DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Ironman Frankfurt 2012
CREATED: 05/30/11 by lisalisadc REPLIES: 1
lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
Ironman Frankfurt 2012
POSTED: 5/30/11 5:02 AM

Hi-

I really enjoyed Challenge Roth Iron distance race (the Original and best Ironman Europe) in 2009. No doubt, Ironman Frankfurt is an awesome race, too. People can sign up for Ironman Frankfurt as a Group before registration opens to individuals. An FYI for people who want to follow in Vertical Swimmer's footsteps.

Holen Sie sich darauf!
(get to it!)

Lisa
------
If you are thinking of doing IronMan Frankfurt in July 2012 (next
year), they accept GROUP entry before general single registration is
open mid June 2011.

Usually slots are all taken within a few hours. So if you are thinking of signing up, sign up now as a group. Fee is EUR495. The event date has not announced yet but definitely in July 2012.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1267
RE: Ironman Frankfurt 2012
POSTED: 5/31/11 9:10 AM

For those who are interested, Ironman Germany is the Ironman European Championship. It's like going to Kona without having to qualify. All of the top dogs will be there. It's billed as the second most competitive race (next to Kona) on the WTC Ironman circuit. My 11:57 time at IMFL last year puts me around the top 1/3 of the field at IMFL. That time translate to the bottom 50% of the field at IM Germany.

There are no qualification standards, but probably a lot of nudity in T1, T2, and T3. Since it's the Ironman European Championship, the swag that you get will probably be more than a piece of paper and a handshake that WTC usually gives out at a North American Ironman.

Cutoff time is 15 hours, not the normal 17 hours at all other Ironman events. Wetsuit has been legal in some years and not legal in others. Regardless of what USAT rules say, if the water is above 76.1 degrees, no one is allowed to wear a wetsuit. It doesn't matter if you are there to KQ or not. Everyone wears a wetsuit or no one wears one.

If you are a fast swimmer (i.e., can prove that you can go under one hour for an IM swim), you get to start with pro wave 15 minutes before everyone else. They allow 300 of the FASTEST documented swimmers to go before everyone else. Hard to believe that there are 300+ people who can go under one hour at an IM swim during the same race, but there are.

500,000 spectators, cobblestone climb on bike course, and run along the Rhine. There are no special needs bag areas like some Ironman, but there are several designated family support areas where your family can hand stuff to you without penalties. My one week of hotel rentals in Frankfurt costs as much as one week at IMFL ... or one day at IMLP :) No need for a car. All transportations can be done via public transport. They also give all racers a free 3 day pass on all public transportation.

If you are thinking about doing this, let me know. I might be interested in returning for 2012.

Tuan

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria