lot of time out in the sun. That's a lot of exposure to the sun, unless you do most of your training in the very early morning or late evening.

jameswilson's ravatar jameswilson    JOINED: 4/11/10    POSTS: 92
POSTED: 6/18/10 3:12 PM

I almost always wear sunglasses while running, and 100% while cycling.

It's just a habit I formed back when I had contacts, as the breeze would dry my eyes out. I had lasik to fix my eyes, but still prefer to wear them. Now I think of it more for safety from getting poked by a branch, which I always seem to not see when drained on the back end of a long run. Along with the UV-A/B protection.

MeganShaw's ravatar MeganShaw    JOINED: 1/24/10    POSTS: 14
POSTED: 6/18/10 4:09 PM

food-

Ok, I see eat carbs the night before, eat dinner by 7:30pm, what do i eat on Sunday morning? And don't say the gels because I don't like those. A banana? bowl of cereal? big breakfast? tiny breakfast? gatorade and a shot of tequila for courage?

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 6/18/10 4:18 PM

You should eat whatever you've been eating in the mornings before your workouts. Don't try experimenting with anything new on race day...especially when it comes to nutrition.

mcbkrun's ravatar mcbkrun    JOINED: 6/17/09    POSTS: 32
POSTED: 6/18/10 7:09 PM

I usually eat pasta the night before around 6/7 and then I go to bed around 8 p.m. I start drinking Gatorade the day before and definitely no water. Before going to bed I start to go over my checklist of everything I'm going to need the next day. I wake up at 5 (earlier if I gotta drive 20+miles) and then eat a banana and a medium size bowl of cereal without milk. I start drinking Gatorade around 6 and make my last visit to the porta-john. It's important not to drink alcoholic beverages the night before or you will be suffering on race day. I've started taking Saltstick capsules as I start cramping if it's hot outside.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 6/18/10 7:28 PM

remember everything that you read in the thread, now forget it.

have fun at the race and good luck.

mancala's ravatar mancala    JOINED: 4/22/09    POSTS: 20
POSTED: 6/19/10 1:17 AM

sandyc is right, it is really important not change your diet the night before/morning of the race. Make sure you eat bland foods especially in the morning maybe a bagel or toast with peanut butter. You mostly likely be nervous for the open water swim, so the best advice I can give is sit back, relax and let the pack go. Just my 2 cents this is my second season and I know my first race I was a little nervous/intimidated by the start of the swim.

dixonm's ravatar dixonm    JOINED: 7/1/09    POSTS: 73
POSTED: 6/19/10 9:37 AM

Good luck to all the NTPers! Go out there and have some fun. There will be lots of dc tri members cheering you on.

Matt

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria