Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New kit gear is awesome
CREATED: 01/24/13 by tgalbert REPLIES: 30
tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 403
New kit gear is awesome
POSTED: 1/24/13 7:40 AM

I got a sneak peek at the new gear that we're getting from Louis Garneau and tried some on to get a feel for it (no pun intended...jk, totally intended).

For those of us who were victims to the old gear for the last few seasons, there is salvation! Not going to lie, I'm extremely impressed by the quality, fit, and style options. Looks great, feels great on my gingery body.

I should definitely add, there is some difference between the "levels" of gear (performance vs Elite) as sizing differs (think Club Cut vs Race Cut). Very glad I got to try the kit on.

Big ups to Ryan and Abby for spearheading the effort to make this new partnership happen. I can't wait to order a new set of gear with our new design. Best Looking Club Team award in our future? Hells yes.

legalmoose's ravatar legalmoose    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 222
RE: New kit gear is awesome
POSTED: 1/24/13 7:44 AM

So which design "won" the survey?

Will

afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 257
POSTED: 1/24/13 8:13 AM

I'll second that. The new LG Gear is sweet. Thanks Ryan, Abby and gear testing team!

Mindy    JOINED: 1/31/12    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 1/24/13 8:17 AM

I did a little happy jig when I tried on the LG gear for the first time at Abby's place - those shorts are seamless! I had to size up - I have dubbed LG's Elite sizing in females as 'Hong Kong sizing,' but so excited to race in LG next year! Woot woot, THANKS Ryan and Abby!

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 1/24/13 8:32 AM

Thank you all for the shout outs. I, too, am in love with the "Huggfit" waistband on all the women's shorts and the no-silicone leg bands. I honestly can't wait to race in the stuff!

As far as sizing, we will offer two kit styles: the "Elite Pro" line (tops/shorts/onesies) and the "Performance" top paired with "Power" shorts. The "Elite Pro" line is a "next-to-skin" compression fit, and while the shorts run comparable to the old gear, most ladies will want to size up in the tops. We will make an effort to give people a chance to try things on, so don't fret. FYI, the Performance line fits comparable to the old gear.

Given Mindy's joke about "Hong Kong sizing," I have to plug that Louis Garneau sources and manufactures all their gear in NORTH AMERICA! Our stuff will be a combo of Made in Canada/Made in the USA!!

As for the DESIGN... you all will just have to wait for the BIG REVEAL!

Stay tuned!

Abby

simba2109's ravatar simba2109    JOINED: 6/23/11    POSTS: 57
POSTED: 1/24/13 9:04 AM

I tested out the fit of the LG gear as well, and I really do like the new gear! My biggest gripe about bike/tri shorts is typically the leg bands. I tried on both the power shorts (regular inseam) and the elite shorts (in the shorter inseam version), and the leg bands grip without squeezing. Love that! Also, the waist band on the shorts feels amazing -- very smooth.

For the tri tops, I tried on both the performance and the elite tops. Both fit comfortably around the arm/chest area, allowing for good mobility. The elite top offers more compression, as others have mentioned above, and is a bit shorter than the performance top. On both tops, though, I didn't feel like they would ride up as I know other tri tops tend to do.

I tried on the one-piece in the elite line, and felt the inseam was too long on me. I'm not sure if we'll be able to select regular or short inseam on the one-piece.

I typically wear a XS or S in tri tops and a S in tri/cycling shorts and here is how the new gear sizing compares for me as a 5'5" female:

Elite top -- M
Performance top -- S
Elite shorts in short inseam -- S
Power shorts - S

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 708
POSTED: 1/24/13 10:05 AM

Do you think you'll have kits available at Freshbikes or one of DC Tri's merchant partners so we can try them on?

Preferably - not AFTER a Ron spin session...

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 403
POSTED: 1/24/13 10:27 AM

In years before, I remember kits were at a vendor location during the week fore people to stop by, and it was available at several locations (Arlington, MoCo, DC)....

gardengirl's ravatar gardengirl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 119
POSTED: 1/24/13 12:58 PM

Shorts are awesome. Think LuLulemon/Athleta waistband for "Huggfit."

POSTED: 1/24/13 2:43 PM

We will definitely have opportunities to try things on... stay tuned!

sewert12's ravatar sewert12    JOINED: 5/21/10    POSTS: 103
POSTED: 1/24/13 8:59 PM

Although I haven't worked out in them, I got to try on the LG kits and they feel great. And they look way better than the old gear, which is almost as important, right? Kidding...sort of.

Excited for the new season with the new gear. And I echo the shoutouts to Ryan, Abby, and the others who got it done.

POSTED: 2/01/13 12:27 PM

And it's here!

https://www.dctriclub.org//index.cfm?fuseaction=Learn.buzz&id=571

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 296
POSTED: 2/01/13 3:48 PM

Could the gear gurus provide a description of the difference between the different versions of the kit?

I.e., "performance racer" and "elite pro" tops, "elite power" and "elite pro" shorts and "regular" vs. "short" inseam are different how?

Fabric differences, pad differences, # of pockets/placement, sipper length, etc., would be helpful, especially for those who won't have access to the sizing kit. Thanks!

brucefan    JOINED: 12/6/12    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 2/01/13 4:32 PM

Are the one pieces going to have the club design?

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 507
POSTED: 2/01/13 5:07 PM

Yes - we won't have the jpeg yet for it. The image in our shop is FPO.

RT

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 983
POSTED: 2/01/13 7:32 PM

Ihan,

We will get on that. The shop is still a work in progress for descriptions. We just wanted to get the shop opened up so that we could start taking orders so that they could be fulfilled before the race season begins.

For now, if you have any questions, you can read descriptions and differences between material chamois on the Custom Louis Garneau website.

Bryan

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 983
POSTED: 2/02/13 4:31 PM

Update:

There are now fabric descriptions and chamois descriptions posted for the tri gear. Hopefully most of the questions about the differences for that gear is now answered.

We'll get to the cycling gear soon with descriptions.

Bryan

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 296
POSTED: 2/04/13 2:40 PM

So I got to check out the sizing kit over the weekend. I will say that the new descriptions are pretty helpful, and that other than the chamois (and use of a strategically placed black color panel in one option), I couldn't tell much of a difference between the tri-shorts.

For the tri-tops, on the other hand, the "elite" top is _much_ slimmer and shorter than the "performance" top. The "elite" top didn't have that much vertical (shoulder-to-waistband) stretch, and was a pretty skin-tight fit (38" chest, 5'5", trying a size S men's). If you're wearing a heart-rate monitor, folks will be able to read the embossed brand logo on your chest strap.
The "performance" top, on the other hand, was looser in fit around the chest and stomach. It was 2" longer while on the hanger, which translated to being able to about 6" of additional length when worn (if stretched). If you're worried about avoiding a "tramp stamp" sunburn, the performance top is the one to get. Pocket placement was identical 2 behind each kidney (Powerbar-sized, not water bottle-sized). Zippers were pretty close as well.

Great vendor choice -- looking forward to seeing the new kit on race day!

jrbruck's ravatar jrbruck    JOINED: 8/1/11    POSTS: 26
POSTED: 2/06/13 12:41 PM

Just tried on the new kit gear...AWESOME JOB Abby and Ryan!

lockemike's ravatar lockemike    JOINED: 5/26/09    POSTS: 57
POSTED: 2/12/13 10:58 AM

I'd also like to echo that--as one of those philistines who was really happy with the ChampSys gear from years past--I tried on the sample kit and was instantly smitten. Ihan's right, if you have a long torso (like me!) the "performance" top is the only option, but it's really nice. And if (again, like me) you have massive bulging thigh muscles, the shorts are SO COMFORTABLE.

For ref: I'm 6'2" and ended up ordering both a Large top (perf) & shorts(power).

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria