Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Garmin 310XT
CREATED: 11/29/09 by krafty81 REPLIES: 14
krafty81's ravatar krafty81    JOINED: 5/20/09    POSTS: 127
Garmin 310XT
POSTED: 11/29/09 7:53 PM

XMAS time again - not sure if I want one of these or not. I have a 305 right now. Can anybody tell me the difference, besides the waterproof part?

Battery last longer?
Easier to move from bike to run?
Better display (looks the same in the pic)
I know it is wireless - that is a plus.

Thanks!

Did see that Costco has the 400 model on sale for 299....

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
RE: Garmin 310XT
POSTED: 11/29/09 8:08 PM

I don't have the 310XT myself, but I have been looking (drooling) at it. The battery life is definitely longer - a plus if you're looking to do anything longer than a 1/2 IM (and my main reason for looking at it). One of our club members (DCRainmaker) did a very good and thorough review of the 310XT. You can find it here:

http://dcrainmaker.blogspot.com/2009/09/garmin-forerunner-310xt-in-depth-review.html

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 11/29/09 9:16 PM

I'm drooling also. One plus, if you buy one before 12/31 there is a $50 rebate offer. I held back from buying it today but it may be an early Christmas gift to myself.

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 11/29/09 9:51 PM

Sandy,

Thanks for posting that, I never saw that posting. Just solidified what I will be getting when I get back. Man that was an awesome and thorough article. I am amazed at what this thing is capable of doing, as well as how he put it in the back of his swim cap and got the swim portion. I like toys with buttons.

krafty81's ravatar krafty81    JOINED: 5/20/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 11/30/09 12:32 AM

The Rainman has quite a blog...and a great report on the 310XT. I don't know many people who monitor their heart rates during a tri...I'll have to look into that.

dwitt616's ravatar dwitt616    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 50
POSTED: 11/30/09 10:18 AM

Does anyone know if the version that includes the Heart Rate Monitor includes the premium (soft strap) HRM or the standard (mostly rubber) HRM?

I think Rainmaker is showing it with the premium, but I'm not too sure if that's standard of if they just gave him the premium for promotional purposes.

*Just wondering what goes on my christmas list :)

Thank you!!!

POSTED: 11/30/09 10:22 AM

Dan - I believe that the 310XT does NOT include any HRM strap in the box. You have to purchase separately (unless otherwise noted by whomever you are purchasing from).

dcrainmaker's ravatar dcrainmaker    JOINED: 3/24/09    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 11/30/09 10:49 AM

It depends on which version you buy - the one with or without the HR strap.

If you buy the one with the HR strap, then it comes with the Premium HR strap. If you buy the unit w/o the strap, then it comes with nuttin.

The unit I was sent was the one with the strap - and thus the newer Premium Strap.

As far as using HR's during tri's - I use it during the bike and run to guage effort - especially on longer events.

dwitt616's ravatar dwitt616    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 50
POSTED: 11/30/09 10:52 AM

OK,

So here's what I'm having trouble reconciling.

This seems like a great product, but seems to still be lacking for us tri-sport enthusiasts.

Right now, I'm debating between the Suunto Tc6 tri pack and this Garmin 310XT with all the goodies.

One of the most finicky parts for me is that I'm looking for a device that has a stem mount for the bike (I have clip-on aerobars which take up all the open space on my handle bars).

This is where the Garmin comes out way ahead. It has that quick release kit, which to me is very appealing.

Where the Garmin falls very short though (and where the Suunto seems to suceed) is in the water. My goal this year is to get a lot better in the water. Knowing my HR could prove very useful (though I'm open to comments on this front).

When all the goodies are included the Suunto is a bit (roughly $100 more expensive). For a good watch that covers all 3 sports - that seems to make sense. But again, I come back to the darn stem mount!!!

I could always sling the thing over my handle bars - like I've been doing with my polar until now. But that hardly seems like most effective (read: the cool thing) to do....

Thoughts?

Is it too much to hope that Garmin may eventually come out with a HRM that does transmit under water (that will hopefully be compatable with the 310XT?)

KingsPoint2001's ravatar KingsPoint2001    JOINED: 11/2/09    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 12/26/09 11:48 PM

I just wanted to add for anyone looking to get their hands on one of these, I found the $50 rebate form on the REI website when I looked up one of the models. I think I've finally given in to the temptation.

Remember, you have to buy before 12/31!!! :)

Pete

jpanek    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 12/27/09 9:30 PM

Just returned mine after 3 months of frustration.

When it worked, it was great. I really liked the customizability and it had every function I wanted or needed.

After a while, it stopped synching with any of my computers (both mac and pc) despite loading Garmin's latest drivers. Then, the day of my "A" race IMFL, the HRM strap stopped working after just 2 months of not quite daily use. Finally, at 15 hours 30 minutes into the race (with about 1 hour to go), the display froze up. When I reset it later that evening, there was still 25% battery life remaining.

I complained to roadrunner sports where I bought it, and they were great about taking it back despite being out of the returnable dates. MIght have had something to do with the multiple delays before it shipped.

No one will ever come out with a HRM that transmits underwater, unless they can defy the laws of physics. There is a unit out there that measures HRM at your earlobe and is connected by wire to the display.

POSTED: 12/28/09 7:40 PM

For a swimming HRM, I saw this in a magazine: http://www.finisinc.com/Company/Tech_Sheets/Aqua_Pulse/aquapulse_technology.aspx

I have no idea if this works or not. Just sharing the info.

KingsPoint2001's ravatar KingsPoint2001    JOINED: 11/2/09    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 1/03/10 8:19 PM

dcrainmaker -

Is your site down? Was trying to review some of the other products you did reviews for. They are really great. Hope you didn't loose the site.

I knew you had a review for the Edge 405. If your site is down, is there a way I could get a copy of it via email?

Thanks,
Pete

dcrainmaker's ravatar dcrainmaker    JOINED: 3/24/09    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 1/03/10 11:23 PM

Hi Pete-

I'm not aware of it being down. I'm overseas at the moment, but I'm able to access it. Though, I have had a few others mention it to me as well. I went ahead and cut down the number of posts displayed on the main page temporarily, as I think it was trying to load too many pictures. :-/

Here's a direct link to the 405 review:

http://dcrainmaker.blogspot.com/2008/10/garmin-forerunner-405-in-depth-review.html

As for GPS underwater, there are actually systems that do work today - though none yet adapted for athletic purposes. For example, research teams use GPS based pods to track larger animals. Actually sitting with a team at the moment doing whale sharks tracking.

jpanek    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 2/24/10 12:02 AM

GPS "underwater" is either intermittent (when the animal is surfaced) or a sonar ping from a nearby ship (which gets the actual GPS signal) that stamps the animal's data pod with the ship's nearby location. Maybe the whale shark basks on the surface and the pod is above water. But on your arm, swimming freestyle, absolutely no way a GPS signal can get there during most of your stroke.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria