Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Race Report: AFLAC Columbia Iron Girl Triathlon
CREATED: 08/24/09 by ppgodes REPLIES: 2
ppgodes's ravatar ppgodes    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 83
Race Report: AFLAC Columbia Iron Girl Triathlon
POSTED: 8/24/09 3:33 PM

Just did the Iron Girl yesterday in Columbia Maryland with 2,400 other women.

If you're female (sorry guys...only for us gals), it is a race worth doing.

It closes FAST - usually, the first day. Opening for the 2010 Iron Girl is 03 November.

Swag was amazing - gorgeous finishers medal - great technical shirt (pink, of course!), even an AFLAC duck wearing a cap, finishers medal, and "Iron Girl" T-shirt! (I know, it doesn't take much to amuse me).

Great to see all those women, many doing their first triathlon, cancer survivors, mothers and daughters.

Enclosed is a link on an article about yesterday's event. Go to the tricolumbia website for more information, and mark your calendar for next year!

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/bal-md.ho.triathlon24aug24,0,3467995.story

Paula

juliemcdowell    JOINED: 5/13/09    POSTS: 19
RE: Race Report: AFLAC Columbia Iron Girl Triathlon
POSTED: 8/24/09 5:33 PM

I second Paula's race report--this was my first tri, and I am so glad that I chose this event. I had a GREAT time, felt great for the most part and learned so much. I made a number of really dumb rookie mistakes--for instance, didn't know that the transition area closed at 6:30am, had the husband drop me off at the park at 6:45am, barely made it in. I was dumb and didn't go to the informational meeting. I got really freaked out at the beginning of the swim, but eventually just calmed down and really enjoyed it.

ppgodes's ravatar ppgodes    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 83
RE: Race Report: AFLAC Columbia Iron Girl Triathlon
POSTED: 8/25/09 11:48 AM

Julie,

Even us "seasoned" competitors make rookie mistakes, so don't beat yourself up. I showed up at Monclair 5 minutes before the race start...I obviously didn't look at the start time correctly. Thank goodness I was in a later wave. Just barely made it.

Congratulations on your first triathlon...it doesn't get much better than that one!

Paula

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria