CREATED: 08/24/09 by janealonso REPLIES: 43
vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
RE: New Pool Hours at Hains Point
POSTED: 9/10/09 12:55 AM

deleted

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1796
POSTED: 9/10/09 10:02 PM

Lifeguard tonight said lockers will be heated, after that quick run on the cold deck from the warm pool to the showers. (This autumn swimming should improve one's swim to bike transition considerably...) She also thought pool will be open til November.

Lifeguard also urged all to keep contacting Parks and Rec, City Council, and Mayor's office, urging continuation of autumn open-air swimming. She keeps her job, we get to swim.

Choice swimming this eve; quite warm water, just one stroker to a lane.

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 9/11/09 11:21 AM

As much as I gently criticize DC's Department of Parks, I think we should all send e-mails to DPR expressing our gratitude of extending East Potomac Pool's hours (Hains Point). Please identify that you are from DC Tri.

Some contacts:

customerservice.dpr@dc.gov
John.Stokes at dc.gov

E-mail me at: kildaylisa at yahoo.com if you want the whole list. I don't feel comfortable posting everybody's e-mails from DPR's office.

jessiesplanet's ravatar jessiesplanet    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 9/12/09 11:29 AM

I just sent mine. This is the best news I've heard all day.

janealonso's ravatar janealonso    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 54
POSTED: 9/12/09 3:55 PM

Sent my thanks as well. Thanks for providing the information.

POSTED: 9/25/09 9:16 AM

6 open lanes and just 4 swimmers last night. Sweet.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1069
POSTED: 9/25/09 9:42 AM

I just missed you last night... Saw you riding away as I was arriving.

It was a great night to swim. There were actually 2 people/lane from 7-8 but it was awesome having 6 lanes set up.

Huge fan of HP pool staying open late.

mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
POSTED: 9/25/09 10:49 AM

so what are the new hours?

melshutson's ravatar melshutson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 17
POSTED: 9/25/09 11:19 AM

Lifeguard told me yesterday they close daily at 8 and are closing the pool for the season on October 17.

POSTED: 9/27/09 12:04 PM

I happened to run into the mayor at the Fleet Feet Sports this morning and I thanked him for helping get the heater for Hains Point.

POSTED: 10/13/09 2:24 PM

Looks like Haines Point is closed for the season. According to the website it closed Oct 9. I went down there last week and this weekend and it was closed without explanation.

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 10/13/09 3:06 PM

I was there yesterday and it was closed. The sign said - closed on October 10, 2009.

But, yesterday was Columbus day. EMP was also closed. I may try Hains again today.

I can't confirm w/ my contacts at DC Parks b/c she um got fired.

POSTED: 10/13/09 3:16 PM

Yeah, lack of info is frustrating. I went by THREE times last week and on Saturday and the gates were locked without explanation except for the note you mentioned.

Somebody did recently change the official website to state that "Oct 9" was closing date:

http://dpr.dc.gov/dpr/cwp/view,a,1239,q,639572.asp

POSTED: 10/13/09 4:12 PM

On Friday, I was part of a group of about 15 people standing outside the pool waiting to get in and that's when I called DPR to get answers....

I didn't connect with one of the DPR supervisors until today. He was extremely apologetic about the lack of information for the public and said there was no excuse and they would try to do better next year. He said that they decided to close the pool because they were having such a hard time getting staff to show up consistently. For example, on Friday, one lifeguard called in sick, one was a no show, and their on-site supervisor was on leave. There was no backup to pick up the pieces and let the public know the deal (until I called them to let hem know that is!). So they apparently decided to shut the pool down for the year after the Friday afternoon staffing debacle....thus the "closed on October 9" notice, that we are only hearing about now.

I think we are all grateful that the pool was open late in the season to begin with, but it is rather frustrating not to have some basic information about the hours that we can use to plan our visits.

I give him credit for taking responsibility, and I want to give him and his colleagues the benefit of the doubt that they will get their act together next year and implement some basic customer service practices.....sigh, as a Republican, I am tempted to say something cynical now about the competance of government agencies, or perhaps take a shot at DC government specifically (as compared with the better services in Northern VA), but alas, the DC Tri Forum has enough passionate debates without bringing politics into this! :-)

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 10/13/09 4:44 PM

Can someone direct me to a pool in Arlington that is free to County residents?

Oh wait, that doesn't exist... =)

Andy

POSTED: 10/13/09 4:50 PM

Now ya tell me. At the pool, and it is indeed locked. :) An extra loop around the point then.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 10/13/09 8:08 PM

deleted

dctexan's ravatar dctexan    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 10/14/09 1:25 PM

We're Tri-Partisan.

POSTED: 4/16/10 3:01 PM

With the weather warming up, and folks spoiled by the 50-meter Wilson pool, surely it's time to lobby DC to open up the open-air, 50-meter Hains Pt. pool early this year, before Memorial Day.

Last year, because of our lobbying efforts, and Mayor Fenty's purchase of a heater for the pool, the Parks and Rec Dept. kept the pool open well past Labor Day into the fall. This year, because it's an election year, and Fenty took some "heat" for buying the heater, our lobbying efforts may be needed even more.

It takes just a few seconds to contact the city. Here's some contact info. A suggested message in quotes is below:

Suggestion form to DC government:
http://app.dc.gov/apps/about.asp?page=atd&type=dsf&referrer=%5b$DSF_SERVER_NAME$%5d&agency_id=1076

Media Contact Only: John A. Stokes, (202) 673-2195

DPR Customer Service: (202) 673-7647

"Hello. Please open the Hains Pt. pool early, before Memorial Day, just as you kept the pool open late last fall past Labor Day. The new heater there makes this possible. An early opening benefits many of the children and athletes in the city. It's a great facility, and we appreciate it. Thank you very much."

POSTED: 4/17/10 1:31 PM

Thanks for the reminder Ed. I just sent my suggestions to them.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria