DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Tri Nutrition
CREATED: 03/28/09 by New2Tri REPLIES: 6
New2Tri    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 3
Tri Nutrition
POSTED: 3/28/09 3:39 PM

Hi Everyone,

My name is Michael and I am in the NTP program. I'm looking forward to meeting some of my fellow tri newbies at the gear clinic tomorrow. At this point I have wrapped my brain around the training portion of the triathlon experience but I am finding that I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to my diet. I am wondering if there are websites or other resources where I could learn about the nutrition aspects of training for a triathlon, because at this point I haven't really changed my diet all that much from when I was spending most of my time on my couch. Any recommendations for someone as new as new can get to triathlon would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Michael

KMierke    JOINED: 3/11/09    POSTS: 43
RE: Tri Nutrition
POSTED: 3/28/09 5:36 PM

If getting leaner is a goal, www.LeanForaLifetime.com is a good resource.

For race day nutrition, I'll be happy to send copies of the appendicies of my book that cover race day nutrition for different distances to anyone who emails us at Info@Fitness-Concepts.com

For general nutrition for athletes, the best resource is a book called The Paleo Diet for Athletes by Loren Cordain and Joe Friel. One of the authors will be making a presentation in the area in two weeks.

Ken

jonwolfsthal's ravatar jonwolfsthal    JOINED: 3/22/09    POSTS: 43
POSTED: 3/28/09 6:45 PM

This is a really good question and there is no single good answer. The key is to ensure you are getting enough intake to offset the increased activity you will be engaging in. There are a lot of good articles on slowtwitch.com and on the USAT website as well, but it also depends on your specific goals and targets.

minime's ravatar minime    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 48
POSTED: 4/03/09 1:08 PM

Less beer.
More water.

Took me nearly a year to figure that out.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 983
POSTED: 4/03/09 3:49 PM

I didn't know you had figured that out yet. :)

DuathlonFreak's ravatar DuathlonFreak    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 64
POSTED: 4/03/09 6:56 PM

Michael,

Check out this site: www.hammernutrition.com. These guys make a living selling nutrition and supplements, but regardless of whether you use their product, they have an excellent section of in depth and free resources available free on their website - and they know their stuff on fluid and fuel nutrition issues. I suggest browsing some of their "knowledge" material for a start - it is not specific to their products but talks about the fundamentals and covers a lot of common mistakes athletes make which are applicable to whatever kind of fluid, gel, or bar you use. Full Disclosure: I have no interest in the company but I do use their products almost exclusively and they've worked for me for years.

Lawrence

cviolet22    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 4/03/09 8:18 PM

Hi Michael,

This is right up my alley. I would strongly recommend Nancy Clark's "Sports Nutrition Guidebook" for a solid overview of nutrition for fitness. She is a registered dietitian (as I am myself) and is well-known in the nutrition field for her expertise regarding what to eat when it comes to sports and endurance activities. She also has other books about nutrition specifically for runners, cyclists, etc.

I'm also an NTP-er and even having the background knowledge about nutrition I'm finding it a challenge to change my mindset about what to eat now that I'm exercising so much more! If you have any specific questions regarding nutrition you're welcome to e-mail me at cviolet22@hotmail.com.

Cara

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria