Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

"gentlemen, we can rebuild him… better… faster… stronger…" (new to tris/ post recovery)
CREATED: 09/25/10 by jdchristopher REPLIES: 6
jdchristopher's ravatar jdchristopher    JOINED: 9/22/10    POSTS: 23
"gentlemen, we can rebuild him… better… faster… stronger…" (new to tris/ post recovery)
POSTED: 9/25/10 6:31 PM

first off, writing an intro paragraph about myself for a 2"x4" piece of real estate on the internet reminds me of the awkwardness of high school yearbooks. you gotta be brief, to the point, yet informative and hopefully a little witty. this intro will probably be none of those, but at least i know what it should be...

anywhoo, i'm a complete newbie and am looking to gain some valuable mentoring and experience from this club. i realize it's all about give and take, and i believe i have enough knowledge to be useful to some people in this club, but good luck on trying to figure out who those people would be...!

background:
i've been a competitive swimmer since i was in grade school. i was a varsity athlete and hoped to do something with my talent one day. that day may still come, but i took a bit of a detour. you see, a few years back i was in a car accident. i won't go into the drama of the whole thing, but we'll just say i had a few months of playing "dr. house"-- complete with pain killers and groovy walking cane. after quite a bit of physical therapy, i decided to get active again. it was really just to say "screw you" to the doctors who said i'd never swim or run competitively again. nothing motivates me more than being told i can't do something. p90x, insanity, crossfit.. i've been through a gambit of routines to get back into my pre-accident shape. i'm almost there. and i think training for triathlons will be the final push i need...

i recently ran a cross country 5k, complete with obstacles (jumping over fire included, as seen in my profile pic). i forgot how much i loved competing in races. i'm a decent runner (relatively uneducated in terms of steps per minute and all that jazz) and swimming is by far my strongest talent. let's not talk about biking quite yet, unless you want to see a grown man make a total fool of himself...

goals:
just general fitness. get better with every day/week/month/year. never age. you know.. the usual.

o, yeah.. and.. like... complete a triathlon. that'd make sense considering this club and everything.

dupont/logan circle area. i'll gladly run/swim with anybody in the area-- the ymca is only a few blocks from me.. if i can get somebody to help me out on biking (patience will be needed), that'd be cool, too.

alright. this wasn't short or sweet. ::;^d::
but, it's an intro. and that's what this was supposed to be.

let the fun begin. ::8^)::

--jason

DSmith's ravatar DSmith    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 27
RE: "gentlemen, we can rebuild him… better… faster… stronger…" (new to tris/ post recovery)
POSTED: 9/27/10 9:09 PM

Welcome! I'm in the Dupont area as well and usually swim at Marie Reed. If you are ever up this way, let me know (I could use the help)! Also, be sure to come to the neighborhood happy hours! Good luck!

Dirk

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 897
RE: "gentlemen, we can rebuild him… better… faster… stronger…" (new to tris/ post recovery)
POSTED: 9/28/10 10:01 AM

First off, like Dirk said, welcome to the club.

It sounds like you're new to triathlons (with a swimming background) so one thing you might want to consider is the club's New Triathlete Program (NTP). We put it on every year and a new class will be starting up in January (only 4 months away). You can find more general information about the program here. The information is relevant to this past year's program in 2010, but the basic details are there. We're only beginning to plan for next year so information for 2011 will be up toward the end of the year.

Bryan

ktuinstra's ravatar ktuinstra    JOINED: 5/4/09    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 9/29/10 9:29 AM

I live in the Dupont area as well and would like to have a swimming/biking partner to keep me motivated through the winter. I usually swim at the Wilson Aquatic Center in the evenings and go for longer rides on the weekends if you're interested.

POSTED: 9/30/10 11:52 AM

excellent.. a few things..

1) neighborhood happy hours?? where, when? i am a firm believer in carbing-up before any heavy training.. ::;')::

2) there were two pools suggested.. what are people's preferences? the Y is rather expensive for one day, so i'm open to all other options.

@bcfrank-- the NTP was actually one of the things that sold me on this club.. as soon as registration is open, i'll jump on that as i think it would be silly to ignore such a fantastic opportunity. i plan on being a sponge and soak up all the information i can from anybody and everybody...

@ktuinstra-- i'm game for the swimming, once my work schedule simmers down in a few weeks. my biking.. well, that'll need some work and i'd feel bad for anybody who goes on a ride with me until i get more comfortable on two wheels..

@dmsith-- likewise, totally up for swimming in a couple of weeks. but do tell more about hh...

DSmith's ravatar DSmith    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 27
POSTED: 10/06/10 8:17 AM

Here's the information for this week's HH!

NW / Bethesda Regional HH will combine at Cleveland Park Bar and Grill Thurs, Oct 7 at 6:30 pm. CP is a good time for our club - hope you are excited to return there. http://www.cpbargrill.com/

POSTED: 10/17/10 9:44 PM

gar, i was out of town for the past week... i saw in the weekly email, though, that there's a club-wide HH this week... sounds like a chance for me carb up during training! ;)

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria