Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Advice Needed: Long Hair?
CREATED: 02/02/12 by MallowCN83 REPLIES: 8
MallowCN83's ravatar MallowCN83    JOINED: 1/20/11    POSTS: 59
Advice Needed: Long Hair?
POSTED: 2/02/12 10:23 AM

Any ladies (or men) have super long hair? How do you deal with it when it comes to training and racing?

I currently have hair nearly down to my lower back. Ive been growing it out for the past 3.5 years after chopping it off post-breakup. It was kind of a traumatic experience and I regretted it less than a week later (the hair cut, not the break-up!).

I'll admit it, I'm super attached to my long hair. But it's a real hassle to take care of, especially when it comes to training and racing. My swim caps refuse to stay on. If I braid it, it gets stuck on the zipper of my tri suit. If I don't braid it, I end up with a knotted mess.

I have considered cutting it short (like above shoulder length) for the upcoming tri season, but it's not like I can just attach my long hair back on when the season is over. I'm deperately seeking your advice fellow tri-ladies!

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
RE: Advice Needed: Long Hair?
POSTED: 2/02/12 11:17 AM

Would be neat to donate to a cancer organization that makes wigs for kids. - What an inspiration that would be through the Tri season!

pomonak    JOINED: 12/12/11    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 2/02/12 12:09 PM

What a great thread! I also have long hair and have been contemplating cutting it. I've kind of grown to like my long hair even though I generally prefer it short, so anyone has any tips on training with long hair, I'm all ears.

My biggest problem is shoving all of my long, thick, straight Asian hair under a swim cap. I tried putting it in a bun, breading it... nothing seems to work quite right.

Looking forward to hearing about other folks' experience.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 452
POSTED: 2/02/12 12:51 PM

USMC Henderson Hall Barber Shop... $9 + tip... problem solved. ;-)

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 360
POSTED: 2/02/12 1:17 PM

Pig tail braids. It works. You look like you are two or Heidi in the race pictures, but it helps.

gswiszcza's ravatar gswiszcza    JOINED: 1/27/10    POSTS: 33
POSTED: 2/02/12 4:01 PM

I had hair slightly shorter than yours for my first 2 seasons and I was all about braids. I'd do a regular braid for training and then do a tight french braid for racing. I use a long hair swim cap for swimming instead of a regular cap (though, honestly, for straight swim training, I think a bun in a cap is easier than a braid), and you can spend a little time pre-stretching a race cap to make it easier to get on on race day. I don't have very thick hair, but I was able to get my hair and my garmin in my swim cap with only a little bit of fiddling.

I can't help much with the wetsuit problem because I am a notorious hater of wetsuits. I did have the same velcro catch problem, but it my case, it catches the hair at the nape of my neck and not the braid itself, so I had the issue no matter what I did with my hair.

denaindc's ravatar denaindc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 146
POSTED: 2/02/12 4:15 PM

My hair is not nearly as long, but it is thick and I had a lot of trouble my first season. First I put my hair in a pony tail at the right height to thread it thru the bike helmet opening and a run visor. I wind it up in a bun for the swim. When I take the cap off, it kinda falls back into a pony tail for the bike and run. It's taken me a few tries to find the right height for the pony tail. Good luck ladies.

laineym3's ravatar laineym3    JOINED: 7/2/10    POSTS: 122
POSTED: 2/03/12 10:19 AM

My thick Asian hair was down to mid back all last season. Braiding, then putting it in a bun helped for me for regular training. I didn't have too many issues with the swim cap. The hairstyle I find to be MOST challenging are bangs. I've stayed away from bangs since I started Tris. hard to clip back and they almost never stay clipped.

Race day: ponytail, then braid, with multiple hair bands so it stayed in place. I would set it low enough so that I could thread it through the bike helmet. And would wear a visor or something for the run.

After the season was over... I was tired of the long hair and I winded up chopping it off. I have no real emotional connection to my hair, I go through these phases where I grow it real long, then chop it off, rinse, and repeat (pun intended!) :) My hair grows so fast that I know in a few months, it'll be down my back again.

Good luck!

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1044
POSTED: 2/03/12 11:46 AM

Not that I have any experience with long hair, but a silicone swim cap would be better suited for swimming instead of the latex ones. We can fit one of our toddler swimmers inside of the cap when stretched.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria