Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

Who lives in the Old Town Alexandria area?
CREATED: 06/29/12 by jhull REPLIES: 56
morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 726
RE: Who lives in the Old Town Alexandria area?
POSTED: 12/17/14 11:16 AM

Who is Bob and where are these spin classes?

Contemplating giving up my OSS with Ron bc heading to NE could e an issue when I have a gym in Shirlington (that I never go to) with a double spin class Sat AM. I enjoy the comaraderie of the club at the OSS - so I feel so conflicted?

npleisch    JOINED: 4/5/12    POSTS: 136
POSTED: 1/12/15 8:26 PM

I'm late to the party here... But I live in Springfield. So I suggest Fairfax/Alexandria/Springfield Triathletes... FAST!

pmart15's ravatar pmart15    JOINED: 12/14/09    POSTS: 133
POSTED: 1/13/15 12:15 PM

Ditto, I like FAST.

GabiT's ravatar GabiT    JOINED: 5/12/13    POSTS: 53
POSTED: 1/13/15 3:00 PM

Another vote for FAST!

POSTED: 1/13/15 3:04 PM

Oh and I realize I never answered the other questions. Bob's one of the spin teachers at Audrey Moore. I liked his style and like being able to swim/spin at the same place, but haven't gone in a while... I've been going to Swet Ride in Delray instead...and I'm starting Ron's OSS this week!

As the community group gets set up we'll def talk about training opportunities in our area!

npleisch    JOINED: 4/5/12    POSTS: 136
POSTED: 1/13/15 3:06 PM

Lot of nice riding routes out here in the boonies, too. You get west of Ox Road (123) and it's a lot of fun.

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 254
POSTED: 1/13/15 3:06 PM

Hiya... I'm in Old Town!
I definitely like FAST (beats FAT). :-)
I belong to XSport (near 395 interchange, where Copeland's used to be), if anyone else belongs and wants to swim - I need all the motivation I can muster to get into the pool. I do Masters at Chinquapin on Thursdays at lunch (my telework day).

Ultra_E's ravatar Ultra_E    JOINED: 1/4/13    POSTS: 12
POSTED: 1/13/15 5:02 PM

Rah,
I'm also an XSport member - and I also have been lacking motivation to get into the pool. What days/times do you target? I am hoping to get there after work a couple days a week - probably 5:30 ish.

Eileen

katmcd's ravatar katmcd    JOINED: 11/24/12    POSTS: 13
POSTED: 1/13/15 5:39 PM

I like FAST.

As for Xsport, I go around 5pm MWF. I'll be there before work tomorrow though.

POSTED: 1/14/15 4:26 PM

I am sometimes at the Masters Thursdays at lunch at Chinq - but mostly in the AM.

I'd like to learn more about the Swim-Spin thing at Audrey Moore - is there a website link for info?

I belong to Energy Club and spin there - some pretty good instructors.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1831
POSTED: 1/16/15 9:49 AM

Need to get this party started with some actual workouts.

I'm looking to ride Monday MLK morn at 11 out of Belle Haven.

Sounds like Monday eve c 5 pm would be a good time for swimmers to get together too.

A turnkey runner workout is the Potomac Runner's every Saturday morn long run from Belle Haven, complete with water support & a post-run breakfast spot.

Suggest start posting actual workouts with time and place.

POSTED: 1/16/15 10:13 AM

Not riding outside for a little while, brrrr, but I could do a swim this Monday @5pm. I'm using Sheila Toarmina's swim speed workouts, so if anyone wants to meet up at Chinquapin and work through one of those, I'm game! I'm trying to swim 2X week but my schedule is all over the place so consistency might be my issue for the next couple of months....

TBoo    JOINED: 11/26/14    POSTS: 9
POSTED: 1/16/15 12:23 PM

I live on the Northern tip of Alexandria and work near Old Town. I would love to start swimming before work. It's time. Is the Chinquapin Masters (L4) worth the $$?

Thorne

POSTED: 1/16/15 2:05 PM

Hiya.
I'm with Gabi, brrr... riding outside is just plain crazy. No plans to do that til it gets to and stays at least 50 out! :-)

as far as regular XSport swims, I'm thinking a weekend day since I do L4 Masters Thursdays at lunch. Perhaps a few hours post spin class (after getting home, eating, napping, etc).

Thorne, I started up with the L4 masters last summer. I like them. The only coach I've had on deck is Dominiq (except when Scott M subs for him). He'll correct technique which is good. And move you into or out of lanes based on speed. Also good. It's getting to be more triathletes (a lot of Team Z folks) so if you just swim freestyle that's A-OK. That's really all I do. In Nov/Dec the few times I went is was mostly swimmers and they were doing IM sets which was a bit scary as I haven't done real swimming in 30 years. Prices just went up, but I think (could be wrong) that it's cheaper than the DC Tri masters in DC. Even it it's not, I live 1.5 mi from the Pin, so it's a no-brainer for me I'm never gonna get into DC for the tri club masters classes.

-becky

POSTED: 1/16/15 2:08 PM

should have tacked this in my last post - should we start a FB group for FAST (like the moco mafia has) - that would be a quick and easy way to schedule workouts.
the moco folks just create events and invite the group to them - if you can make a workout, awesome, if not, no big deal.
we can do that to keep folks in the loop as far as who's gonna be where.

they also do sunday runs and brunches, which could be fun. and I'm sorry to say (sort of) that I missed the annual beer mile in the fall - not that I would have participated, I think watching would have been quite an experience.

POSTED: 1/16/15 2:08 PM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE L4 Masters Swimming at Chinquapin, plus you have at least a dozen other pools to choose from if you don't make it to Chinq. The coaches are stellar! We have Team Z at our practices on Tues & Thurs AMs - nice enough people :). You should definitely come. If you swim on average 3xs a week that covers your Chinq entry fee and you get a coach on deck and a planned and motivated work out. Or you can buy a punch pass for 10 swims and come occassionally.

We have a Masters practice Sunday night at 4p. Coach Frank will work you hard. Average total distance 3600-4200m depending on what lane you are in. Don't be scared of swimming different strokes; the coaches will help correct technique and it is good to develop other muscle groups through back and fly - can't speak to breast stroke bc mine sucks. Also, there is always the option to do free if you can't do the other strokes. I put my flippers on for breast stroke. We'll have a Masters swim Monday AM at 6am (unless the pool doesn't open until 8am? - havent checked the times yet). Also, L4 has a lunch swim Mondays 12:30-1:30p at Wakefield HS. You can come try a swim and see if you like it. No obligation.

I may put in a swim on my own at Chinq tonight after work. Pool closes at 5:45p on Fridays so if I go, I'll be there @4:30p. Already did yoga and spin today and double spin class tomorrow so I am losing motivation unless someone tells me they'll be there.

POSTED: 1/16/15 4:26 PM

Rebecca, re:Facebook group. Russ has taken the lead to start the community group and will be attending a Community Group meeting soon. Once the group is officially set-up Russ and whoever else co-leads will likely set up a Fbook or other group and send us more details, so I'd say for now, hang tight and stay tuned.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria