Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

Placid! - our official Placid coordination thread
CREATED: 07/17/13 by afava REPLIES: 62
ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1064
RE: Placid! - our official Placid coordination thread
POSTED: 7/21/13 9:54 AM

In, and looking forward to racing with everyone, plus my IM retirement party on Monday (unless Boulder is still open). Main goal is to have FUN! Ferguson, if you're looking for company, count me in.

Hugh

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 462
POSTED: 7/22/13 8:57 AM

Swim FAQs posted on the Ironman Lake Placid site. The Lake Placid swim start is lightly different than CdA:

How will the self-seeding line be organized?
Volunteers will display signs arranged according to anticipated swim finish times. Athletes should seed themselves accurately, with the fastest swimmers starting first. THERE IS NO ADVANTAGE TO LINING UP EARLY! PLEASE SEED YOURSELF ACCURATELY FOR THE MOST ENJOYABLE SWIM EXPERIENCE. All athletes will have at least 2 hours and 20 minutes to complete the swim course. The swim course will close 2 hours and 20 minutes after the final Age Group athlete enters the water under the swim start arch. The self-seeding area will begin on the beach and extend back toward the playground and tennis courts. Estimated swim finish time grouping will be organized as follows:

? 60 minutes and under
? 1 hour and 1 minute to 1 hour and 10 minutes
? 1 hour and 11 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes
? 1hour and 21 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes
? 1 hour and 31 minutes to 1 hour and 45 minutes
? 1 hour and 46 minutes to 2 hours
? 2 hours and 1 minute to 2 hours and 20 minutes

What happens if the water temperature is higher than 76.1 degrees F, but lower than 83.9 degrees F?
The race becomes a non-wetsuit legal swim. Athletes have the option to participate with a wetsuit, but they will not be eligible for any awards or IRONMAN World Championship slots. Those athletes racing without a wetsuit will seed according to the established swim finish time groups and start first. Those athletes participating with a wetsuit will seed according to the established swim finish time groups and will start after all of the non-wetsuit athletes have entered the water.

astolz1's ravatar astolz1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 547
POSTED: 7/22/13 2:00 PM

Can't believe IMLP is already here!
Here's a map of where Tent City is located.
The two DC Tri Club tents are spots 8 and 9.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1068
POSTED: 7/22/13 3:53 PM

I'll bring the keg to tent city. It's a long day for the spectators and we'll need hydration.

Question: Should I submit the receipt to Patrick or how does reimbursement for the essential nutrition item work?

I'm kidding but only a little. Seriously, if you want a non-racer to set them up, let me know. Will be awesome having the tent there.

JayC101's ravatar JayC101    JOINED: 2/27/11    POSTS: 105
POSTED: 7/23/13 8:14 AM

In.

adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
POSTED: 7/23/13 9:06 AM

I'm in too! Elaine, I wear the tri kit for the entire race, but lots of people change into running clothes. It is whatever you feel comfortable in. Maybe put a change of cloths in the T2 bag and make a game day decision depending on weather and grossness.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 983
POSTED: 7/23/13 12:26 PM

ARGH. This all really makes me wish I was heading up there this weekend to cheer people on. :(

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
POSTED: 7/23/13 9:31 PM

Sis, brother in law and I are going white water rafting on Tuesday, July 30th. Come join us - the more the merrier! Contact Adirondack Rafting and join the McPheeters-Farmer boat.
www.lakeplacidrafting.com

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 366
POSTED: 7/24/13 10:30 AM

I will be there ... and I'm planning on just changing out my shorts and socks (as needed) between the swim/bike/run.

Bryan - Come up!

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1786
RE: Placid! - our official Placid
POSTED: 7/24/13 6:18 PM

Yeah, Bryan, you'll be welcome--especially if you bring a case of your Austrian beer.

Btw, dumb question: are there any 7-11-like stores on the bike course for informal rest stops? (Hoping to do the course on Sat.)

(& the swim course Fri, & reverse walk part of run course Sun, and likely a bike loop Mon.)

HolliMarie's ravatar HolliMarie    JOINED: 6/21/11    POSTS: 205
POSTED: 7/24/13 8:00 PM

Ed - there are a couple places to stop. About 30 miles in if you go a little past the first out and back turn around there is a gas-station/market. This is a pretty good stop (if you do the outback). There are also a couple small markets in Wilmington (miles 45ish, after the 2nd out and back). There's also in A&W shortly before the 3 bears.

I plan on riding 1 loop of the course Saturday AM and swimming in Mirror Lake with every opportunity I possibly get (hopefully late Friday afternoon, possibly Saturday, and early Monday morning). See y'all in Placid!

POSTED: 7/24/13 10:01 PM

Hey, is there anyone looking to drive or ride along to preview the bike course either Thursday or Friday. Post a reply.

kajlau's ravatar kajlau    JOINED: 7/10/10    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 7/25/13 8:06 PM

Hugh, I will probably drive the bike loop tomorrow (Friday). Let me know if you (...or anyone else) want to join.

Kaj

astolz1's ravatar astolz1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 547
POSTED: 7/25/13 10:07 PM

Just wanted to remind everyone about the 9am meet up swim at the south end of the lake tomorrow.

POSTED: 7/25/13 10:18 PM

Anyone up for an afternoon swim at 3PM. I look to be there to test out my goggles.

Hugh

ppannett's ravatar ppannett    JOINED: 3/8/11    POSTS: 32
POSTED: 7/25/13 10:50 PM

Kaj/Hugh,

Was planning to drive the bike course tomorrow too, but likely not in LP from our hotel until close to 10. What time were you thinking?

Cheers! Patrick P

kajlau's ravatar kajlau    JOINED: 7/10/10    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 7/26/13 6:51 AM

Patrick... I was thinking afternoon. 1 or 2 PM. I have a car. Shoot be an e-mail; ksl at mil dot dk

Kaj

AllisonLN's ravatar AllisonLN    JOINED: 1/18/12    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 7/26/13 6:17 PM

I'm looking to do 1loop of the bike course Saturday morning and am hoping for company. Is anyone interested in going out on the early side? I'll be around 15-18mph.

seewhatucando's ravatar seewhatucando    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 117
POSTED: 7/26/13 6:27 PM

Allison, just from talking to various people it seems like there are quite a few people planning on doing the bike course starting around 7:30 tomorrow AM.

AllisonLN's ravatar AllisonLN    JOINED: 1/18/12    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 7/26/13 6:50 PM

Thanks! Where are folks planning to meet?

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria