Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next Page

Washington DC Triathlon - Roll Call
CREATED: 06/14/10 by PotomacTriathlete2009 REPLIES: 120
getgabby's ravatar getgabby    JOINED: 1/25/10    POSTS: 15
RE: Washington DC Triathlon - Roll Call
POSTED: 6/18/10 5:15 PM

Another newbie NTPer in Sprint wave #9 at 6:10 AM checking in. Not thrilled about the no wetsuit, liked the extra buoyancy.
Any folks out there have tips for how to deal with a head cold on race day? I'm trying to fight it off, but I'm worried I'll still be phlemy on Sunday.

chloevdc's ravatar chloevdc    JOINED: 1/25/10    POSTS: 63
POSTED: 6/18/10 8:27 PM

Hey all,

I don't want to beat a dead horse on the wetsuit issue, but Simon and I ended up discussing this at the Expo today and we had to seek clarification from the DC Tri folks.
If the water is in the 78-84 range, and therefore wetsuits are optional, a person wearing a wet suit will indeed have their time tracked and recorded. However, you will not be compared/ranked with your age group. They made it seem like you'd be ranked against other wetsuit wearers, but it wasn't clear.
I was previously under the impression that you would still be ranked, guess not.

That is a small but somewhat important detail if you are interested in seeing where you stack up against your age group. I am all about buoyancy and speed, but I think the competitive side of me may win out, as I want to see where I rank.
Hope that helps.

slowtwitchva's ravatar slowtwitchva    JOINED: 2/18/10    POSTS: 207
POSTED: 6/19/10 10:39 AM

Can someone who takes part in the swim practice write up a quick report about water conditions? I have to work today and won't be able to make it...

jameswilson's ravatar jameswilson    JOINED: 4/11/10    POSTS: 92
POSTED: 6/19/10 10:49 AM

Thursday morning during my HP ride I rode past the swim area. At 6:15 with a light breeze the water was glass flat for the swim course. Further south and north it was slightly choppy.

I'll be down there this afternoon to get a gauge on the current and buoys.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 518
POSTED: 6/19/10 11:19 AM

Latest hourly forecast for Sunday from the Weather Channel:

5 am 76F Clear, 69% humidity
6 am 76F Mostly Sunny, 71% humidity
7 am 78F Sunny, 69% humidity
8 am 80F Sunny, 67% humidity
9 am 83F Sunny, 60% humidity
10 am 86F Sunny, 55% humidity
11 am 89F Sunny, 50% humidity

The course closes at 11 am so you won't be out there after 11. Good thing too, since the afternoon temps will soar to 94F!

Winds will be 6-9 mph.

Just think, the rising temperature is added incentive to finish faster. Those in the sprint race should have very comfortable conditions. Upper 70s is not bad at all.

Be careful about standing around at the award ceremonies if you attend. It'll be closer to midday and you can easily get sunburned.

POSTED: 6/19/10 12:26 PM

I seriously hope the humidity stays that low. I can handle the heat, but high humidity and winds make things frustrating... Everyone enjoy the swim practice today!

POSTED: 6/19/10 3:17 PM

I rode over to the hotel to try to catch the race briefing, but the bike check had a long line, and was already very full. I figured that all those bikes belong to people who will also be at the briefing, and they will all want to get their bikes back at the same time as me. So I skipped the briefing and rode down to the transition area.

Swim Report
The water is very warm. I was comfortable in just jammer shorts. I think a wetsuit will be very very hot.

The tide was coming in, so the current was going north. At least it felt that way. It wasn't a very strong current. Tomorrow will be 2 hours after high tide, so the current will be south.

With the boats and the wind, it looked a little choppy. But once I was out swimming, I felt much more comfortable than out at Sandy Point Beach. I didn't have much problem breathing.

The buoys were not very large, but with the bridges on the north and south side, sighting was easy. Just pick your pillar.

POSTED: 6/19/10 3:21 PM

jameswilson - You didn't come out of the water with an extra eyeball or any other mutations, did you? Can anyone write me a script for anti-biotics on monday?

POSTED: 6/19/10 3:27 PM

No extra limbs or anything. And the water didn't taste like poison.

Funny thing though, there was a shower tent to run through on the way back to T1. It was being fed by a firetruck pump, hooked up to a fire hydrant. They had a plastic pen around the hydrant, like a giant kiddy pool, to catch all the extra water. But the water in that pool looked so gross, much worse that the water in the river looked. I'm not sure if I got cleaner or more dirty!

POSTED: 6/19/10 3:29 PM

Im surprised they don't pump water right out of the river for the showers...

POSTED: 6/19/10 3:40 PM

All we have to check today is bikes, right? I am going to check a gear bag with a change of clothes, but that can wait until tomorrow, yes?

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 361
POSTED: 6/19/10 3:47 PM

Only bikes get checked in today. No bags.

The buoys will be HUGE. I saw them blowing them up. They're about the size of 2 porta potties combined. Can't miss em :)

POSTED: 6/19/10 4:08 PM

Good to hear about the buoys, because when I asked the guy on the dock which buoy was the sprint distance turn, he said "The 3rd one, next to the red kayak." At that point, all the buoys were the same. I thought that would be fun in the race. Am I at the 2nd or 3rd buoy? <Stop swimming, look around>

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 361
POSTED: 6/19/10 4:16 PM

And they have numbers on them 700m etc. And specific instrictions Sprint stop here. Turn around here. Get out etc.
Also gigantic. I could probably see them w/o my contacts and I'm pretty much blind. So u should be fine :)

lieutenantmudd's ravatar lieutenantmudd    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 6/19/10 4:24 PM

I can't believe transition closes so early. I am going to have get up at 4 in the morning to get there and set up by 5:15.

stiefler    JOINED: 6/2/09    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 6/19/10 4:38 PM

Just a word of caution...be careful not to kick the underwater edge of the ramp/dock as you exit the swim. I gave myself a nasty cut on the shin and had to go to urgent care and make sure my tetanus shot was up to date. The doctor was not psyched about my plans to take my open wound back into the Potomac, but I convinced him that I could cover the area with duct tape and all would be okay. He either bought it or he just wanted me out of his office.

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 6/19/10 4:48 PM

Yah, I knocked my shin too, but luckily not that badly! The ramp is maybe 3 feet under the water, starting maybe 1 foot past where the metal handrails start.

-Brian

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 518
POSTED: 6/19/10 4:58 PM

The race day buoys hadn't been installed yet for the practice swim. They had temporary buoys out there in groups of four. Each temporary buoy was about the size of a kickball. Nearly impossible to see from a distance but fortunately the race-day buoys will be 10' tall. They had just started inflating them on the shore during the practice swim.

When I crossed the river on Metro afterward, I could only see one or two of the buoys on the river. The fact that you can see the large buoys all the way from the 14th St. Bridge means they are frickin' huge. I don't think there's any way you can miss them tomorrow unless you are swimming with completely dark-colored goggle lenses.

The water was kind of choppy but that was partly because of all the watercraft. (They were official race vehicles helping out with water safety.) A couple of them zig-zagged across the path of most swimmers, creating a sideways wake. Nice. But at least we won't have that issue tomorrow.

The water was very nice otherwise. Definitely warm enough to go with just tri shorts. That's what I did today, tri shorts, goggles, earplugs and swim cap (that smells like modeller's cement). It's just as warm as a heated indoor pool. I could see a little farther in the water than last Sept. at Nation's Tri. Nice to be able to at least see your arm in the water, whereas last Sept. I couldn't even see my hand in front of my face.

So that's my take on the course. I'm not even going to bring my wetsuit tomorrow. That'll make it easier after the race when I'm trying to lug my bag and bike to the closest Metro. The air temperature will be a little cooler than this afternoon (upper 70s as opposed to low 90s today) but I think it should still be OK without a wetsuit. I'll warm up soon enough on the bike.

POSTED: 6/19/10 5:00 PM

Last week I cut the side of my little toe on the cement loading ramp at Eagleman, so I was on the watch for that today. Yeah, you do need to take care climbing out of the water.

Probably the most difficult part of the practice was trying to stand on the dock. You could get some seasickness if you stand there for too long. Grab onto a rail if you can, to make sure you don't fall over. I'm kind of being serious (half-serious?) here. The temporary dock was tilting quite a bit.

POSTED: 6/19/10 5:17 PM

I can't believe transition closes so early. I am going to have get up at 4 in the morning to get there and set up by 5:15.

I'm planning on getting up at 3:30am. Figure leave at 4, parking lot at 4:15, shuttle puts me to transition at 4:45. 15 minutes to setup and relax/stress out. Then 20 minutes to get a good warm up jog/stretch/striders.

It bugs me that if I could ride my bike down, it'd only take me 15 minutes to get there. But since my bike is already there...

The only worry is if something happens and I can't get there by the 5:15 transition close.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria