morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
RE: Washington DC Triathlon - Roll Call
POSTED: 6/17/10 3:34 PM

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/catl.html

NOAA puts water temps at 79.9F.

bhuge    JOINED: 5/23/10    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 6/17/10 3:38 PM

what are the thoughts about a wetsuit vs no wetsuit with the temp that high?

slowtwitchva's ravatar slowtwitchva    JOINED: 2/18/10    POSTS: 207
POSTED: 6/17/10 3:48 PM

If you try to swim in 80 degree water with a wetsuit for 1500 meters you will feel like someone is boiling you. I will be wearing my racing shorts only... lucky for the spectators...

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 524
POSTED: 6/17/10 3:50 PM

Ideally you will test out the conditions at the Sat. swim practice.

Race-day temps will probably be in the mid to upper 80s (early morning). Swim practice is from 1-4 pm on Sat. The high will be around 90, pretty close to what we can expect by mid-morning Sunday.

Test out the water while wearing the wetsuit and see how it feels. You probably don't want to swim the entire course on Sat. (unless you're a veteran swimmer) but swim enough to get warmed up. That's really the best way to tell if the wetsuit is going to make you too hot on race day.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 524
POSTED: 6/17/10 3:51 PM

And I tend to agree with slowtwitchva. If it's really that warm, I might just go with tri shorts (plus goggles, earplugs and swim cap). The best time to experiment is on Sat. Try not to wing it on race day.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1296
POSTED: 6/17/10 4:04 PM

hmm ... to each is his own.

The conditions seem to be the similar to Eagleman last week and if you were to poll those folks, I would gather that the vast majority would have gone into that 1.2 mile swim with a wetsuit had they not pull the plug ... just saying ;) The extra buoyancy and speed does wonder for you mentally and physically.

There are ways to get around that warmness by pulling on the neck of the wetsuit every once in awhile to get fresh water in to cool you down. Some folks think it too warm, some think it's ok, the rest should try it out during the practice swim. Everyone is different. There is really no right or wrong answer. USAT's rule allow the option up to 84 because they seem to think that it's ok up to that point but not higher.

If you are a weaker swimmer, that extra buoyancy will seem like a good idea if you get into trouble out in the water.

POSTED: 6/17/10 4:08 PM

Surprisingly I am a little faster in the water without a wetsuit. I find them too constricting. I just don't want that river water to get into my mouth.

runchristianrun's ravatar runchristianrun    JOINED: 12/4/09    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 6/17/10 4:37 PM

Wave 15 at 6:50. Great way to start Father's Day!

bhuge    JOINED: 5/23/10    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 6/17/10 4:42 PM

Christian, I'm in the same wave...see you there....somewhere!

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1751
POSTED: 6/17/10 5:59 PM

The Nation's Tri two years ago on similar turf got extremely hot during run. Some tips: have that extra water bottle, with ice, covered by cloth, for after the run. Put salt in bottle. Make sure to remember running cap. And sunglasses. Bring sun screen to slab on extra layer after swim. Before swim put lotsa body glide on sensitive creases. Maybe dial down run at first to feel things out. Remember everyone else is going through same conditions.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 6/18/10 8:12 AM

Head's up - not quite official yet as we're playing phone tag, but to get the word out, we are zero'ing in on Tonic for brunch. At 1130 AM. $12 bottomless mimosas. I'm going for 30 people. Do you think we'll need more space?
Official Site
Google Maps Location

DrWales's ravatar DrWales    JOINED: 1/4/10    POSTS: 13
POSTED: 6/18/10 10:37 AM

From the Organisers:

"Over the past few days, the average water temperature in the Potomac has been 79-82 degrees. Per USAT rules, if the water temperature is above 78 degrees on race morning then wetsuits are allowed BUT athletes wearing them are NOT eligible for age group awards. If you choose to wear a westuit anyway you will be placed in the wetsuit wave which will be the last wave of Sprint athletes and the last wave of Olympic athletes."

Clear heads-up warning. (Unlike other recent races!) Time to get your head around it, and plan accordingly.

hppeabody's ravatar hppeabody    JOINED: 9/17/09    POSTS: 193
POSTED: 6/18/10 10:38 AM

Wetsuit update! In case you didn't see...its in the latest email.

Above 78 = no wetsuits for anyone trying to place.
79 - 82 averages lately.

If its above 78 and you wear it anyway, you get to start with the LAST WAVE of your race...

UGH.

JHJ20012's ravatar JHJ20012    JOINED: 2/1/10    POSTS: 172
POSTED: 6/18/10 10:41 AM

Does anyone know, if you wear your wetsuit, are you still timed and ranked w/in your age group? I have no illusions of an age group award, but would still like to know how I stack up. I'm the last wave the sprint anyway, so that doesn't phase me.

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 6/18/10 10:47 AM

Good thing I spent $175 before this race for a new wetsuit....oh well. At least we know in advance.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1296
POSTED: 6/18/10 10:57 AM

If you wear you wetsuit between 78-84, you will be timed just like normal. The race putting you in the last wave or seperate wave from the non-wetsuit wearer is the stanard way of seperating the two groups so that they know who is eligible for prizes and who isn't.

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 504
POSTED: 6/18/10 11:02 AM

Gross! 80+ degree Potomac water is going to feel and taste great! Well at least that will give all of incentive to get in and out of the water as fast as possible. I don't understand how the Potomac has gotten so warm so early in the season. It's not like we've had that many hot days in a row yet! Who the heck is peeing in the water out in VA and W.Va??!!

POSTED: 6/18/10 11:16 AM

Here's a question for you...
Since I am not wearing a wetsuit, I am planning on swimming in my Zoot Tri Shorts. They are nice and tight, but don't have a tie string at the top. Anyone ever swam in this style shorts before? What are the odds I head into T1 in my birthday suit after losing my shorts in the water?

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 504
POSTED: 6/18/10 11:20 AM

I'll bet on "over" that you'll be airing out like Tarzan. Hey at least you won't have anyone bothering you in T1, they'll steer clear.

Anyone rocking out a swim skin/speed suit in place of the wet suite?

POSTED: 6/18/10 11:38 AM

Assuming the water temps stay around 80-82 and wetsuits are only allowed in the separate last wave of each race, how many people are likely to stay with the wetsuit? If all the wetsuit people are sent to the last wave, that might be a huge group of people. I haven't had any races with this situation before. Given that there will be a lot of beginners (I'm sort of a beginner/intermediate myself) at this race, I'd think that the wetsuit waves will be packed.

I'm not going to win an AG award but I would be curious to know how I do compared to my AG. I didn't find the water temperature that bad last week at Eagleman sans wetsuit. (I'd like to think my bad swim time was the result of my messed-up goggles and inability to see those triangular, yellow buoys there, spaced far apart.)

I keep going back and forth about whether I should wear a wetsuit or not. I'll probably change my mind a dozen more times before Sunday. I'm kind of hoping that the water is 84 and no one is allowed to wear a wetsuit, so I don't have to decide. I don't think there is a wave-by-wave swim cutoff time like at Eagleman. I bought new goggles this week so I think I should swim a little straighter this time.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria