Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next Page

Thursday Morning Poursuivant @ Hains Point
CREATED: 03/12/12 by abbyjs REPLIES: 136
mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1773
RE: Thursday Morning Poursuivant @ Hains Point
POSTED: 3/14/12 6:30 AM

80 degrees, cloudless, no wind late this afternoon. Wonder where I'll be again?

aebauer's ravatar aebauer    JOINED: 12/5/11    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 3/20/12 8:09 AM

Hey y'all! Are you going out this Thursday? (March 22)

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 3/20/12 8:31 AM

You bet we are! This Thursday will be the first ride of the TMP. It's still fairly dark out in the morning, so please bring lights if you have them. The plan will be to clip in at 6:30 AM for a 75-minute workout. I am still sorting through options for a good first workout.

I will plan to be at the tennis courts parking lot 10 minutes early (6:20 AM) for this first outing so that folks can recognize me and we can chat a quick second before getting going. I will always wear DC Tri gear for TMP rides. I will be riding my tri bike, a black and red Cervelo P3.

To reiterate: I will post a zone- and time-based workout, and I will be working in my own LT zones. I recognize that there will be a variety of fitness/speeds represented, and I want everyone to feel confident about joining even if you can't keep up (at first) and have to complete the workout on your own.

The only way to get faster is to train hard and push yourself to ride with faster people! I won't claim that I will be the fastest one out there (especially if Olwen or AJ show up), but I will be pushing myself. If I get dropped, I will keep at it, too. In fact, Hains Point is a great place to GET dropped, because you definitely won't get lost.

Let's start the chase!

See you Thursday,
Abby

POSTED: 3/21/12 3:13 PM

At 6:30 tomorrow morning we will clip in!

Warm up: one long loop --15 minutes ish
Workout: 4x:
Zone 3 Gate to Point
Zone 4 Point to Stop sign
Recovery stop sign to gate --40 minutes ish
Cool Down: one long loop --15 minutes ish

See you there!

--Abby

POSTED: 3/28/12 12:02 PM

It's goign to be a bit chilly tomorrow morning, so be sure to wear your sleeves and gloves and perhaps knee warmers. I know I will!

Starting at the lamppost in the tennis courts at 6:30!

Workout:
Long loop warm up (15ish min)
Short loop #1 and #1: 3 min hard-2min recovery-3 min hard (should get us from gate to stop sign); recover between gate and stop sign
Short loop #2 and #4: Zone 3 to the point, Zone 4 point to gate; recover between gate and stop sign (40ish min)
Long loop cool down (15ish)
Additional short loops for anyone who has time--

See you there!

Abby

wbdowntown's ravatar wbdowntown    JOINED: 3/28/12    POSTS: 97
POSTED: 3/28/12 2:35 PM

New to the Tri club and looking to come out for the Thrs AM ride (29 Mar). Does anyone drive or is there somewhere to lock up my commuter bag?

Cheers,
Wes

POSTED: 3/28/12 2:48 PM

Hi Wes! I do not drive, but one or two did last week. You could potentially lock your bag to a fence, but I can't promise anything about that...

Hope you can still make it!
Abby

JayC101's ravatar JayC101    JOINED: 2/27/11    POSTS: 105
POSTED: 3/28/12 2:56 PM

Hey Wes, I will likely be driving down so you can throw your bag in my car if need be.

pmart15's ravatar pmart15    JOINED: 12/14/09    POSTS: 129
POSTED: 3/28/12 3:00 PM

I "plan" on showing up and driving. "Hopefully", I make it on-time and if I do I can lock your bag up in my car. I plan on staying until about 7:45 a.m.

POSTED: 3/28/12 3:15 PM

Cool, that would be great. I need to bug out by 0730 to get to work. Look forward to it.

Cheers,
Wes

POSTED: 3/29/12 12:48 PM

Great workout this morning Abby, thanks!
Cheers,
Wes

dmiller2021's ravatar dmiller2021    JOINED: 3/29/12    POSTS: 24
POSTED: 3/29/12 1:06 PM

Hey Abby,
Was wondering what time this group ride starts out at Haines Point, and where at Haines Point?

I am an intermediate to advanced rider, and my average pace varies from 19-22 MPH. Looking forward to it, and hearing back from you!

My e-mail is Davidmiller2021@gmail.com

Thanks,

David Miller

POSTED: 3/29/12 10:05 PM

Whew, what a ride this morning. It's a bit silly to comment on the wind at Hains Point, but holy moley... that back stretch was killer today.

Sorry if the workout was confusing to anyone--I was alternating the laps to make it interesting. I will keep it simple next week.

Great turnout! Great workout! Thanks for coming, all.

David: 19-22 is just our speed (by my Garmin, we hit a high of 26 today with the tailwind and with the headwind... let's just say it was still Zone 4 even though we were crawling). Join us next week! I will post the workout here.

We meet at the lamppost near the tennis courts and for now we are rolling out at 6:30 AM (by my phone). When it gets lighter and as I get closer to EagleMan, I will be rolling back to 6:15 and doing a slightly longer workout. For now we are doing about 65-70 minutes with about 40 minutes of speed work.

Just as an FYI... I also got to Hillary Cairns track workouts at Galludet on Wednesday morning (5:45), and I swim at Eastern Market (mostly on my own) on Friday mornings... in case you need to train other sports, too.

--Abby

POSTED: 3/29/12 10:08 PM

Whew, what a ride this morning. It's a bit silly to comment on the wind at Hains Point, but holy moley... that back stretch was killer today.

Sorry if the workout was confusing to anyone--I was alternating the laps to make it interesting. I will keep it simple next week.

Great turnout! Great workout! Thanks for coming, all.

David: 19-22 is just our speed (by my Garmin, we hit a high of 26 today with the tailwind and with the headwind... let's just say it was still Zone 4 even though we were crawling). Join us next week! I will post the workout here.

We meet at the lamppost near the tennis courts and for now we are rolling out at 6:30 AM (by my phone). When it gets lighter and as I get closer to EagleMan, I will be rolling back to 6:15 and doing a slightly longer workout. For now we are doing about 65-70 minutes with about 40 minutes of speed work.

Just as an FYI... I also got to Hillary Cairns track workouts at Galludet on Wednesday morning (5:45), and I swim at Eastern Market (mostly on my own) on Friday mornings... in case you need to train other sports, too.

--Abby

POSTED: 4/02/12 2:18 PM

Hey gang,

Just a heads up that Abby has a firm lower threshold on temps for riding outside. I will be closely watching this week's weather and making a decision on Wednesday evening.

Unfortunately I suffer from Raynaud's Syndrome and my hands and feet go numb if I get too cold. Not so good for functioning brakes.

I will post a workout and encourage you all to go, but I may have to keep it indoors if it's below 50.

Thanks for understanding!
--Abby

POSTED: 4/04/12 8:41 AM

Gang,

I just wanted to give you a heads up that I'm going to have to keep it indoors tomorrow. Predictions are anywhere from 42 to 47 at 6 AM, and it's too risky for me. I will be out of commission for hours if my core temp gets too low.

If you can hack it, by all means, get out there! Do folks need a workout? I can post one if you are going.

So sorry!

Abby

POSTED: 4/04/12 2:37 PM

Hey Abby,
Sorry to hear you won't be making it out this week, but totally understandable..

Is anyone riding or willing to hack it out in this cold weather tomorrow morning?? let me know, since I would love to ride.

Abby, Would you mind posting a workout? If anything, I plan on riding tomorrow morning, and would love to have a workout planned if possible.

looking forward on riding and meeting you all next Thursday!

David Miller

KevinK's ravatar KevinK    JOINED: 3/1/12    POSTS: 4
POSTED: 4/04/12 3:43 PM

David,
I plan on being there thursday morning.

Kevin Kropp

POSTED: 4/04/12 4:24 PM

Here you go! Try this:

Warm-up for 15 minutes, one long loop.
Short loop #1: 2 x 4:00 building to zone 4, recover 2 minutes after each.
Short loop #2: 2 x 4:00 building to zone 4, shifting between your comfortable gear and the next higher gear every 30 seconds. Recover for 2 minutes after each.
Short loop #3 & #4: Zone 3 gate to stop sign, Zone 2 stop sign to gate.
Cool down one long loop.

Happy riding!

See you next week: don't forget the member meeting is next Thursday evening!

--Abby

POSTED: 4/04/12 7:48 PM

Kevin, what time are you planning on riding tomorrow morning?
wouldnt mind having someone to do this workout with..

6 or 7?

please let me know!

Thanks,

David Miller

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria