Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next Page

Sat Morning Indoor Sessions at Conte's
CREATED: 01/02/11 by pgfde121 REPLIES: 136
seewhatucando's ravatar seewhatucando    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 114
RE: Sat Morning Indoor Sessions at Conte's
POSTED: 1/04/11 1:48 PM

I would also like to be on the waiting list for Sat.
Thanks!
Lynn

amacos's ravatar amacos    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 157
POSTED: 1/04/11 3:03 PM

Excellent idea. Ryan, perhaps we can contact the Walter Reed Center where we have the mtgs. This would be a great location. Let's talk tonight and see other options where we can have trainings with more people (Sat & Sun).

#3 on the WL!

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 1/05/11 9:34 AM

This is my first official post as the 2011 Training Coordinator!

In an effort to be as fair as possible, there will be an attendance policy for these incredibly popular sessions. This is a "one strike" policy: if you RSVP for a session and do not attend, you will be excluded from all future sessions. I will monitor the RSVPs, cancellations, and the wait list and post a final class list at noon on Fridays. If you must cancel an RSVP, you have until noon on Friday to do so to avoid future exclusion. Ron will take attendance on Saturdays.

For the first session, we will use the RSVPs and wait list from this thread. For subsequent sessions, Ron will hand out a signup sheet at the end of each class. On Monday, either he or I will post the list of attendees and the number of spaces available for the following Saturday's class, at which time people can RSVP for the remaining spaces.

We will consider exceptions to the exclusion policy, but you'll need a really, really, really good reason. Alarm clock failure and "I meant to cancel but I forgot" definitely won't count.

Please understand that this policy is not being implemented to make your life difficult! It would be unfortunate if a bunch of people RSVPed and took up spaces and then didn't show up when others who really wanted to attend but got shut out could have been there. The Board is looking into other options so that as many people as possible can participate.

Please reply or e-mail me with questions. I don't yet receive the e-mails that go to training@dctriclub.org, so please feel free to use my personal address, abby.sanford19 at yahoo.com.

Cheers,

Abby Sanford

berlz13's ravatar berlz13    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 38
POSTED: 1/05/11 10:25 AM

I had something come up so I need to take my name off the list
so I think that give it +19 and the first waiting list person is in

Enjoy!

SeanG's ravatar SeanG    JOINED: 4/8/09    POSTS: 159
POSTED: 1/05/11 10:28 AM

I'll go ahead and put myself on the waiting list, which I believe makes me WAIT +3, in light of the recent drop out.

POSTED: 1/05/11 10:41 AM

Just to clarify where we are starting.... I'll post the current list and wait list. I'm sorry I don't know everyone's full names. I will learn!

Expected to attend: 1/8/11
1 Courtney Fulton
2 Toby Mandel
3 Sarah
4 Glenn Elliot
5 Mark
6 Alex
7 Brad
8 Trisha
9 Justin Nunez
10 Emily
11 Pam Simmonds
12 Julie Kennedy
13 Jason
14 Piyush Aggarwala
15 Steve
16 Ed Moser
17 Tammy
18 Liz Bolton
19 Lindy
20 Ron Benedict

Wait List
1 Lynn
2 Adriana Anderson
3 Sean G.

pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 225
POSTED: 1/05/11 11:11 AM

For those of you who cannot make a given session, it is critically important that you follow the program, which builds on itself each week. If you skip the first 2-3 weeks and come in week 4 and haven't been riding, you are going to die out quickly. There, I said it. Thats not to scare anyone as everyone who starts is capable of finishing this program, but consider yourself forewarned.

If you attend the sessions and then take the rest of the week off, you will get behind quickly as well. The key component here is that you are riding this program twice per week, once on Sat, and again on Tues/Weds to allow for adequate recovery.

The workout will be based off the results of your individual field test in week 2, so when we are working at 70% of our LT, Mark will be at 70% of his LT, and I will be at 70% of my LT. It doesn't matter if the numbers are different or what the actual number is, the program is designed to make you improve YOUR performance.

The first 5 weeks will focus on endurance base building and interval work, gradually bringing on the harder intervals to work around LT levels. I'm assuming we're all starting with a minimum base of having maintained some form of fitness, even if its not cycling cardio.

Weeks 7-9, will focus on development of the LT power, and expanding VO2 max development. Week 6 will be a recovery week, and Week 10 will be a redo of the LT field test to see what types of gains we've made.

The basic program follows on this google document:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AhPe9nmGPFSudDY1eDN1YkZNSmRtN1NDQi1NMTROUFE&hl=en&authkey=CL7J88ML

You'll notice there are tabs within the document (like a normal spreadsheet) which will contain each weeks workout in an elapsed time format. Easiest to print these off for home use. I'll also try to print those off for the sessions.

Any questions please let me know.

KingsPoint2001's ravatar KingsPoint2001    JOINED: 11/2/09    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 1/05/11 11:29 AM

Thanks for posting the workout. Have two questions:

1. Will we be getting directions on how to do the threshold test from home if we're not at the 2nd session?

2. Can you tell us how you calculate your "Zones"? Everytime I read stuff on zone training, I see different calculations and number of zones.

Thanks,
Pete

RJohnson1979's ravatar RJohnson1979    JOINED: 9/13/09    POSTS: 81
POSTED: 1/05/11 11:32 AM

+4 on the waitlist if possible

This program looks awesome.

Thanks,
Ryan

POSTED: 1/05/11 11:40 AM

Certainly! I'll be posting the other workouts for each week early in the week and will post directions for the LT test as well.

For the first session we won't have solid values so will have to use a relative perceived exertion (RPE) scale of 1-10. With 7/8 being the LT level. Here are the results of my field test along with the RPE values so you can estimate where yours would be.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AhPe9nmGPFSudHJZTjJLVVNpbVl5MzR2blhtVGdPWWc&hl=en&authkey=CKzZ1dcI
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AhPe9nmGPFSudGhWTXh2dm9FVmxxMGJUclR5c29oa1E&hl=en&authkey=CJGUqPUI

POSTED: 1/05/11 1:05 PM

Field Test Protocol:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/173YIC3I9NXr0Qt6WothEMeR2HDUNpXe92hyrQV6jBlw/edit?authkey=CP_n26wD&hl=en#

Once we've completed the HR field test, I'd suggest reading this document so you know how to use your zones. For those unfamiliar with Heart Rate training, Lactate Thresholds, etc. the following document should be helpful. Its a good easy read to help understand why we should train at certain levels and how it impacts our performance:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Xo5fl2dygoSOD1cuGGzARn2TCmW2T-YvlpJqPH7wXqc/edit?hl=en&authkey=CM-t5ecL#

And finally, this is your personal HR zone calculator. There is much discussion involving whether a 4 zone system is better than a 5 zone system versus a 5 zone with subzone system. Needless to say, it can be confusing and not necessary for most age group athlete would need. Certainly you are welcome to play around if you like, but for those who want a basic proven program, you can use these values. Note this is a google document but you have to download it as a MS spreadsheet.

The only cells you'll need to change are:
B3- You'll put your average HR from the field test here
B7- Use the formula from A7 to calculate your value
Everything else will auto update, including the cheat sheet which is the second tab on the spreadsheet. Helpful to print that out and laminate it so your sweat doesn't ruin it.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxPe9nmGPFSuY2UzMzk4NDktYTZlNi00M2VmLTg5NzQtZmIyMjExMjQ3YzFi&authkey=CPm2gdQN&hl=en

As I've mentioned, I'm don't know everything there is to know, so if anyone else has useful articles on HR training that you feel would benefit the group, please feel free to post.

POSTED: 1/06/11 8:16 AM

So that you can be prepared to attend on Saturday if the opportunity arises, here is an updated wait list for Saturday, January 8:

1) Adriana Anderson
2) Sean G
3) Ellen Wexler
4) Ryan Johnson

Thank you everyone for cancelling your RSVPs when you know you can't make it. Your fellow club members who get to attend appreciate it!!

I'm still looking into other options with Revolution Cycles and will update everyone as soon as possible.

Hopefully I'll see many of you tonight at the holiday party!

Cheers,
Abby

piyushdabomb    JOINED: 5/10/10    POSTS: 84
POSTED: 1/06/11 4:34 PM

1) Is there a specific date/time (ET) when the new roster is going to be up on a weekly basis or does it vary based on the Saturday ride turnout?

2) Other than bringing my bike, are there any other prep-work requirements that we should do?

3) I have a Garmin 405 + HRM. Will that work for the class? I was hoping not to pay for another monitor. The only problem with using a Garmin 405 and indoor trainer is that I can't track distance.

4) To your first message, I don't see a "cost" per class. Is there a cost to attend these sessions?

In advance, apologies if my questions are already answered. Let me know.

Thanks.

POSTED: 1/06/11 5:37 PM

Start time will change to 730AM since we have to be wrapped up by 930AM, and we really need two hours for the rides. Note that 730 is the start of the ride, so please show up at 715 to get set up.

I stopped by Conte's this evening to be sure everything was okay with them and to ensure someone would be around to open the shop. Clovis will move the clothing racks to the side for us, however, we have to be wrapped up and have the trainers moving out the door at 930 so they can open on time.

NOTE THAT MEANS YOUR BIKE AND YOUR TRAINER HAVE TO BE MOVING OUT THE DOOR BY 930. So immediately after the ride please make sure that happens. Once we get that out of the way we can hang around and chat or shop, but they need to open on time.

As for questions above, Abby will be posting the list, so she'll have to rspond to #1. #2 was answered in the thread of what to bring so please check that so I don't miss anything here. #3 No need for another HRM, any make/model will suffice so long as you can read it. #4 I accept blood sweat and tears as payment.

See you all Sat @715

alex's ravatar alex    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 1/07/11 7:40 AM

I now can't make the session on Saturday morning so Adriana Aplease feel free to take my lot.

Thanks

Alex

POSTED: 1/07/11 11:09 AM

We'll be on the carpeted section of the floor so please make sure you have a larger towel to place beneath your bike.

You'll also need to bring your own trainer, your bike with the appropriate metal skewer, multiple water bottles, towels for yourself, heart rate monitor, and a post ride snack. A few people have mentioned getting brunch afterwards. Bruggers bagel shop is across the street just FYI.

Also, you should consider some type of bandana/sweat band/hat to wear. Indoors there is so wind to blow the sweat out of your face, so it just drips down your face and can make indoor training feel less comfortable.

715AM doors open, 730 Ride Starts

sbwishart    JOINED: 12/12/10    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 1/07/11 11:23 AM

Someone can take my spot for tomorrow's training. I thought I would be able to ride again by now, but I'm back in the aircast. Ligament injuries take far too long to heal!

Thanks everyone and have a great time!

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 345
POSTED: 1/07/11 11:25 AM

Does anyone have an extra rear skewer I can borrow for tomorrow? I'm borrowing a trainer and didn't get one. Not sure I'll have time to stop at a store today...

pamela dot simmonds at gmail

Thanks!

POSTED: 1/07/11 11:29 AM

Assuming the trainer fits a standard skewer I have an extra you can borrow. I'll put it on my list.

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 345
POSTED: 1/07/11 11:34 AM

Thanks!

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria