Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Vote for Holly
CREATED: 07/02/09 by xena REPLIES: 4
xena's ravatar xena    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 138
Vote for Holly
POSTED: 7/02/09 12:30 PM

Hopefully Holly will still be speaking to me after this ...

Holly Gannoe Shoemaker is a fellow DC Tri-er and creater/coach/mom of Cancer to 5K. http://www.cancerto5k.com/
After going through her own hell of being diagnosed and treated for cancer, she took her own challenges and experiences and turned them into a continuing positive experience for other cancer survivors.

Basically the program helps cancer survivors train for a 5K in an effort to get them back to an exercise program. Most of you can run a 5K in your sleep, but could you do it 3 weeks after a chemo course? Me neither, but the CT5Ker I walked with did.

Even more amazing is that Holly kept the program going this spring while planning her wedding and training for her own Ironman.
She is so incredibly giving of herself and her time and she's truly one of those people who makes you a better person for knowing her.

I cannot think of a better way to celebrate Holly's 4 year survivorship of nodular melanoma than with an Ironman and an award at Ironman.

So if you feel inclined, shoot an email to helen@ironman.com.

mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
RE: Vote for Holly
POSTED: 7/02/09 12:55 PM

what exactly are we voting for? I'm happy to do this, holly is amazing--just need to know what to ask for.

xena's ravatar xena    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 138
POSTED: 7/02/09 12:56 PM

Sorry, I suck at life.

Ford Recognizes Special Athletes With
The "Everyday Hero" Award

The next individual to be recognized as a Ford "Everyday Hero" will be at the Ford Ironman Lake Placid. This program has been created by Ford to recognize the efforts of special individuals who have had a positive impact in their respective communities.

The winner of the "Everyday Hero" Award will receive an entry slot into any continental United States Ironman race in the next year; including those already full to general entry, in addition to a $1,000 donation to a local charity of their choice as well as other prizes. The recipient will also receive local exposure in the form of video coverage at the Ford Ironman Welcome Dinner where they will be seated with the Ford corporate representatives.

Ford presents an "Everyday Hero" award at every full-distance Ironman event on the US Ironman race calendar. The "Everyday Hero" Award is geared toward athletes who have contributed to a person, charity or organization in a significant way and who have done so while undertaking the rigorous training for an Ironman event. The recognition tied to the award will give the Ironman community a first-hand account of the contributions and sacrifices this person has made.

We know there are many stories of athletes who have used their Ironman journeys to improve the lives of people and organizations in their communities. Please help us to recognize these special individuals and their causes. Send in your submission for a Ford "Everyday Hero" to Ironman, via e-mail at helen@ironman.com.

mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
POSTED: 7/02/09 1:09 PM

Yeah, you suck, nominating deserving people for awesome awards. Thanks!

catgold's ravatar catgold    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 87
POSTED: 7/02/09 5:01 PM

I voted. Remember the blog post about "being last"? That's Holly.

I have volunteered with the Cancer to 5k program and I can tell you that it is amazing. Holly is amazing. Please vote!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria