DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Anyone on weekly century+ rides?
CREATED: 07/18/11 by piyushdabomb REPLIES: 6
piyushdabomb    JOINED: 5/10/10    POSTS: 84
Anyone on weekly century+ rides?
POSTED: 7/18/11 2:35 PM

Hi Everyone,

With my IM right around the corner, I've been training hard on 100+ mile rides. What's hard is having to ride all by yourself for 6-7 hours training on these long rides.

Are there any long group rides that occur on Saturdays for those who are in a similar position?

Any help would be great.

IM: Canada/August 28.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1761
RE: Anyone on weekly century+ rides?
POSTED: 7/18/11 3:39 PM

Along with the regular, quite fast Sat rides, which often go long out towards Sugarloaf, you might check out the frequent Front Royal rides, with clubbers and others, which go for 60-80 miles up the steep Blue Ridge. It's my impression you can head there early any weekend morning and find riders from outside DCT.

Also, post the ride you do. With Tuan's and Carrie's rides wrapping up, there's definitely a demand for another regular, not-so-superfast long ride.

POSTED: 7/19/11 3:19 PM

Hi Ed,

Thanks for letting me know.

I'm riding long and slow, at about 16-19mph, depending on the brutality of the course. By the way, this weekend I am going to Skyline drive (maybe with a friend). If anyone has a bike rack and wants to join, let me know.

Assuming that people know how to go from Macarthur to River, the following directions take me to Frederick:

Turn left onto River Rd total 28.0 mi
Turn right onto W Willard Rd total 32.3 mi
Turn right onto Wootton Ave total 32.4 mi
Turn left onto Elgin Rd total 33.1 mi
Turn right onto Jerusalem Rd total 34.7 mi
Turn left onto MD-28 W/Darnestown Rd total 37.9 mi
Turn right onto MD-28 W/Dickerson Rd total 42.8 mi
Continue onto MD-85 N/Buckeystown Pike total 51.2 mi
Keep right at the fork total 52.8 mi
Slight right to stay on MD-85 N/Buckeystown Pike total 52.9 mi
Turn left onto MD-355 N/Urbana Pike total 55.7 mi

I sound boring, but I essentially make a U-Turn from there.

Different routes include Deep Creek and Skyline drive that I'm experimenting because IM Canada is slowww and hillyyy.

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 295
POSTED: 7/19/11 4:14 PM

Remember, IMC is one loop, so that lonely feeling while you're out in the middle of nowhere is something you should get used to -- since on race day you'll also be climbing two passes. Don't underestimate the importance of mentally getting through the long ride w/o outside help.

POSTED: 7/19/11 4:21 PM

Hi Merlinkim,

Thanks for this. I know the feeling because I've done about 3 century rides alone now in the middle of nowhere (river road to frederick feels like that). In fact, all I do is ride alone.

In about 3 weeks, I have another 112 mile/4 mile combo. I'm doing that one alone.

What do you mean by "two passes"?

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 295
POSTED: 7/19/11 4:58 PM

If you haven't seen your course map for IMC, you should take a look. (Technically, Yellow Lake isn't a pass.) The more times you ride the first six miles of Skyline Drive, (i.e., repeats), the better.

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 7/19/11 7:49 PM

Even though it is only one loop, I found the IMC bike course to actually be surprisingly crowded...it is an M-dot race afterall!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria