Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next Page

Washington DC Triathlon - Roll Call
CREATED: 06/14/10 by PotomacTriathlete2009 REPLIES: 120
ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 496
RE: Washington DC Triathlon - Roll Call
POSTED: 6/18/10 11:56 AM

I got an inside, off the record, peek at the water quality tests results. Water is in good shape.

slowtwitchva's ravatar slowtwitchva    JOINED: 2/18/10    POSTS: 207
POSTED: 6/18/10 11:56 AM

If the water is above 72F there is absolutely no chance I will wear a wetsuit. I am wondering if I should wear my tri shorts or a pair of pearl izumi cycling shorts that at least have a tie string at the top. The only problem is that I dont know if they will be comfortable for the run...

bhuge    JOINED: 5/23/10    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 6/18/10 12:05 PM

I always swim in Zoot tri shorts and the nice part is that you don't have to deal with pealing off the wetsuit as you are running to the TA. I have also laced a pull string thru the hem in the shorts which I would recommend. Not so much losing the shorts that's the issue but you want them tighter to your body so they are not catching water.

POSTED: 6/18/10 12:07 PM

Ballooncyclist: What exact does "good shape" mean I thought water can't hold a shape, being a liquid and all :-P

bhuge: Exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks for the advice. Do you swim in a tri-top as well? I was planning on putting that on in T1...

bhuge    JOINED: 5/23/10    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 6/18/10 12:14 PM

glad to help. just joining DC Tri, I am happy to see all the sharing. Although it is taking me away from work...but then again so is the world cup. Great US match!!! I purchased a number belt at CAPTEXTRI which I use now as I fumble too much after the water with putting a shirt, etc. So I bike without a shirt. I might have a tang top ready for the run this race due to the heat.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1333
POSTED: 6/18/10 12:19 PM

I would check the DC Tri's rules on biking without a shirt. That could be grounds for DQ or a nice seat in the penalty tent at many races.

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 496
POSTED: 6/18/10 12:37 PM

@slowtwitchva: I only saw results in cfu/100 ml for generic enteric bacteria and particularly e. coli. They were really low but didn’t see the raw data under all dilutions tested. They were considered within acceptable limits. I don’t know if they are using WQ standards or some other local indicator. Not sure if Cryptosporidium was tested. That's what I mean by good shape. Geez, I was just trying to help.

POSTED: 6/18/10 12:41 PM

@ballooncyclist: I was just messin around. Thanks for looking into that though! Everyone always says to me "You are actually going to SWIM in the potomac river? Gross!" I might keep some listerine at T1 just in case...

tdn9999's ravatar tdn9999    JOINED: 7/16/09    POSTS: 49
POSTED: 6/18/10 12:44 PM

I take it putting some ice in your wetsuit won't help much??? Just a thought

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 528
POSTED: 6/18/10 1:47 PM

I can't find anything in the DC Tri rules about wearing a shirt on the bike, although I remember many people discussing the USAT rule last year that everyone had to wear a shirt throughout the entire bike and run of a sanctioned race. However, I can't find that rule in the 2010 USAT rules:

http://assets.usoc.org/assets/documents/attached_file/filename/23428/usatcr.pdf

It only prohibits public nudity. (3.4. n. Indecent Exposure: Public nudity at any time during the event is prohibited. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.)

There were many guys swimming at Eagleman without a shirt so I guess it's allowed on the swim. I was thinking of changing shirts in T2, AFTER the bike, so that I can put on a running shirt with short sleeves. Two reasons:

1) I need to protect my shoulders from the sun, since I'm still healing from the nasty Eagleman sunburn (and I didn't even do the run).

2) It's a DC Tri Club shirt. I don't have a club jersey and I wanted to wear some tri club gear.

POSTED: 6/18/10 1:56 PM

Concerning going without the shirt on the bike, It's not a USAT rule, it's a race specific rule. Every race have different philosophy with it. For example, at Ironman Florida last year there was specific language in the Athlete's Guide stating that shirt shall be worn on the bike.

Although, they can always say something about not wearing a shirt falls under the general safety rule. There a lot of freedom of interpretations out there.

harburgm's ravatar harburgm    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 94
POSTED: 6/18/10 2:01 PM

Hey all,

At the Washington DC Triathlon you do not have to wear a shirt on the bike. However, please be advised to apply sunblock, it is going to be a blazing one.

Also, be sure your number is clearly visible in the front.

Hope everyone is looking forward to this as much as I am!!

POSTED: 6/18/10 2:12 PM

no shirts? ... so it's going to that kind of a race ha? ;)

A Euro sanctioned race in the middle of DC? Does Sarah Palin know about this?

goshlickit's ravatar goshlickit    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 6/18/10 3:33 PM

I am debating if I should wear my DC Tri Club racing top for the swim. The model from 2 years ago I think. Might be Sugoi, but am not sure. All I know is that it is very revealing for this dude. Very small pockets in the back, but I don't think the drag is too bad. I am contemplating trying to put it on over a hairy, wet, swim-exhausted me in T-1, and think that might be difficult so I will probably swim with it. What is everyone else doing?

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 528
POSTED: 6/18/10 3:45 PM

Time to be a hardcore triathlete and shave your chest! But seriously, that would make it easier to put a jersey on in T1. If you don't shave, then you could soak in the shower for a few minutes today or Sat., towel off as fast as you can and see how difficult it is to put on the jersey. If it's too much of a hassle, then wearing it on the swim might be better.

I'm still not sure if I'll go with a wetsuit. If not, then I'll only wear tri shorts on the swim. I can put on my tri jersey (not DC Tri Club) pretty quickly if I unzip the front as far as it will go.

One thing I noticed: My jersey was mostly brown after coming out of the water at Eagleman. Despite washing it this week, and handwashing it again in the shower, it's still brown. (It's supposed to be white.) So instead of white, I'll be wearing brownish-white on top on the bike.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 616
POSTED: 6/18/10 3:50 PM

Brunch plans after the DC Tri for our club are here:
http://wwwl.dctriclub.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Learn.buzz&id=416
The more annoying of you on this thread should consider skipping it (seriously). The rest of the 1087 of us are invited.

POSTED: 6/18/10 3:53 PM

You mean me?

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 616
POSTED: 6/18/10 4:00 PM

I'm just messing around, whoever you are.

harburgm's ravatar harburgm    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 94
POSTED: 6/18/10 4:50 PM

Hi again all,

I spoke to one of the race organizers and my fault, you should wear a shirt on the bike. In case of an accident this will reduce any possible road rash. Plus, sunburn!

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 983
POSTED: 6/18/10 5:04 PM

So before this turns into a Bravo show "The Real Triathletes of Washington DC," I just wanted to wish all the racers "good luck" this weekend. Stay cool and shaded out there. Good luck to all my NTP proteges. I'm going to be happy to see you all graduate to official triathletes. :)

The DC Tri club aid station is at Mile 2 on the run course (we'll see both of you sprint and olympic racers). So be prepared for some fellow tri club member cheering when you pass your first aid station on Constitution Avenue.

Bryan

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria