Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Bike Shipping
CREATED: 07/02/09 by lisalisadc REPLIES: 10
lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
Bike Shipping
POSTED: 7/02/09 7:05 AM

I've shipped my bike several times across country on a plane in a box, in a UPS box, and free standing in a truck, etc. But, I'm flying Lufthansa next week and have the option of not using a bike box to ship my bike. The airline actually said that they would prefer if my bike was assembled and not in a big bike box.

My flight is nonstop so I'm considering this option b/c otherwise I have to rent a bike box (which I've already reserved), break the bike down (ok pay someone to do this), reassemble the bike in Germany (I found a shop in DE that will do this), and repeat after the race is over...It is kind of a necessary pain but it costs $$ and time.

So, should I ship my bike fully assembled? Is this a crazy idea? I'd wrap the bike frame up with foam and bubble wrap and protect the chain (don't say condom - I'm Catholic). Has anyone ever done this on an airline?

If I ship my bike assembled, any other tips on for keeping my bike in 1 piece?

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 133
RE: Bike Shipping
POSTED: 7/02/09 8:19 AM

Can I come with?????

matr's ravatar matr    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 44
POSTED: 7/02/09 8:41 AM

I remember flying interisland in Hawaii when you could roll your bike onto the tarmac and put it on the plane. Can't do it anymore, but it was easy and don't know of anyone who had problems.

About bike boxes, it really is not a big deal. Basically anyone with a set of allen wrenches and a pedal wrench can pack and unpack a bike by themselves in five to ten minutes. No need to pay anyone to do it.

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 7/02/09 10:21 AM

Yes Andy come with!!

Matr: the question is: box or roll?

POSTED: 7/02/09 10:59 AM

You have it right! Keep it fully assembled, but protect the frame with some bubble wrap.

...condom.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 7/02/09 11:13 AM

i have never heard of shipping a bike fully assembled.. only thing i can think is that fully assembled you will need a larger box and larger means more money for shipping.

also putting a bike back together you only need 15 minutes, set of allen METRIC wrenches and a pedal wrench. That's it.

i would use the bike box and either ship it or bring it on the plane. your bike to put back together will take literally tightening 5 bolts. 2 for the seat post clamp and 2 for the stem clamp, and 1 for the top cap to the headseat. That's all and putting on the wheels and the pedals.

if the rear derailer is taken off that is 1 bolt to tighten up. that is it.

have a fun and safe race.

POSTED: 7/02/09 11:28 AM

Dude, the euro's do the fully assembled thing all the time for long-haul flights. I'd argue that the baggage handlers actually take BETTER care of your bike when its fully-assembled SANS (like my euro-slang?) box. Those cargo holds are huge underneath you, and they just find a nice spot for your bike to rest and strap it down. Protect the frame/race wheels with some plastic, and don't sign anything absolving the Airline of damages. =)

In the end Lisa, its your bike so do what makes you feel the most comfortable. I hear its kind of hard to ride with a taco-d 808...

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1334
POSTED: 7/02/09 11:39 AM

Actually, if you visit the websites of most (if not all) of the major airlines in the U.S, for domestic travels, there are also options to transport your bike "fully assembled." They'll throw in some blurb about removing the pedals and other stuff.

For example, this is what American Airlines says:

"One non-motorized touring or racing bike. Handlebars must be fixed sideways and pedals removed. Or pedals and handlebars must be enclosed in plastic foam or similar material."

https://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?p=/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jsp

Andy ... stop it. Lisa is a catholic girl :)

matr's ravatar matr    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 44
POSTED: 7/02/09 11:46 AM

If Lufthansa ships bikes like Hawaiian and Aloha used to, then you just bring your bike fully assembled to the baggage check, no box needed. Where the two airlines mentioned made people comfortable with this arrangement was that you could litteraly accompany your bike all the way to the aircraft. I doubt that Lufthansa or any other airline would allow this these days. Baggage handlers make me nervous, so I'd go with a box. On the other hand, I also get nervous with TSA rifling through a box and then putting it back together. TSA did this once to my box, and did not cause any problems, but the "inspected" sticker made me rather anxious to check the contents.

clcohen's ravatar clcohen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 7/02/09 12:03 PM

I realize this is of no use to you, but I bought a bike and had it shipped to me in a cardboard bike box. It's filled to the top with packing peanuts. If anyone wants it, it's yours. Pick up in Pentagon City. thanks. Carol clcohen at gmail

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 7/02/09 12:06 PM

exactly, do what you want.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria