DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

ChesapeakeMan event/course question
CREATED: 09/12/12 by zoom2zoom REPLIES: 3
zoom2zoom's ravatar zoom2zoom    JOINED: 5/5/10    POSTS: 72
ChesapeakeMan event/course question
POSTED: 9/12/12 7:46 AM

hi,

I just completed my first Triathlon at nations tri and like to participate in another upcomng event: Chesapeakman skipjack or bugeye.

Questions -

1. do most participant wear wetsuits due to water temp? or too cold to swim without one? ( i prefer not wearing one)

2. what is the general elevation for the bike course? compare to Nations Tri? this will determine if i will do the skipjack or bugeye

3. is bike course close or open to general traffic?

4. how is this course compare with Nations tri in general?

sorry to ask these questions, new to tri and need help so i can guage my next challenge.

thanks in advanced.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1270
RE: ChesapeakeMan event/course question
POSTED: 9/12/12 9:25 AM

1. do most participant wear wetsuits due to water temp? or too cold to swim without one? ( i prefer not wearing one)
>>> In some years, jellyfish are issues at the race. That's one of the factors on why folks elect to wear wetsuits at Chessyman. For the vast majority of triathlons, most triathletes wear wetsuits for the added speed and bouyancy, not because of the water temperature. That's not to say that temperature does not play a role, but for most triathlons, water temp isn't cold enough for that to be a major issue.

2. what is the general elevation for the bike course? compare to Nations Tri? this will determine if i will do the skipjack or bugeye
>>>> dead flat for the entire course. The wind will make you wish for some hills :)

3. is bike course close or open to general traffic?
>>> Open to general traffic, but the roads out there are very lightly traveled. Turns will have either volunteers, police, or both to help with traffic.

4. how is this course compare with Nations tri in general?
>>> dead flat on the run and bike. A lot more windy. No scenery, all countryside views. Swim can be more rough. It's not as protected as the Potomac swim course.

Tuan

mjraugust's ravatar mjraugust    JOINED: 12/15/11    POSTS: 96
POSTED: 5/15/13 11:17 AM

Just to make sure I am reading that right Chesapeakeman's IM bike course is super flat? I am thinking about the Aquavelo.

-Mark

Hutchings's ravatar Hutchings    JOINED: 11/1/10    POSTS: 11
POSTED: 5/15/13 1:08 PM

It is a super flat course around and through the Blackwater Refuge. Some of the roads are the same as Eagleman. I did the Aquavelo a few years ago but I don't think the course changed. There are no hills in Cambridge, just various degrees of wind. Jellyfish can be a problem. It was not my year. Via google, I found a website to monitor the status of the jellyfish on a daily basis.

Cindy

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria