Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

New Pool Hours at Hains Point
CREATED: 08/24/09 by janealonso REPLIES: 43
janealonso's ravatar janealonso    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 54
New Pool Hours at Hains Point
POSTED: 8/24/09 5:09 PM

The head lifeguard went around the pool deck yesterday afternoon announcing new pool hours starting today -- I confirmed on the website as well.

Mon - Fri: 4 pm - 8 pm

The most exciting part -- they are considering extending the pool operation as late as November because of the new heater they installed last spring. On the website, it says the closing date is TBD....

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1653
RE: New Pool Hours at Hains Point
POSTED: 8/24/09 5:29 PM

Just curious if that includes Wednesday. Also, what happens with the master's team that has been coming in at 7 PM? Will the pool be split between it and the non-master swimmers?

BTW, it might be a good notion, given the political flap over Mayor Fenty installing a heater at the Hains pool, to encourage the city to expand the hours and length of the season in which its public pools are open. Would be a great benefit to swimmers, and to the whole city, especially youths.

The link for making suggestions for improving city services follows. The resulting form takes about 30 seconds to fill out:

http://app.dc.gov/apps/about.asp?page=atd&type=dsf&referrer=%5b$DSF_SERVER_NAME$%5d&agency_id=1076

POSTED: 8/24/09 5:43 PM

I believe the pool is still closed on Wednesdays, but I didn't ask the lifeguard that question specifically (I was too excited by the prospect that the pool might be open until Nov to ask any further qs! :-)

I have no idea how it will work with the Masters swimmers.

Good call on writing to the city to encourage them to keep the pool open!

laxley    JOINED: 3/3/09    POSTS: 12
POSTED: 8/24/09 5:45 PM

I just filled out the form -- thanks, Ed!

urbanlumberjack's ravatar urbanlumberjack    JOINED: 3/25/09    POSTS: 143
POSTED: 8/25/09 10:51 AM

So its real this time? I checked the website on Friday and it said the pool closed at 8, but when I swung by after work at 6:50 they said they were closing up. Was a big bummer.

POSTED: 8/25/09 10:59 AM

I think the new hours began yesterday -- they were still operating on the old hours last Friday.

obeastiologist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 3
POSTED: 8/25/09 12:24 PM

Could someone post the website for the pool? google is really letting me down.

dctexan's ravatar dctexan    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 8/25/09 12:56 PM

Indoor Pools and Aquatic Facilities Open Year Round:
http://dpr.dc.gov/dpr/cwp/view,a,1239,q,640531.asp

Outdoor Pools:
http://dpr.dc.gov/dpr/cwp/view,a,1239,q,639572.asp

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 8/25/09 1:51 PM

If you have trouble w/ the new hours at HP, I would suggest printing out the links that Neal/DC Texan posted and keeping them in your swim bag. DCAC and the other night teams do not want to give up ANY lanes at night. I believe that the public always has the right to at least 2 (two) lanes when sharing with a team or aqua joggers.

When the pool hours were extended late due to a heat advisory, I mentioned talking to John Stokes of DC Dept of Parks and Rec to the evening swim club coach when she tried to encroach. She changed her request really fast.

Media Contact Only: John A. Stokes, (202) 673-2195
DPR Aquatics: (202) 671-1289

obeastiologist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 3
POSTED: 8/25/09 4:26 PM

It says that its closed at 7pm on the website.

POSTED: 8/25/09 4:44 PM

Indeed! They changed the info on the website! Wonder what is going on...did the Masters team protest the new hours?

Bummer -- I was looking forward to swimming on a later schedule.

POSTED: 8/25/09 10:13 PM

As far as I know, Masters, which is called Flanagan's that swims in the morning is not affected by the new hours.

Can't/won't speak for DCAC and the other night team.

POSTED: 8/25/09 10:15 PM

Talked to the Hains point head lifeguard/manager today -- she said that they retracted the new evening hours (8 pm) because the Masters team protested after they made the announcement -- Masters had already paid DC for the pool time and laid claim.

On the up side, they are still considering keeping the pool open well into the fall....

POSTED: 8/25/09 10:26 PM

In the spirit of good sportsmanship, the night teams should provide the public with at least 2 lap lanes!!!!!! They don't even have that many people at night!

DCPR is getting a few phone calls from me tomorrow.

POSTED: 8/25/09 10:28 PM

I expect other people to call, too!!!

Make it happen, DC Tri:

Media Contact Only: John A. Stokes, (202) 673-2195
DPR Aquatics: (202) 671-1289

POSTED: 8/25/09 10:39 PM

DPR Customer Service number: (202) 673-7647

DPR Complaint form: http://app.dc.gov/apps/about.asp?page=atd&type=dsf&referrer=dpr.dc.gov&agency_id=1024&dprNav=|

Extended hours?? How can you go from 35 weekday hours to 12 hours and call that extended?

Eleanor Holmes e-mail form: http://www.norton.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=649&Itemid=

On a side note, why the hell does Eleanor Holmes have 3 offices in DC? DC is 10 square miles? WTF? Who does she think she is, Marion Berry?

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1653
POSTED: 8/31/09 8:22 PM

Got an email from the DC parks dept that the Hains Pt. pool will be kept open as long as possible, "and definitely through September."

If you'd like to thank and encourage such action, send a quick email to:

Stephanie.Pitt@dc.gov

Here's the complete email:

"We plan to keep East Potomac open as late into the Fall as possible (most definitely through the end of September). Hours of operation have not been set for the extended season but will be available shortly.

For further concerns, you may contact Stephanie Pitt at 202-550-3622 or email her at Stephanie.Pitt@dc.gov.

Sincerely,

Evelyn Woods
Correspondence Team
Department of Parks and Recreation
3149 16th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20010
direct: 202-673-7647
fax: 202-673-6694
Evelyn.Woods@dc.gov

melshutson's ravatar melshutson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 17
POSTED: 9/05/09 10:06 AM

I sent a thank you email to both. I talked to the lifeguards yesterday (9/4) and they don't when it's going to close

urbanlumberjack's ravatar urbanlumberjack    JOINED: 3/25/09    POSTS: 143
POSTED: 9/08/09 12:07 PM

I was at the pool last week, and was told the pool would stay open until November. November! Dunno if that's actually the case, but that would be wonderful.

melshutson's ravatar melshutson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 17
POSTED: 9/10/09 12:14 AM

Until November? Hmmm. Doesn't sound right. The water gets quite cool after August.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria