DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next Page

Washington DC Triathlon - Roll Call
CREATED: 06/14/10 by PotomacTriathlete2009 REPLIES: 120
chloevdc's ravatar chloevdc    JOINED: 1/25/10    POSTS: 63
RE: Washington DC Triathlon - Roll Call
POSTED: 6/15/10 12:06 PM

Hey Hillary,
I think the no wetsuit rule becomes a problem for those of us (me included) who have been looking forward to the extra buoyancy and speed that comes along with the wetsuit. Since swimming is by far my weakest sport, and since 1500m is tough enough, I know I was (and am) looking forward to the added benefits of the wetsuit, especially in an OWS, which already makes it more difficult and slower.
If the water gets to be 84 degrees then no one can wear a wetsuit.

rcmagnus's ravatar rcmagnus    JOINED: 1/23/10    POSTS: 43
POSTED: 6/15/10 12:13 PM

I think we'll all be great...wetsuit or no wetsuit.

I'm just grossed out by the thought of more potomac water touching me. :(

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1313
POSTED: 6/15/10 12:15 PM

Hillary,

With all due respect to Bryan and with respect to me still being pissed off at the non-wetsuit swim this past Sunday but Ironman/WTC's water temperature rule is EXACTLY (I repeat EXACTLY) the same as USAT's rule. Below is the reference from the Ironman's web page. The fact that Eagleman either did not adhere to this policy, notified in writing of the plan of deviation to the athletes prior to the race per their contract with USAT, or decided to ignore this on race morning is sickening to me.

http://ironman.com/faq/rulesfaq
Until Sept. 1, 2010 there are no restrictions on the type of wetsuit worn, provided the water temperature is less than 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Athletes may choose to wear a wetsuit in water temperatures between 78 degrees Fahrenheit and 84 degrees Fahrenheit, with the understanding that they will not be eligible for awards, including World Championship slots. Wetsuits are prohibited in water temperature greater than 84 degrees Fahrenheit.

If I were you and is concerned about the 78-84 range, I would specifically ask that question during the expo/athlete's briefing. None of us as Eagleman asked that question during the briefing and quite a few people paid for it during race day. I think that the DC Triathlon is a very first timer friendly and will let you wear it between 78-84. However, what Eagleman have taught us this past weekend is to trust but verify with the race officials the day before the race.

I'm all fired up! I'm going to take a shower in my wetsuit today just to make up for last Sunday :)

Tuan

hppeabody's ravatar hppeabody    JOINED: 9/17/09    POSTS: 193
POSTED: 6/15/10 12:23 PM

I'm with you, Chloe-- I want to wear mine too-- need every extra bit of buoyancy I can get! Thanks for the clarification...84 is pretty hot...I'd be surprised if it got that hot though...lets just cross our fingers that it does not get that hot. It looks like a little while ago it was 83 degrees at little falls, but that water is 8 ft deep, and im pretty sure a lot more narrow too...i'm not surprised its that hot. I'm going to make a point now to not look at that website anymore because there really isn't anything we can do about it. I swam at wilson last night and forced myself to do the full distance i have to do on sun wihtout stopping, just pacing myself out nice and verrry slow...not that I would call it easy, but I feel better that I can do teh distance (without a wetsuit!)-- hopefully the water will be nice and calm. last sun i was at hains and it was smooth as glass until around ten when the wind picked up, though I know that people who did nations last year have seen much worse at that hour. None of us are going to die, we might just take longer or have to float on our backs a bit, and after getting through this thing we'll be stronger as a result!

H

hmooney    JOINED: 9/30/09    POSTS: 77
POSTED: 6/15/10 12:28 PM

hppeabody,

the wetsuit water temp range is as follows;
USAT rules state that competitors may wear wetsuits if the water temperature is 78 degrees or lower.

USAT rules also state that if the water temperature is between 78.1 - 83.9 degrees, competitors may wear wetsuits but will not be eligible for awards.

If the water temperature is 84 degrees or above, participants may not wear wetsuits

So, there you have it, if the temp is 84 + NO wetsuits will be allowed.

I'm in wave 13 OLY, 6:40 start. I plan to sleep till 6:15 and walk over (I live at the waterfront). Everything will be staged on Sat. anyway and 4:00 am to be out by 5:15 only to wait another hour is WAY TOO early to close the t-area, in my opinion, but thats what happens with two separate races being run, you can't have the OLY peeps setting up their gear as racers are coming in to grab their bikes.

Hope it helps

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 966
POSTED: 6/15/10 12:29 PM

You are all fired up. :) The announcers at Eagleman sure made it seem like they followed a different set of guidelines from USAT on Sunday. Ah well, can't go back now.

Something amusing I found about the WTC on wikipedia (the end all/be all of answers): "WTC Ironman races are not sanctioned by the International Triathlon Union (ITU) and are therefore not official triathlon world championships in the view of ITU."

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 6/15/10 12:55 PM

Re: WTC not official triathlon world champs: that is rich. Why can't they all just get along? ;-)

And what's all this no-wetsuit talk? Can't imagine the water will be that warm.

In for the sprint and a 5:45 start. Yee haw.
-Jason

harburgm's ravatar harburgm    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 94
POSTED: 6/15/10 1:22 PM

The race will post an advisory on the website and send out an email to all participants if they think there is a chance the race will not be wetsuit legal. An email with this information will go out to the database tomorrow with that info too!

jlefko    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 3
POSTED: 6/15/10 3:14 PM

Forget the wetsuit issue….my Oly waive is at 7:10. If transition closes at 5:15, what am I supposed to do for the 2 hours before I start? How is one even able to prepare nutritionally. I fear I will lose my adrenaline rush and just be tired to start. Ugh.

tdn9999's ravatar tdn9999    JOINED: 7/16/09    POSTS: 49
POSTED: 6/15/10 3:27 PM

I'm in with you on my 1st Oly @ 7:10. We've trained too long & too hard to be denied. We'll be successful. See you there

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 6/15/10 3:31 PM

I'm in wave #3 at 5:40. Sunrise isn't until 5:43. This isn't going to be pretty.

Also: the race info they just sent out last night says water temperature will be low 70s, so they expect no wetsuit issues.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 6/15/10 3:32 PM

My advice: Test a carb gel this week before a swim to make sure it agrees with your stomach. (Don't try the carb gel when you aren't working out. It may have a different effect on your stomach than when you eat it shortly before or during a workout.) Never try anything new on race day. Experiment beforehand.

If the carb gel doesn't bother your stomach while exercising, then I would bring an extra carb gel with you out of transition, along with a small recyclable water bottle. About 10-15 min. before your wave start, eat the carb gel and wash it down with some water. That will give you an energy boost right before your wave start. Have another carb gel ready in your transition bag to eat after the swim and wash that down with water from the bottle on your bike.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 6/15/10 3:37 PM

It's also important to have breakfast a couple hours before your anticipated wave start. Again, don't try anything new this weekend. Stick with foods and liquids that you know your stomach can tolerate easily. If orange juice is too acidic for you or bacon causes your stomach to grumble, don't eat or drink that on race morning. The calories will help get you through the early part of the race and the pre-race gel can give you that final boost before you start swimming.

JHJ20012's ravatar JHJ20012    JOINED: 2/1/10    POSTS: 175
POSTED: 6/15/10 3:43 PM

Sprint, Wave 10, 6:15 start. I figure the speedy OLY racers will be swimming right over the top of me. Just what I need....

hmooney    JOINED: 9/30/09    POSTS: 77
POSTED: 6/15/10 4:13 PM

I've been told to eat no less than 2 1/2 - 3 hrs prior to a race, that tops off your glycogen levels because you're eating, topping off, but not burning. If you can't eat 2 1/2 - 3 hrs prior to a race wait till 15 mins before and down 10 - 12 oz of sports drink or maybe a gel, that will get you through the swim then simply refuel on the bike. if you eat less than 2 1/2 hrs. it will trigger your glycogen stores to burn and in addition you're also swimming which burns even more and you'll be playing catch up on the bike and run, it will be tough to replenish later.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1770
POSTED: 6/15/10 4:36 PM

Vol'ing as kayaker for swim leg, to prep for sampan duty during PeasantMan.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 6/15/10 4:47 PM

what was the water temp at eagleman?

i understand the need for the extra boyancey as i suck at swimming but i can equally understand the race directors worrying about athlete safety and not wanting people pass out in the water if it was 79 degrees and people are in full wetsuits.

yes usat rules state you can wear them up to 84 degrees but sometime i can see why the race director would err on the side of caution and make it more conservative for safety reasons.

rmember the race director can change the race or rules as deemed necessary for safety reasons, maybe they thought that swimming in 79 degree water was too much of a safety risk based on past years.

who knows, be thankful that the race directors are trying to put on a safe race

pdurb's ravatar pdurb    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 8
Sunday's DC Triathlon swim wave times
POSTED: 6/15/10 5:13 PM

Should anyone be interested (i don't think the entire list is posted on the website)

RACE
WAVE
WAVE TIME
GROUP
SPRINT
5:30 a.m.
Age Group Elite (Male &Female)

5:35 a.m.
Men 18-24 & M 40-44

5:40 a.m.
Men 25-29

5:45 a.m.
Men 30-34

5:50 a.m.
Men 35-39

5:55 a.m.
Men 45 & Over

6:00 a.m.
Women 18-24 & 35-39

6:05 a.m.
Women 25-29

6:10 a.m.
Women 30-34

6:15 a.m.
Women 40 & Over

OLYMPIC
6:30 a.m.
Age Group Elite (Male &Female)

6:35 a.m.
Women 35 & Over

6:40 a.m.
Men 45 & Over

6:45 a.m.
Women 18-24 & 30-34

6:50 a.m.
Men 40-44

6:55 a.m.
Women 25-29

7:00 a.m.
Men 18 – 29

7:05 a.m.
Men 30-34

7:10 a.m.
Men 35-39

POSTED: 6/15/10 5:37 PM

Good to know that I won't have those fast guys from the Men 18-29 AG bearing down on me shortly into the swim. At least I'll have enough of a headstart that they won't bear down on me until later in the swim.

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 363
POSTED: 6/15/10 5:44 PM

This is my First Tri :) (YAY NTP!!) Wave 16- 6:55.

Chloe I like your motto :)

Planning for no wetsuit so if they're legal it'll a pleasant surprise instead planning on being able to wear one and then hearing otherwise and getting all nervous and pukey :) ...I don't want to be that girl

See everyone on Sun!

Pam!

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria