Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

First time triathlon!
CREATED: 01/03/11 by PSUDeb REPLIES: 8
PSUDeb's ravatar PSUDeb    JOINED: 12/31/10    POSTS: 14
First time triathlon!
POSTED: 1/03/11 12:18 PM

Just wanted to introduce myself...I recently signed up for my first tri and I am so excited! Now I just need to remember how to swim and I'll be all set to go! :)

I've been a runner for as long as I can remember, then picked up rowing in college and continued with that for the last 10 years, and now I'm ready to try something new! I'm brand new to biking, and have already fallen about half a dozen time with those clipless pedals, fortunately only one of those times were there any witnesses! I used to swim back in high school, and I have to admit I didn't think it would be nearly as hard to get back into as it has been! Needless to say I have my work cut out for me!

Anyways, if there is anyone in the old town area who would be interested in meeting up for some runs or rides let me know!

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
RE: First time triathlon!
POSTED: 1/03/11 12:30 PM

First- Welcome aboard.

Second - I highly recommend the New Triathlete Program (NTP). You can find it on the main page. They answered a boat load of questions for me when I was an NTPer a couple of years ago. Also, a great opportunity to meet club members, if you want.

Third, if you knew how to swim in high school, you are already ahead of most of us.

POSTED: 1/03/11 12:39 PM

Thanks! I was actually planning on signing up for NTP. I can use all the help I can get! Plus I'd love to meet some fellow newbies in the area!

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1061
POSTED: 1/03/11 12:54 PM

Welcome!

We'd love to see you in NTP! I got started in NTP about 6 years ago and have been involved with it in one way or another every year since. It's an excellent way to get introduced to triathlon and meet a great group of people. Which race did you sign up for?

We are having our annual holiday party this Thursday at McFadden's starting ~6:30. We'll be downstairs in the back room behind the bar. If you're free, stop by and introduce yourself to anyone and let them know you're new to the club and we'll take care of you.

And on a side note, once you get the hang of the pedals, I think you'll be great at triathlon. With 10 years of rowing experience, your cardio system is more than primed to get you across the finish line!

Travis

lizard151    JOINED: 5/8/09    POSTS: 17
POSTED: 1/03/11 2:01 PM

I did NTP last year and definitely second (third?) the recommendation. And I'm in Old Town and would love to get together for some rides now and runs later (I'm recovering from a stress fracture--that's what I get for sticking with the marathon). Send me an email if you're interested!
Liz

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 1/03/11 2:33 PM

if you are in old town hit up pacers there on king street, they have a fun run on tues and thurs at 7pm and its a good turnout of runners and some local triathletes and some are in the dc tri club.

welcome and enjoy the sport and the club.

peeps1076's ravatar peeps1076    JOINED: 11/10/09    POSTS: 24
POSTED: 1/03/11 7:19 PM

can anyone who has done the old town pacers run compare it to the clarendon run? I regularly run clarendon and love the hill work but was thinking about a change...

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 1/04/11 9:57 AM

Hi - I am in old town and regularly swim at Chinquapin. I always wear my daughter's swim cap (bc she doesn't like it) from her swim team - Potomac Marlins. I am usually there on Tues or Thurs night @7p when my daughter swims and Sundays at noon (not this Sun as my daughter has a swim meet). I run whenever I can and usually a long run on Saturday or Sunday - but you are likely much faster than I am. Biking is mostly indoors for the winter bc I hate the cold. My email is clarebearcolburn@yahoo.com.

I will be doing the 10 miler with DC Roadrunners this weekend and the 20K the following also with DC Roadrunners.

Also - check out the High Cloud 1/2 m on 1-29 where many DC Tri folks are likely to be.

Maureen

POSTED: 1/04/11 12:14 PM

Wow, thanks everyone for the responses! Liz I would definately be up for going for a ride sometime, that sucks about the stress fracture, I hope it heals up fast! :)

I've been meaning to try out the Pacers runs, I work just two blocks away from there so I really have no excuse to not go! Maureen, I would also be up for meeting up for some runs. It's always easier to head out and do it when you know someone is waiting for you!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria