Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

HIP Baseline Tests
CREATED: 03/27/09 by ajlesser REPLIES: 39
ajlesser's ravatar ajlesser    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 10
HIP Baseline Tests
POSTED: 3/27/09 11:59 AM

I'll admit it, I peaked ahead to next week, since April's 1st week of workouts have been posted. Quick question about the baseline test.

Bike - Conduct a 30 minute time trial - as in, all out, standalone cycling time trial with no run followed?

Run - same thing All out 5k pace?

Are these baseline tests being used to determine our max HR/pace for each activity? Just want to be sure they are done correctly.

DuathlonFreak's ravatar DuathlonFreak    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 64
RE: HIP Baseline Tests
POSTED: 3/27/09 9:16 PM

In response to your question, each baseline test should be done as a standalone event, for the cycling test you need to warm up first for about 15-20 minutes then ride a time trial at the fastest pace you can maintain for 30 minutes. The next day (it doesn't matter if you switch days but do not do both tests on the same day), you'll do a run warmup for 10 to 15 minutes then start the 30 minute run. Its important that you run at a steady pace for 30 minutes after your warmup. Note the instructions in the plan for recording your distance, average HR and max HR over the final 20 minutes of the 30 minutes steady run. Yes, the 30 minutes should be at the fastest pace you can run for all 30 minutes.

Hope this clarifies things, if not please let us know.

Lawrence (sent on behalf of Coach Michele)

mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
POSTED: 3/30/09 10:02 PM

this may be a dumb question, but i really don't know where around here i can go all out for 30 minutes on the bike. any ideas, suggestions?

POSTED: 3/30/09 10:41 PM

Good question - and there aren't a lot of great answers. In our experience, the best place is Hains Point, and I suggest the short loop to avoid the turn around near Lincoln. Now, looking at the calendar this weekend there will be roughly 285,000 tourists looking at Cherry Blossoms in the vicinity of the tidal basin this weekend, with an extra 15,000 or so on Sunday morning running the Cherry Blossom 10 miler. So, being in the same boat with a tempo brick on my training plan for Nationals, I think the answer is to GO EARLY before the tourists get up. Perfect solution? no, but workable, I think so.

Even with a little slowing at the stop sign on Ohio Drive you should get a few solid & hard laps in at Hains for your 30 minute test. Good luck and I'll probably be out there myself riding tempo for an hour or two Saturday morning, unless my friends talk me into riding Mt. Weather for my brick.

Lawrence

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 3/30/09 10:47 PM

Mt. Weather brick?!? Lawrence - what are you on? And where can I get some?? ::%')::

POSTED: 3/31/09 7:08 AM

Another good spot might be McArthur Blvd heading down toward Great Falls. Its pretty flat the whole way and there are minimal stops to give you a least another option of riding 30 minutes. Only other place I can think of is Rock Creek Park since it is closed to car traffic.

janelkaye's ravatar janelkaye    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 36
POSTED: 3/31/09 10:19 PM

I admit that I don't have anything with a "lap button" or a heart rate monitor. Do we need those to do these or can we just do the old school heart rate check and total distance covered at the end?

Also, anyone interested in trying to do the bike around Hains Point Sat morning?
Any location ideas for the Sunday run since HP (and Rock Creek?) will be out of the question for the run?

POSTED: 3/31/09 10:29 PM

@ Sandy: Its my crazy inner duathlete. You can get some - just come out and race nationals this April!

POSTED: 4/01/09 8:15 AM

thanks, haines point sounds like the most logical place. i don't have no fancy gadgets either, so i'll be doing it the old fashioned way. when i pass out, i'll know i've reached my threshold. ha ha ha

POSTED: 4/02/09 1:35 PM

so does anyone want to get together saturday morning to do this evil test?

POSTED: 4/02/09 2:17 PM

^ I'd be up for that.

chad0022's ravatar chad0022    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 334
POSTED: 4/02/09 2:33 PM

Same here. I think if went for around a - dare I say - 7/8 am start, we should be okay for 30 minutes...

Plus my bike computer is broken so counting lap(s) is easiest for me

Amanda

POSTED: 4/02/09 2:42 PM

Ooh!! If you ladies aim for a 7am start, I'd be able to join you and still make it up to RCP in time for the NTP run at 8am (it will be a mini-brick of sorts ::;^|:: ) . Bonus - hopefully we'd be way ahead of the tourists at that time in the morning.

POSTED: 4/02/09 2:46 PM

7am would work for me. It would get it out of the way, and like Sandy said, be ahead of the tourists.

sacha204's ravatar sacha204    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 24
POSTED: 4/02/09 2:50 PM

I could do a 7am start. This is such a better option then on a trainer for sure... Now, i just have to try and not get lost (again) getting to HP. Sandy you come from MOCO right - what way do you go?
Add a little run and then head over to packet pick-up for CB and call it a day :)

POSTED: 4/02/09 2:57 PM

Sacha - I take 495 to GW Parkway. Then 395N towards DC - stay to the right, and right after you get off the 14th St bridge, you'll see signs right away for East Potomac Park on your right.

What parking lot are we meeting in?

ajulia's ravatar ajulia    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 145
POSTED: 4/02/09 2:58 PM

Ditto what Sandy said -- 7am would be perfect.

The sun will be up, and forecast says 50* and sunny.

POSTED: 4/02/09 3:36 PM

7 a.m., i'm IN! plus, someone can explain what exactly i'm doing.

i might even hang around to help the NTP-ers... i can point to which direction they should be running.

now, if only we had a barbecue thing happening...

kmwpro's ravatar kmwpro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 269
POSTED: 4/02/09 3:38 PM

Girls,

Can I join you? I will probably keep riding after the timing to get in a few more miles if anyone wants to ride some more. I'll be breaking in a new bike...

POSTED: 4/02/09 3:47 PM

7 am sounds good to me!

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria