Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Civil War Century registration opens
CREATED: 04/11/11 by mosered REPLIES: 11
mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1770
Civil War Century registration opens
POSTED: 4/11/11 12:37 PM

Sept. 10, 2011. (Day before the Nation's Tri). $30. 103 miles, 6,000 ft of climb, goes through Gettysburg battlefield on 150th anniversary of start of war:

http://www.civilwarcentury.com/index.pl/cwc?noCache=393;1302467112

jameswilson's ravatar jameswilson    JOINED: 4/11/10    POSTS: 92
RE: Civil War Century registration opens
POSTED: 4/11/11 1:20 PM

I just registered! Only 1600 slots for the ride, so get in early if you plan on going. There are many distance options for the race, and at $30 it's really inexpensive. Great ride for those that aren't doing Nation's this year.

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 295
POSTED: 4/11/11 3:00 PM

In. If you haven't done this ride, it's one of the best in the region.

novasupra's ravatar novasupra    JOINED: 12/3/09    POSTS: 70
POSTED: 4/11/11 8:47 PM

Is this ride tri-bike friendly or do i need to dust off my 10 year old steel roadie?

jane456's ravatar jane456    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 69
POSTED: 4/12/11 10:04 AM

I did the 75 mile option last year and I believe that Civil War has the best rest stop food by far. When other centuries are giving you plain bagels and orange slices and stale, grocery store apple pie, Civil War Century is giving you what you really want: bags of Sunchips and delicious tomato sandwiches and fresh fruit from the orchard :) Mmmmm

Lindsey

POSTED: 4/14/11 2:40 PM

With tri bikes, or any bikes, I'd be careful coming down from the two mountains early on in the ride: there's some some sharp turns sprinkled by gravel, causing some crashes in the past.

The rest stop food is good, tho the water stops can be scarce near the end. It's good to take three water bottles for this event, especially  on a hot day.

Nice way to get in stiff workout, then vol for Nations Tri.

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 363
POSTED: 7/22/11 1:04 PM

Sold out :(

I'm thinking about doing the Indian Head Century (same day as nations Sun 9/11) it's about an hour away.

http://ohbike.org/century/index.htm

Has anyone done this before? Interested?

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 363
POSTED: 8/17/11 10:13 AM

Or if anyone is trying to get rid of their civil war registration I can take it.

pamela dot simmonds at gmail

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 8/17/11 10:32 AM

Wow - that was fast.

POSTED: 9/08/11 10:35 AM

Looks like a bunch from DCT are doing this. My group figures to be at the starting line c. 7-7:15 am. Will be wearing an orange Bike Virginia shirt.

POSTED: 9/09/11 1:50 PM

There was serious flooding in Gettysburg, PA on Thursday. But organizers say the event is a go. They are checking the conditions of the roads. Report that they may not be able to mark the course. Still, more than a half dozen of us are heading up there. Some are going without having registered, figuring there will be last-minute slots opening up.

POSTED: 9/09/11 1:51 PM

There was serious flooding in Gettysburg, PA on Thursday. But organizers say the event is a go. They are checking the conditions of the roads. Report that they may not be able to mark the course. Still, more than a half dozen of us are heading up there. Some are going without having registered, figuring there will be last-minute slots opening up.

Latest from organizers:

"CWC Update

Our folks are out checking the route now (and attempting to mark it). There has been intermittent drizzle and even some heavy rain.

As you all know, there has been much rain this week. Yesterday, some of our roads would have been blocked by flooding. An initial phone call to some local folks indicates that those roads were passable this morning.

The portion of the routes that we have examined and attempted to mark look OK and passable. Our volunteers are continuing to check the routes. It needs to be perfectly dry, and remain perfectly dry for awhile, to successfully mark the routes. Unfortunately, some of our route markings have already washed away, and it is raining now, which is hindering our marking attempts. Though we will continue our efforts, it will be necessary for you to use your cue sheets tomorrow. We will do our best to update you on the status of the marking when you check in tomorrow morning. So please ask if we don’t tell you!

As always, there are broken up sections of pavement at places (road maintenance issues are common this year). Specifically noted is an area about 1/4 mile past the Mt Aetna rest stop. Though we would normally attempt to paint a warning at these areas, as we have noted, it might not be possible due to the wet roads.

Needless-to-say, you will need to exercise extreme caution on the route. Conditions could change today and tonight - so even though we are looking at the route (and marking it) today, conditions could change. Please be careful. Be cautions everywhere, especially down hills and around corners.

Here is the current forecast (from The Weather Channel) for Thurmont, MD:

TODAY: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. High 76F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 50%.

TONIGHT: Scattered thunderstorms this evening followed by a few showers overnight. Low around 65F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 50%.

SATURDAY: Showers in the morning with isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 78F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

If we have any changes to the status of the event, we will send an EMAIL tonight to the EMAIL address we have on record for you (which is how this EMAIL was sent). Otherwise, we’ll be in Thurmont, awaiting tomorrow’s event.

Please drive and ride safely!

And please be a Courteous Cautious Cyclist!

Mary Menne
2011 CWC Chair"

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria