Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Next Page

Sunday Bike Ride with the Vertical Swimmer is BACK!!
CREATED: 06/16/10 by dsgrunning REPLIES: 156
dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1312
RE: Sunday Bike Ride with the Vertical Swimmer is BACK!!
POSTED: 6/27/10 5:10 PM

Hi John ... sorry that you and the rest of the gang got left behind. I hoped that you all were able to gather and continued as a group.

However, as I stated in my email to everyone (also posted in this thread) that the intent of the ride is not for all of us to be together for the entire 60 miles. That is not realistic. We all ride at different paces and are of different bike conditioning. This is not supposed to be a joy ride. We are all training for different things. This is why I listed the three different groups in the thread and this is why I gave out cue sheets.

Holding for 10 minutes+ will cause the faster riders to wait longer and it's not really fair for them. We had group of guys today who probably went 25 mph during that first stretch to the gas station. The group that I was with was cranking at about 21 mph average. There were people in our group who were going at probably 14-15 mph. It's just not realistic for the faster folks to wait for everyone.

The group that I was with waited for about 5 minutes. It was long enough for folks to use the restroom and take in gels. I did do a quick check before we left to make sure that everyone in MY pace group was on a bike. If you were in my group and I left you behind then I'm truely sorry. I'll make sure to do a better job next time. I want to make sure everyone has an enjoyable time out there.

However, I hoped that no one expects the ride to be like a century ride where we all sit around leisurely at rest stops. There are a bunch of us training for Ironmans and need to ride/train a certain way. Sitting around and do nothing for 10+ minutes may cause our muscles to tighten up.

As far as the folks in MY pace group. We did gather at intersections/lights/turn around points to make sure that the slower ones among the group to catch up. We did stop at gas stations along the way to make sure that everyone reload on their nutrition. I also stopped at base to make sure that everyone in MY pace group got back ok. It's not really fair to expect me to account for the 30+ people that were there today and make sure that they are all ok. I'm not a paid coach there to baby people along. I'm there to train just like everyone else. I know that it sounds harsh but that's the truth as I see it.

Tuan

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 459
POSTED: 6/27/10 5:52 PM

Awesome ride! Thanks Tuan for organizing. It was a tough day with the heat but everyone road strong.

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 6/27/10 8:59 PM

As a guy who was out there, not knowing anyone and not knowing the route, I'll say this about getting dropped:

I lost my chain twice today going up hills and completely lost sight of the group both times. And both times I thought to myself between curse words, "At least I was warned that the group wouldn't be waiting... glad I have my cue sheet."

trigator    JOINED: 5/14/10    POSTS: 21
POSTED: 6/27/10 9:48 PM

Great ride, that was my first real ride here in d.c. As someone who just moved here from FL i am not used to the hills, got left about 40 miles in on one of the hills, thought we would have had a quick stop at the gas station about 32miles in since i lost one of my water bottles, but hey overall i enjoyed the ride and thank god i wrote out my Q sheet. Only recommend a quick 2-3minute stop next time about every 15-20 miles. No big deal though, just have to be better prepared next time. Thx

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
RE: Sunday Bike Ride with the Vertical Swimmer
POSTED: 7/04/10 1:41 PM

Any word/update on what happened to our rider? I'm sorry to say I didn't even catch his name during the ride, but I saw him on the stretcher as I went by. Police made me keep moving, so I couldn't stop and make sure he was okay.

I bonked big time on that ride. Not use to distances over 50mi or so, and then I don't have to worry about nutrition. Last 10 miles took forever after everyone flew by me.

kmwpro's ravatar kmwpro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 269
POSTED: 7/04/10 2:19 PM

It was TJ, and the word from the scene was that he was going to be ok, he was just banged up. Hopefully we will get a more accurate update later!

His bike and the car also showed some signs of damange. It appeared that the driver was making a left into the church and didn't see the group of riders. The driver and his pregnant wife were quite shaken up.

Tuan and I tried to go back and rescue his bike with my car, but the the FD was out on parade duty, so it was locked up with no one inside the firehouse.

I'm sure Tuan will give us an update later.

To TJ: We are all hoping you are doing well!! Sorry that this happened to you.

riggodrill's ravatar riggodrill    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 103
POSTED: 7/04/10 3:42 PM

Thanks to all who came back from BP to check on me. Thanks Ben for making the phone call and help collect my stuff. Thanks Tuan for recovering my bike. I am banged up... but no broken bones. Be safe out there and always wear a helmet.

--TJ

kkaufer's ravatar kkaufer    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 126
POSTED: 7/04/10 4:48 PM

That was a scary looking scene. So glad to hear you're ok! Get some rest -- Versus is showing mult hours of coverage from that little bike race in France...

Kate

POSTED: 7/04/10 5:15 PM

So sorry TJ! It was very shocking when we all realized it was you that got hit. And then seeing you at the scene with the medics was very emotional! Glad that you are relatively okay. Rest and recovery quickly!!

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1768
POSTED: 7/04/10 5:16 PM

Knowing TJ, I bet the car lost.

(Several of us got there a bit late--Royalty waits for no one--but enjoyed it. Nice route, thanks.)

riggodrill's ravatar riggodrill    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 103
POSTED: 7/04/10 5:50 PM

Kevin, do you have a motor on your bike?

:-)

You looked great out there today. You are so ready for Lake Placid! Make us all proud.

-- TJ

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1312
POSTED: 7/04/10 6:02 PM

The car had multiple dents. Both car driver and passenger were shaken up. TJ was lying on the ground smiling and telling jokes. I talked to the paramedic afterward when I picked up his bike. Apparently he was telling the paramedic war stories en route to the hospital. That's an IRONMAN!

Tuan

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 7/04/10 11:04 PM

Glad to hear you turned out (relatively) okay.

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 7/06/10 9:45 AM

TJ--

SO glad you are okay. I thought you might like to know that some Coppi Cycling team guys asked about you yesterday. I was coming back on MacArthur and they noticed my tri club jersey and wanted to know how you were doing.

To second your motion, I had a bad crash on some railroad tracks in '04 where I endo-ed and landed on my head/shoulder in a pile of rocks. Blew out my right shoulder (forever). Blacked out. Cracked my helmet. I will never ride even 2 blocks on my hybrid without one.

--Abby

POSTED: 7/11/10 1:52 PM

Brisk ride in glorious weather along low-traffic Darnestown and Poolsville country roads. Excellent cue sheet from the Royal Geographer.

POSTED: 7/11/10 2:40 PM

Great ride! I did cut the ride a little short by heading directly into Poolesville, but still got in 72 miles. After the heat & humidity all week, it was a very pleasant morning.

jpdavis's ravatar jpdavis    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 26
POSTED: 7/11/10 3:32 PM

Great ride today. I was happy not to have any major biking issues (i.e. no flats!) Boy was I beat when I got home though!
80 miles felt more like 800.

laineym3's ravatar laineym3    JOINED: 7/2/10    POSTS: 122
POSTED: 7/18/10 1:06 PM

Just because the post was hilarious and I want to meet this Vertical Swimmer dude, please sign me up!

Definitely Introvert if not slower-vert...
wongela at gmail

POSTED: 7/18/10 5:50 PM

Nice course by the ridge of Sugarloaf Mt., along roads that are actually paved, unlike some of the routes in the area...Hate to ask but, do people actually climb Sugarloaf, or do loops there?

kkaufer's ravatar kkaufer    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 126
POSTED: 7/18/10 6:19 PM

A couple of us went up Sugarloaf today. I didn't look at my bike computer, but it doesn't seem all that much longer than the climb up McArthur to Falls Road, although the turns are a bit steeper. All in all, quite fun. The downhill isn't really fun though --- the road is twisty and you're pretty much hanging on to your breaks for dear life...

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria