Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Question on using a trainer
CREATED: 03/08/10 by starcaro REPLIES: 5
starcaro's ravatar starcaro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 60
Question on using a trainer
POSTED: 3/08/10 12:09 PM

So I finally got a trainer and set it up even though the weather is now improving. However, I have a question about the set up. The one I got has a metal skewer to insert in the back tire, but that requires removing the skewer and quick release thingy that is on my bike and replacing it with the one that comes with the trainer each time I want to use it or switch it back. It's not impossible, but its a bit of a pain in the ass. What is the reason for switching it? Is it completely necessary? What if instead of switching out the whole skewer I only switch the bolt side near the gears since the one I have looks like its made of plastic and this one is metal? Can anyone explain this to me? Sorry i am not that knowledgeable about gear to know what the terms for these pieces are, so I can further elaborate if necessary.

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
RE: Question on using a trainer
POSTED: 3/08/10 12:16 PM

I assume both skewers fit your wheel and frame (which sounds like you've tried)? You could almost certainly leave the "trainer" skewer in permanently.
-Jaosn

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1270
POSTED: 3/08/10 12:19 PM

Each trainer works a little bit differently. Perhaps folks can provide better help if you provide the brand name of your trainer. I have a Kurt Kinetic trainer that comes with its own skewer. I've never had to use that. Most of the trainer that I've seen (including mine), you can just hook up your bike as is. There is no need to remove your quick release/skewer and replace with them the one provided but the trainer. The skewer that is provided is usually for bikes that have really funky configurations (i.e., really old bikes or odd sized bikes).

Tuan

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 3/08/10 12:24 PM

To add onto what Jason and Tuan said: Sometimes using the provided skewer can provide more stability than the one that came with your wheel. As you notice, the trainer skewer is medal and yours is plastic. It also may be heavier than the one that came with your wheel.
Additionally, skewers can get scratched up by being in the trainer. If you have a nice skewer and don't want it to get scratched, the trainer skewer takes the wear and tear. Your nice skewer stays nice.

KingsPoint2001's ravatar KingsPoint2001    JOINED: 11/2/09    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 3/08/10 12:26 PM

I have the same. Some higher end bikes don't have a steel skewer in order to reduce weight. The steel skewer is stronger for the compression that is created by the trainer clampong down on it. Additionally some skewer ends are made od plastic to reduce weight. You wouldny want to put your bike and body weight onto the little plastic cap on the end of the skewer and that happens when the trainer connects to the skewer. Plastic scewers can potentially break.

starcaro's ravatar starcaro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 60
POSTED: 3/08/10 12:39 PM

Wow, Thanks everyone for the response... I'l go check the differences between the skewers to see if the one I use seems strong enough, and if not, then leave the trainer ones in most of the time except for races.

Thanks again everyone!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria