DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Ironman this Summer
CREATED: 01/03/11 by joeymc329 REPLIES: 8
joeymc329's ravatar joeymc329    JOINED: 7/21/10    POSTS: 2
Ironman this Summer
POSTED: 1/03/11 5:04 PM

Hey everyone!

Having recently decided to do the Coeur d'Alene Ironman next June, I thought it'd be great to join the DC Tri club to meet and learn from other athletes. I've taken a bit of a hiatus after the Marine Corps Marathon (you may have seen me during the race sporting a DC Tri shirt while nursing my aching IT bands in both legs), but now I'm ready to get going again.

I'm a former college wrestler. I've run quite a few races and have even done a few sprint tris, but now I'm taking it up a notch. There's no question in my mind that I swim, ride, and run without any semblance of sound technique. For a while, getting by on sheer will and grit was fine, but now, staring down an Ironman, I think it's about time that I firm up the basics.

I'd appreciate any and all recommendations; I'll check out the new trainer guide on the site and also all the resources, but any other tips are most welcome. And if anyone wants a training partner in the Dupont area, please let me know.

Best,

Joseph

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
RE: Ironman this Summer
POSTED: 1/04/11 7:57 AM

I used a book the first time I did an IM in 2009. Last year I used the DC TRI IM group. I thought the group was a LOT better. Getting that email every day telling me what I had to do was like opening socks and underwear at Christmas after a while, but it kept me motivated in a way that reading a book just doesn't.

Also, I'd suggest getting in on the Sunday morning rides.

Also, I would get a healthy supply of whatever you are going to drink on the bike and during the run and work with it all summer. I use what they give you in the race -- the Ironman brand stuff -- because that way you don't have to carry much of anything with you.

Most of all -- enjoy the training. It lasts way longer than the race itself.

mbowman4's ravatar mbowman4    JOINED: 5/3/10    POSTS: 14
POSTED: 1/04/11 10:09 AM

I remember swimming in Lake Coeur d'Alene during the summer many many years ago as a kid and it is by far the coldest lake I ever remember swimming in. Not sure where the triathlon swim is, but just thought I would throw that out there.

Anyway, good for you! Going right for the big prize full Ironman, in June no less! Hope you crush it.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1059
POSTED: 1/04/11 12:41 PM

Having done IM-CDA the past two years, I do have some decent knowledge of the event. There were about a dozen DC Tri-ers who also raced last year. If you need any specific advise as far as the course,travel, etc. shoot me an email.

runhuey805 at aol.com
-Hugh

cmartin    JOINED: 8/13/10    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 1/04/11 2:07 PM

I'll be doing C d'A as well this year -- I hope to hook up with folks for training as the year goes on.

joeymc329's ravatar joeymc329    JOINED: 7/21/10    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 1/04/11 5:26 PM

Thanks to everyone for the posts. I'm definitely eager to train with folks and happy to hear any tips you have. I really appreciate it. The hardest steps are the first, right?

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 1/05/11 7:37 AM

The hardest steps are the ones right after your guts turn to soup and your legs turn to fire, right around mile 13. hehehe.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1313
POSTED: 1/05/11 10:55 AM

Ironman training is a very isolated lonely process simply because there just aren't a lot of people out there crazy enough to do it. Most of your training will be done in isolation. Any opportunities you get to join a group, take advantage of that. I find it mentally and physically much more enjoyable when I am surrounded by people during those long s/b/r training sessions.

There are tons of running, swimming, and biking clubs in the area to go along with what DCTri has to offer. There are certain times when isolated training is the best way to go but just like eating ice cream ... there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. If your goal is to do an Ironman as a bucket list one and done thing, you don't need a group to motivate you. That first Ironman is motivating enough. However, if you want to do Ironmans for the foreseeable future, make the process as fun as possible so that you want to come back for more.

There will be peaks and valleys in your training. I find that watching Ironman related videos on YouTube to be a good way to get the juices flowing again. Watching the The Biggest Loser is also quite motivating way for me to get over the valleys. A little weekend trip away from the area may provide a good mental and physical break from the training. The main point is to plan for those valleys and go to it when it happens. You will enjoy the journey more that way.

Good luck.
Tuan

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 1/05/11 11:12 AM

good luck with the training, and make sure you go on group sat/sunday rides or runs if possible for your long run/ride, they make the training much nicer, also a few days of masters swimming also helps break up the monotony,

the good thing is if you do your long run/rides with others the training isn't so bad, but then again some people like riding 4-6 hour rides everytime alone, if that is your personality then do it, if its not then find a crew of people doing the long rides or around your distance with you, it makes the trianing go by faster.

the weekday workouts are usually somewhat alone, mainly because its tough scheduling all those workouts with others.

the training will get a bit tiring and boring and honestly its monontanous and you will question why you are doing it at all.

that is normal and part of the experience so like all the other aspects embrace it.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria