Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

How an RD should explain cancellations
CREATED: 07/09/12 by tgalbert REPLIES: 4
tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 403
How an RD should explain cancellations
POSTED: 7/09/12 12:17 PM

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Gen-Smallwood-Sprint-Tri---Cancelled-Letter-from-the-RD.html?soid=1101645261355&aid=7z6KZmBPH94

Well done, sir. Well done.

Thoughts? Discussion? Was anyone affected by the cancellation?

Hope everyone was safe over the weekend. Please keep those who went to (or remain in) the hospital from Saturday's race in your thoughts.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1320
RE: How an RD should explain cancellations
POSTED: 7/09/12 12:52 PM

One of the things not mentioned in that email, but is a real issue for the RD is his ability to acquire the proper permits and community support for future years. He could have gone against the advice of the Sheriff's office and EMS, but that would have endangered his ability to get permits and support for future years. Decisions that are made on race day quite often have great impacts on the survival of the event for future years. We've face the same types of issues/dilemma with PeasantMan in the past.

He made the right call. All of his other explanations were spot on. I feel for the man. Cancelling an event or altering an advertised course is 100x more agonizing than the decision an athlete makes to pull himself off of the course in the middle of a race. It stays with you for a little bit and is not made lightly.

Tuan

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1061
POSTED: 7/09/12 12:54 PM

I think John and his MTS crew did a fine job in explaining the reason for the cancellation of the sprint race. I was down there Friday and his crew were getting things ready in the heat. As someone who has put on club races in the past, one thing you cannot control are the weather conditions. Yes, I was a bit bummed that it was cancelled, but they are pretty accommadating with transferring your entry to another race (which is something most RDs won't do).

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 7/09/12 12:57 PM

it is good that the RD is offereing a transfer to another race so that the racers don't lose out on all their money, for that reason only the RD did a very good job and should get kudos for doing the best that could be done in a bad situation.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 7/09/12 2:20 PM

Quite frankly, I am surprised they didn't cancel Saturday's race as well.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria