DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Alcohol
CREATED: 06/07/13 by Diablo1666 REPLIES: 21
Diablo1666's ravatar Diablo1666    JOINED: 3/4/13    POSTS: 9
Alcohol
POSTED: 6/07/13 12:05 PM

Greetings folks,

So as Summer is upon us, I like many enjoy a good cocktail/beer. Whether its's a wedding, birthday or just the weekend I enjoy having a couple adult beverages every now and then. However, I am training and don't want to experience diminishing returns. I know, I know - ideally I shouldn't drink at all. But when I do, I'd like to have an option other than a Vodka Soda. Any recommendations of what I can drink that won't kill my training?

Please chime in. Thank you all in advance.

- Nams

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 495
RE: Alcohol
POSTED: 6/07/13 12:16 PM

if there is a God Bryan Frank and Janie Hayes will chime-in.

My 2 cents: I went 2 seasons (2011 and 2012) 100%-ish dry and one (Dec 2012-May 2013) 100%-ish drunk with no structured training (but keeping very active). I only lost 54 minutes in my IM time and had a jolly all time. My drinks of choice were: Pinot Noirs, beer, apple cider, and pear cider. No Vodka; I get a little crazy with Vodka and usually end up regretting the night.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1059
POSTED: 6/07/13 12:58 PM

Great question! I think that as long as you are training properly along with adequate nutrition it's okay to have an adult beverage from time to time. Just be smart when you do, like not days leading up to a race.

My motto is moderation is the key. To me, it's all part of training.

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 403
POSTED: 6/07/13 1:51 PM

The simple explanation: Alcohol is alcohol, no matter what form it's in. It interferes with recovery and performance.

The nerdy explanation: alcohol interferes with secretion of [naturally occurring] human growth hormone (HGH) and makes the body release other hormones which have toxic effects on the "good" hormones that play a vital role in recovery. Additionally, gluconeogenesis is inhibited and your cells stop producing ATP (your energy source!). I won't even go into how it dehydrates you.

Do I abide by this all the time? Certainly not.

Do as Hugh recommends - moderate your drinking. I would further add, moderate even more before and after your big workouts. Also, moderate your moderation and have fun, too.

POSTED: 6/07/13 1:57 PM

Fun reading with some suggestions to minimize the effects of alcohol on performance.

Article here

For what it's worth, I'm partial to scotch, bourbon, and wheat beers. Haven't let me down during the season, yet!

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 962
POSTED: 6/07/13 2:06 PM

It's a fun topic to debate and it really depends on how well you handle your alcohol and how well you recover. I drink anything and everything with special preferences for tequila, gin, bourbon, beer, wine... oh well, hell, everything. Some people get hangovers pretty easily (and that can be without even getting drunk), but if a few drinks don't knock you out for the following day's workouts, then I don't see the harm.

I have cut out alcohol twice before when training for races and I will say that they have been my worst races. For me to not drink is to do something new before/on race day. So now, I just drink whatever and whenever I want. I did a race a few years ago possibly still drunk and placed 3rd in my age group. I did Kinetic Half Iron Distance about 3 weeks ago and had four beers the night before the race. I won my age group and set a HIM and half marathon PR. If those are diminishing returns, then I could probably beat the Brownlee brothers if I gave up drinking.... ::;^)::

Bryan
~runs cleaner on ethanol

POSTED: 6/07/13 2:10 PM

Sorry Trevor, I don't trust any article that can't properly distinguish the correct grammatical usage of "effect" and "affect" :)

POSTED: 6/07/13 2:26 PM

Actually, it's used correctly ;)

"Effect" is the noun form, which is used properly as the object being possessed (Its).

You know as well as I do, scientists can't spell for shit, anyways. We took biology and chemistry, our spelling mattered only if it was NaCl, C2H6O, or Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis; we weren't English majors ;) Proven by your purporting a grammatical error.

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 362
POSTED: 6/07/13 2:29 PM

Con-

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2008/09/wine-vs-workouts-effects-of-alcohol.html

Pro-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3zkkLckeyM

I like Margaritas with lots of salt :)

POSTED: 6/07/13 2:48 PM

"Effects" (noun) is the direct object to the pronoun/verb, "Its" A direct object is noun which receives the action from the verb.

"It has effects on performance" vice "It affects performance."

And yes, I had to look up the proper grammar identifiers. Couldn't find my MLS style handbook....

POSTED: 6/07/13 2:54 PM

In the link name: http://athletics.macalester.edu/custompages/Deno_Videos/nutrition/nutrition_affects_of_alcohol.pdf

Proper usage: "nutrition effects of alcohol"

First paragraph:
Precision, equilibrium, hand-eye coordination, judgment, ability to process information, focus, stamina, strength, power, and speed are all negatively effected for many hours after blood alcohol levels return to 0.0%.

Proper usage: "...are all negatively affected for...." :)

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 362
POSTED: 6/07/13 2:56 PM

...I thought this thread was going to be fun :(

POSTED: 6/07/13 2:59 PM

GADZOOKS! Sorry that I doubted you. I didn't even read the first couple paragraphs.

And Pam, this thread would be much more fun with jello shots.

jbrez's ravatar jbrez    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 267
POSTED: 6/07/13 4:11 PM

This thread is making me reconsider my choices in life. Especially with Brian's input.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1064
POSTED: 6/07/13 4:39 PM

I do remember questioning the number of beers Bryan drank the night before IMLP 2011. But when he lapped me on the run I quickly stopped judging. I also know that even if Bryan is completely drunk, we should NEVER question his grammar.

I have cut out alcohol for 2-3 months before my two IM races. Performance-wise, I'm not fast enough for it to have a significant effect on my race time. But the reduction in calories causes me to drop weight very quickly. Both because of the reduction in beverage calories AND by reducing the quality of meals that I tend to combine with alcohol (Bacon Cheeseburgers and French fries).

As a happy medium, I tried to create a plan for moderation by not drinking on consecutive days and only one day a week allowing myself more than two drinks. Anyone who has spent time with me recently knows that I'm not currently following this plan.

Current drink of choice: good bourbon.

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 205
POSTED: 6/07/13 6:35 PM

I like water.

-Andy Sovonick of Gaithersburg

Diablo1666's ravatar Diablo1666    JOINED: 3/4/13    POSTS: 9
POSTED: 6/07/13 8:54 PM

Thanks for the responses.

It wasn't my intentions to turn this into such a hilarious post but I guess it happens.

I think I may consider Bryan's approach. Thanks for the influence!

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 212
POSTED: 6/07/13 10:56 PM

I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly...

lockemike's ravatar lockemike    JOINED: 5/26/09    POSTS: 57
POSTED: 6/08/13 11:36 AM

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! While "affect" is generally a verb and "effect" is generally a noun, there are exceptions:

Effect can be a verb specifically when it means "to directly cause" and affect is a noun when it refers to emotional state. MY LINGUISTICS DEGREE IS WORTH SOMETHING!

More importantly, while Bryan is obviously an ethanol-powered superhuman, some of us are still regretting that we stayed up drinking the night before the Philadelphia Marathon and ended up missing our goal time by five minutes.

...now to go for a run and crack open a cold one. Nessie out.

sub6meanderer's ravatar sub6meanderer    JOINED: 11/8/12    POSTS: 56
POSTED: 6/08/13 5:44 PM

where's the creativity here? haven't folks found other options of desired effect without the issues? Where's Lance?

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria