Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Need winter vacation advice: with bike rental, good roads, sun, and family activities
CREATED: 09/06/11 by HappyRunner REPLIES: 4
HappyRunner's ravatar HappyRunner    JOINED: 1/15/11    POSTS: 206
Need winter vacation advice: with bike rental, good roads, sun, and family activities
POSTED: 9/06/11 1:46 PM

I know summer only ended yesterday, but today hasn't even broken 60 degrees yet and I'm already thinking of winter vacation planning.

Looking for a spot that is bike friendly (decent road bike rentals, good roads), guaranteed warm (80's or above), and has stuff for kids (tweens) to do. Oh, did I mention not too far away and not too expensive?

Is this the impossible dream or does anyone have a recommendation?

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 714
RE: Need winter vacation advice: with bike rental, good roads, sun, and family activities
POSTED: 9/06/11 4:24 PM

Hawaii - anywhere in Hawaii. Shop for good airfare and it is no more expensive than anywhere in the US. You can rent a bike from a good Tri store out there. Lots of tri clubs and running clubs to hook up with and the weather is always perfect.

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 296
RE: Need winter vacation advice: with bike rental, good roads, sun, and family activities
POSTED: 9/06/11 4:43 PM

Off the top of my head, I think San Diego/Palm Springs, Tuscon or Austin would meet your criteria - if you can swing Hawaii, of course, that would be ideal. I've heard crazy things about Florida drivers and bikes, so I wouldn't chance it down there.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1069
POSTED: 9/06/11 9:29 PM

A small group of people are heading to Puerto Rico in January to do La Vuelto Puerto Rico. Flights are very reasonable and it looks like a great weekend. I'm jealous that I can't go this year.

vkanders    JOINED: 7/4/11    POSTS: 45
POSTED: 9/07/11 10:05 AM

If you wind up in Hawaii, specifically, Oahu, the Waikiki Swim Club has several ocean swims each week and welcomes visitors. Great chance to get in some beautiful open water swimming.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria