Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next Page

Washington DC Triathlon - Roll Call
CREATED: 06/14/10 by PotomacTriathlete2009 REPLIES: 120
PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 524
Washington DC Triathlon - Roll Call
POSTED: 6/14/10 11:45 PM

With the WDC Tri coming up in just a few days, it's time for a roll call. I am particularly glad this race is coming up soon after I failed to make the swim cutoff time at yesterday's Eagleman HIM. (Partly because my goggles were messed up and I couldn't see anything at the beginning of the race and I went way off course, partly because of the current or the longer-than-advertised distance, but also partly because I'm a slow swimmer.) At least I should be close to 100% for WDC. I'm a little upset about Eagleman but I will channel that emotion into a positive outlet: attacking the WDC course and letting the roads know who's the boss. LOL

I see that there will be a very large group of beginners from the NTP program at the race. Good luck to each and everyone of you. I'd just like to point out that there is a possibility that wetsuits will not be allowed. I don't know the exact water temperature in and around the swim course but at Little Falls, not far up the Potomac, the current morning temperatures are hovering around 82F. Since the race is following USA Triathlon rules, if the water is that warm at the race site, then wetsuits will not be allowed except for those who don't care about age group awards or national ranking points. But if the water temperature sneaks up to 84F by this weekend, then wetsuits won't be allowed for anyone at all. Given that the temperatures are going to be very warm and hot this week, 84F water temperature is a very real possibility. I'd advise everyone, especially the beginners, to be prepared if the race director announces that wetsuits are prohibited for this race.

The wave start times are now available on the official website. You can check your personal webpage for wave start time and links to important race documents.

So who all is in this Sunday? And will this be your first triathlon?

rcmagnus's ravatar rcmagnus    JOINED: 1/23/10    POSTS: 43
RE: Washington DC Triathlon - Roll Call
POSTED: 6/15/10 7:48 AM

first tri ever...and I'm def getting nervous/excited!

harburgm's ravatar harburgm    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 94
POSTED: 6/15/10 8:20 AM

Hey all,

If you know someone not racing and they are a lifeguard, have them contact me. We need a couple more life guards for this weekend. It is a paid position! Here is the job description pasted below:

Life Guards for the Washington DC Triathlon, 2010
Lifeguards will be stationed along the shore of the Swim Course. Boats will be in the water but lifeguards will need to stay on shore for swimmers that may need help closer to the shore
DAY ONE: Saturday, June 19
TIME: 1230pm - 4pm
LOCATION: West Potomac Park on Ohio Drive between Independence Ave and West Basin Dr
ON-SITE CONTACT PERSON: Go to Volunteer Tent near the Transition Area and ask for Michelle Harburg
PAY: $10 per hour, Cash
LOGISTICS: Best way to get there is to either ride your bike, or park at the Old Convention Center and take the Shuttle over

DAY TWO: Sunday, June 20
TIME: 5am - 9am
LOCATION: West Potomac Park on Ohio Drive between Independence Ave and West Basin Dr
ON-SITE CONTACT PERSON: Go to Volunteer Tent near the Transition Area and ask for Carl Steiniger
PAY: $10 per hour, Cash
LOGISTICS: Best way to get there is to either ride your bike, or park at the Old Convention Center and take the Shuttle over
Google Map Link:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=117429510646802560049.000487ebf88757c002fb4&z=19
Course Map: http://www.dctri.com/courses/olympic-swim.html

TO APPLY: Contact Michelle Harburg at: michelle@wseminc.com
Cell: 734-255-2921

ABOUT THE WASHINGTON DC TRIATHLON
The 1st Annual Washington DC Triathlon™ will take place Sunday, June 20th, 2010 in the nation’s capital. Brought to you by the producers of The Nation’s Triathlon™, this inaugural event features Olympic and Sprint distance courses that offer breathtaking vistas, monumental landmarks and a finish line on America’s Main Street, Pennsylvania Avenue in the shadow of the U.S. Capitol Building.
http://www.dctri.com/index.html

harburgm's ravatar harburgm    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 94
POSTED: 6/15/10 8:25 AM

Also, for a last minute workshop on race day bike maintenance, CycleLife USA Bike Shops has a free Hands-On Race Day Maintenance Clinic on June 15th and June 17th. Registration is online at http://bit.ly/ayvgs6

If you miss those, on Friday and Saturday at the Expo there are Ready to Race Clinics going through transition and race day prep. Check out the weekend schedule here:
http://www.dctri.com/event-info-overview/event-info-weekend-schedule.html

Nate's ravatar Nate    JOINED: 2/23/10    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 6/15/10 9:27 AM

I'll be there! NTPer doing my first race.

stivnik's ravatar stivnik    JOINED: 1/11/10    POSTS: 43
POSTED: 6/15/10 10:19 AM

First Timer, Sprint Wave 6. A bit nervous - I admit it - but this is my "break-in" race for Peasant Man. I hope to get the Race Day jitters out before then. And am also hoping the Potomac is gentler Sunday morning than the OWS at Sandy Point last Saturday!

Plyometrically,
S.Kelley

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 6/15/10 10:32 AM

I'm in! Don't fear if wetsuits are not legal. I've done Nations 2xs and never wore a wetsuit. It is totally doable and comfortable.

PS. poster - glad you made it to the starting line at Eagleman. With being kicked out of the Tidewater Inn after having a reservation for 8 months and then landing in another hotel and not in the room until 10p - I was so spent from arguing all day that I could not get up for the race. I am so peeved - ok now I am done - channelling good thoughts to DC Tri and the comfort of sleeping in my own bed!

KBRESLIN    JOINED: 1/24/10    POSTS: 62
POSTED: 6/15/10 10:45 AM

I'm a first timer as well. Wave 7 and no one I've met is that wave yet. If you're a newbie, a slow swimmer and in wave 7 let me know b/c I'd like a start buddy :)

jameswilson's ravatar jameswilson    JOINED: 4/11/10    POSTS: 92
POSTED: 6/15/10 10:54 AM

Wave #4 at 5:45am here.

With no real soaking rain on the horizon, I'd expect the water to stay hot, and wetsuits to be not allowed.

I can already feel the race day butterflies just thinking about the start!

KBRESLIN    JOINED: 1/24/10    POSTS: 62
POSTED: 6/15/10 10:58 AM

I got all worked up by the wetsuit thing last week when a friend who attended the pre-mini Tri the other Sat relayed this info to me, however the question was posed this past Sat to a woman from the DC Tri (race planner) and she didn't foresee an issue with wetsuits for this Sun.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 524
POSTED: 6/15/10 11:02 AM

I may just leave the wetsuit home and not bother with it at all. Even though I'm a slow swimmer, I might be better off not heating up in the wetsuit. In fact, I may not even wear my tri jersey on the swim.

I thought about this yesterday. I never wear a shirt during practice swims so why should I wear a shirt while swimming in the race? The water is going to be just as warm as a heated indoor pool and it'll be easier to swim without having that fabric on top. (Of course, I'll put the jersey on in transition since I think we're required to wear shirts for the bike and the run. I can bring a towel and dry off quickly before putting the jersey on in T1.)

The jersey has rear pockets that might create drag on the swim, another reason to forgo the jersey.

jameswilson's ravatar jameswilson    JOINED: 4/11/10    POSTS: 92
POSTED: 6/15/10 11:08 AM

Well, the kept saying that wetsuits would be okay for Eagleman as well. But race morning the water was in the middle range, and the officials decided to not let any wetsuits in the race. It caught many people by surprise.

Just something to keep in mind. Better to have a backup plan so you do not get freaked out about it the morning of the race if they do decide to not allow them.

Me, I think I'd rather race in my one-piece race suit anyway, since I don't have that many wetsuit practices under my belt.

chloevdc's ravatar chloevdc    JOINED: 1/25/10    POSTS: 63
POSTED: 6/15/10 11:12 AM

DC Tri is my first race!
I am doing the Oly and am wave #16, start time 6:55am.

The mental preparation for not wearing a wetsuit has begun.
The woman at the OWS clinic last Saturday said that everyone must be off the swim course by 8:45am. So, I'm not worried about not doing the swim in time, I'm just worried that it will leave me with very little energy left for the bike and run. Regardless, I am still pumped. My motto for DC Tri is: In It to Finish. My motto for Nation's is going to be: In It to Finish Much Faster.

goshlickit's ravatar goshlickit    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 6/15/10 11:14 AM

In for the Sprint! First race of the season! I am really excited to give it a go. I'm in the 4th wave so I'll be able to sleep in an extra 15 minutes.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 957
POSTED: 6/15/10 11:27 AM

As for the wetsuits, keep in mind that Eagleman goes by WTC and Ironman temperature rules, while the DCTri will follow USAT guidelines, which are a bit lower.

But having said that, the water at Eagleman was NOT 80 degrees. I don't know where they were taking the temperature...

DMarie's ravatar DMarie    JOINED: 11/30/09    POSTS: 14
POSTED: 6/15/10 11:41 AM

In for the sprint -- my first tri! I will be in the water at 6:05am with swim wave #8.

I am excited, anxious, and (like Chloe) just in it to finish this time. Hopefully I will be able to channel the nerves into pure adrenaline that will help propel me through to the finish line. :)

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1298
POSTED: 6/15/10 11:41 AM

goshlickit ..

Not sure if you were serious about the 15 extra minutes of sleep comment but I'll make a general comment for everyone if does not apply to you. What I'm about to say may not be an obvious point to the people who are doing their first triathlon ... but it's an important one.

The transition area is closed prior to the race start. It doesn't matter if you start in the first wave or the last wave. If you start in the later waves then it means you have a longer wait outside of the transition area. It doesn't mean that they will give you more time in the transition area to set up.

Tuan

hppeabody's ravatar hppeabody    JOINED: 9/17/09    POSTS: 193
POSTED: 6/15/10 11:51 AM

In for my fourth tri ever and first olympic! Glad to be in one of the earlier oly start groups, wave 14 at 6:45 :)

Now, on this wetsuit thing again-- Am I wrong in understanding that in terms of rules at least, the no wetsuit rule only becomes a problem if you are looking to come in top 3 in your AG and take home a medal-- right? So for newbies that are just "racing to finish" anyway, this isn't an issue...what would then be the issue would be how much you can handle how warm it might be, right? If it does just come down to that, which is really a personal thing, and I know for me, I'm generally cold all the time, so I sort of doubt that I would overheat in my wetsuit--

I'm thinking to make sure, with a test run during the practice on sat anyone could figure out if they are going to be too hot or not. Did I miss something or am I correct?

H

goshlickit's ravatar goshlickit    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 6/15/10 11:52 AM

I was kidding. It's going to be an insanely early morning.

Hint for the first timers: the parking lots on Ohio Drive will fill up quickly and it doesn't look like they are allowing street parking on the stretch of Ohio near transition. I would recommend the shuttle, and getting there very early. During the ITU race last year, it took almost a half an hour to get from the Convention Center parking lot to transition, because no one told the roadblocks that shuttles were available and they wouldn't let us through. It was a mess.

Also...does anyone know if Metro will open early on Sunday? I am still trying to figure out how to get my wife and dog to Union Station by about 7 to see the finish.

Nate's ravatar Nate    JOINED: 2/23/10    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 6/15/10 11:59 AM

The metro WON'T be open until the normal time (about 7am I think). The person from the race at the clinic last weekend was asked this and she said they weren't able to make any special arrangements.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria