Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Road bike vs. Tri bike for Columbia Half Iron?
CREATED: 01/18/10 by queequeg9800 REPLIES: 6
queequeg9800    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 21
Road bike vs. Tri bike for Columbia Half Iron?
POSTED: 1/18/10 9:59 PM

I'm signed up for the Half Full 70 in October. Looks like the 56 mile bike course covers some of the same terrain as the Columbia Triathlon in two loops. They haven't published an elevation but I'm guessing it's similarly hilly.

I'm trying to think ahead for base training and wondering if I should be planning to use a tri bike or stick with a road bike for that race. I haven't done the olympic distance Columbia Triathlon before. Anyone have experience with tri vs. road bike in Columbia?

Here is what they've published for the course map for the Half Full tri:
http://www.halffulltri.org/Assets/Ulman+Cancer+Fund+Digital+Assets/docs/Half+Full+Bike+Cue.pdf

Thanks!

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
RE: Road bike vs. Tri bike for Columbia Half Iron?
POSTED: 1/18/10 10:20 PM

I've ridden the Columbia course on both a road and a tri-bike. I don't think it's really that hilly a course and I think it's very reasonable to do it on a tri-bike. I am doing the HalfFull Triathlon in Columbia in October and I'm planning to do that on a tri-bike.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 1/19/10 9:04 AM

train 1 day on a road bike on the course and go back a week later and do it on a tri bike. that will give you the best answer you are looking for.

personally if i was in really good shape i would use the tri bike i have but if i wasn't feeling extremely fast i would use the road bike,but that is just what i would do.

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 301
POSTED: 1/19/10 9:21 AM

OMG- this road bike vs. tri bike debate never ends. The forum has a lot of posts on road vs. tri vs. road vs. tri...

Just ride what you're comfortable with and what you can afford. You have until October.

Half Full Tri folks did a preview of the bike course last weekend. They plan to do another informal course preview soon. I'll post on the forum next time around.

POSTED: 1/19/10 11:23 AM

If you have the option of using a road or a tri bike for Columbia, ride the tri bike. There are lots of flat stretches on the bike course where a tri bike will save you time over a road bike (assuming you are riding in the aerobars). There are a fair amount of hills at Columbia, but they are generally short. In fact, there are a lot of hills you can get about 2/3 of the way up without too much effort if you ride strong leading up to the hill. This is a course where it pays to ride it a few times before the race. Sean

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 616
POSTED: 1/19/10 5:57 PM

tri bike

queequeg9800    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 21
POSTED: 1/22/10 10:14 PM

Thanks so much, guys!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria