Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next Page

nations triathlon 2011 roll call !!!!
CREATED: 09/06/11 by eric guzmanaalv REPLIES: 130
PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 518
RE: nations triathlon 2011 roll call !!!!
POSTED: 9/09/11 10:11 AM

Since there won't be a swim, you can't get DQ'd for having a pool noodle this year. You could use one as a cushion to sit on while waiting in the start corrals before the race.

I wouldn't recommend that you bring it on the bike though. It tends to make it harder to drink from a water bottle.

clcohen's ravatar clcohen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 92
POSTED: 9/09/11 10:13 AM

I rode my bike to work over the 14th st bridge, and looked down on the Potomac. It's a muddy, smelly, disgusting mess. I think it could be really unsafe to swim in. And I'm not just saying that because I suck at the swim.

There are lots of puddles around, too. If the race organizers need to figure out a new route that could prevent crashes, they'll have my full support. I am out there for fun, not to get hurt or grow a third eye.

bmship    JOINED: 12/7/09    POSTS: 7
POSTED: 9/09/11 10:15 AM

Does anyone know if the initial entry into transition will be timed? For example, does your time start when you leave corral to enter the transition area or at the bike mount line?

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 363
POSTED: 9/09/11 10:25 AM

From what I heard last night from the Nations' reps - yes, from the point you leave the corrals to get your bike, that's your T1 time.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 9/09/11 10:40 AM

awesome!!! so the run to the transition is part of the timing that is great, it rewards people that run faster to the bikes and such.. this is a great way to start the race, wish i was doing it.! you guys are lucky as heck, no seriously it sounds like a fun time.

also tuan and others have pointed out that we should have some sympathy for the RD and the organization, its a tough job, and not everything is under their control, and there are various permits, state/fed agencies all being coordinated at the same time, thus you can't expect miracles when an act of nature happens to throw off litearlly months or years of planning. All of this is true, and should be considered by us all.

However, the RD and race organizations charge a heck of a lot of money for races these days, to the point that for some people a race can cost literally 1/2 weeks paycheck and may be one of only a few races they do all year, so its a major event for some.

With that in mind, constructive criticism, some complaining and whining, and questioning of what contingency plans are/should have been in place, etc, I believe is valid for the amount of time and money people have paid for what is now a major event in some people's lives.

I'm sure the RD and race organizations have very thick skins and can deal with some whining and questioning, they are paid to deal with these types of problems its part of their job.

good luck to you all and have fun out there.

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 9/09/11 10:49 AM

I think Karen's post is right on the money. I don't need to write much else, because she said it all, and aptly.

Indeed, I'm *heartily* disappointed because I trained to PR this weekend, but in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM are the weather conditions the fault of the RD or any of the volunteers. My #1 rule is to race safely, and there's no way putting myself in that river would be safe.

As for the bike-run event on Sunday, I'm prepared for a slogging. I'm going to try to have a muddy-good time and celebrate one of the things I love best about this race: the city shuts down for us to play in. Sweet.

Great discussion. Go DC TRi.
Rah.
Rah.

JayC101's ravatar JayC101    JOINED: 2/27/11    POSTS: 105
POSTED: 9/09/11 11:18 AM

I am actually pretty psyched for the race, swim or no swim I think it should be a fun time and make for a fairly unique experience.

Tynan's ravatar Tynan    JOINED: 1/17/11    POSTS: 44
POSTED: 9/09/11 11:40 AM

Another stupid question from Tom here, but I assume that because the swim has been cancelled, Nations no longer counts as a qualifying 2012 National Championship race? Have been training to qualify for Burlington, VT next year, so I'm a little bummed just like anyone else.

Tom

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 295
POSTED: 9/09/11 11:44 AM

According to their Facebook page, Nation's still counts as a Burlington qualifier.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1061
POSTED: 9/09/11 12:13 PM

Hi everyone,

This is definitely a qualifier for the Nat'l Champs. Another reason to go out there are race hard under the less than ideal conditions you have been given. I'm glad to see that most of you are planning to do just that. There will likely be a fairly large attrition rate because of the format change. Use that to your advantage and grab some of those qualifying slots!

I don't know what the exact splits are going to be for the TT bike start. Last night's discussion indicated 10-15 athletes released every 15-20 seconds. The organizers will be monitoring this process and you should probably expect a little ebb and flow. (Note: this is only MY opinion, not official race policy).

Thank you to all of you who are being understanding of the magnitude of rains we have received and how they will affect the race course. I assure you, the amount of effort that goes into planning this race in the best of conditions is monumental. But to deal with these weather conditions and the changes that are being forced upon us by natural forces, it is remarkable. Please thank a volunteer and especially the production team over the weekend. There are some pretty miserable conditions at Potomac Park and most of the production team recently had to deal with the same thing while building up the Hy-Vee race in Des Moines. And believe me when I say it, they aren't complaining about the rain. The race production team is one of the most professional groups of people I've ever been a part of.

And to take it one step further, we're lucky that the only thing we have to be concerned about this weekend is whether or not we are being timed while we run to our bikes or if we swim or not. Lives are literally being turned upside down by this weather. 3 lives were lost to the flooding in our area yesterday. North of us, homes and small business are being decimated by the flood waters. Let's try to keep that in perspective as we move through the weekend.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1742
POSTED: 9/09/11 1:53 PM

Bummed that the swim leg of the Nation's Triathlon has been cancelled due to the record rainfall. But I'm happy to offer my flooded street in Alexandria as a replacement course:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150366192135126&set=a.122460410125.135574.714070125&type=1&ref=nf

markhakd's ravatar markhakd    JOINED: 10/8/09    POSTS: 222
POSTED: 9/09/11 1:57 PM

Anyone have any race-day parking recommendations? Looks like the official parking lots down at Hains Point don't start opening up until 2pm on Sunday. So, I'm looking to park north of the course at a metered spot. Any particular areas I should check out first? And are most DC meters active on Sunday?

Thanks,
Kevin

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1742
POSTED: 9/09/11 2:02 PM

For tris and Cherry Blossom I like parking at the Reagan National lot at Gravelly Pt., then biking 1-2 miles over to Hains or the Lincoln Mem.

SeanG's ravatar SeanG    JOINED: 4/8/09    POSTS: 159
POSTED: 9/09/11 3:00 PM

Kevin, i've always parked around the state department and walked over. no meters on Sunday, and there are no apartments over there so pretty easy to find a spot. 10-15 minute walk. no problem.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 518
POSTED: 9/09/11 4:37 PM

Another casualty of the weather and swim cancellation: We won't break last year's record as the largest Olympic-distance race.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-4000/largest-triathlon-race/

We'll set the record again next year!

jdruke's ravatar jdruke    JOINED: 9/2/10    POSTS: 64
POSTED: 9/09/11 4:42 PM

I'm in! Also, I'll be at packet pickup tonight 5:30-8 and body marking tomorrow 12-4.

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 295
POSTED: 9/09/11 9:59 PM

FYI, I attempted to run around Hains Point this evening at sunset. The Potomac side is fine, but the channel side was flooded -- water over the seawall onto the grass nearly the length of the channel, and over the width of the road for about 1/4 mile of the southern tip. Since they're already setting up the course, don't be surprised if the run course changes to the alternative route described above.

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 9/11/11 1:45 PM

Great (2/3rds of a) race out there today folks. Sounds like people I talked to in the tent all had a great day.

POSTED: 9/12/11 5:14 AM

I enjoyed the race, although I wasn't too fond of wading through all that mud in transition. Maybe they can add more temporary walkways in the aisles and near the entrances/exits next year.

The drafting seemed to be worse this year. All of the early waves were traveling in pelotons! There wasn't even an attempt to avoid drafting. As I was riding up Clara Barton, I saw three separate pelotons heading back down on the other side of the road. Each group was tightly packed with no stragglers at all. People need to stop doing that. Or else they should just make it an official drafting race.

The weather turned out to be very nice. Too bad we didn't have all that sun last week.

I'll be back for both the Washington DC Tri and Nation's Tri next year. I hope everyone had a good race yesterday.

P.S. The W. Post reported that a 59-yr-old man died from a heart attack during the bike leg. He had only ridden 5 miles at that point. He was a coach for Team in Training. Sad to hear about it. It's been a crazy year with triathlon deaths. In this case, it had nothing to do with challenging conditions in an open water swim.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/cyclist-dies-in-washington-triathlon/2011/09/11/gIQAaAwbLK_story.html

HappyRunner's ravatar HappyRunner    JOINED: 1/15/11    POSTS: 192
POSTED: 9/12/11 7:40 AM

Quote POTOMACTRIATHELETE2009: I enjoyed the race, although I wasn't too fond of wading through all that mud in transition. Maybe they can add more temporary walkways in the aisles and near the entrances/exits next year.

I was suprised that they let people walk down the main aisle during racking. Had they taped off the main asile and forced everyone to enter the rows fron the ends during racking, that would have helped save the turf in the main aisle for the race day stress.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria