Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Tony Kornheiser advocates running over cyclists on the roads
CREATED: 03/11/10 by PotomacTriathlete2009 REPLIES: 39
sleenaerts's ravatar sleenaerts    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 29
RE: Tony Kornheiser advocates running over cyclists on the roads
POSTED: 3/12/10 3:06 PM

I think we can all agree--if TK was making a joke, it was not funny. Not even smirk-worthy. Especially to those of us who spend a lot of time biking on the roads--whether training and commuting--and know that there are far too many people out there who already take his words and put them into action every day. Whether or not TK meant what he said, his words have the power to incite. And if even one person out there misconstrues his "humor" as a call to action and injures a cyclist because of it, then he has to take some responsibility for what he's said.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 3/12/10 3:47 PM

The most direct route to make your feelings known to him is to call his show.
If someone sees any further discussion on his show about this, please post it. I'll keep my eye out, but there are two 40 min podcast archives per day for his show, and I'm sure to miss something. Thanks and good luck!

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 3/12/10 3:55 PM

hey tuan you are the one that brought chris rock in the same sentence as Kornheiser in terms of comedic or joking talent... just saying... :)

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 3/12/10 4:05 PM

omg - you should listen to the actual podcast - there is one line that the transcript missed, one of his cohosts immitates a cyclist frum crunchville's voice yelling at a driver - "Hey buddy, get your foot off of Mother Earth's throat!".

He also ends the podcast with these words (more correct than the post)- "If you are out there on your bikes tonight everybody before the rains come, do wear white. You can get out there on your ridiculous "Shinzano" shirt and your hideous, with your fat white thigh, bicycle shorts."

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 3/18/10 11:47 AM

Lance Armstrong is outraged about the TK story! LA's tweets:
-Listening to Tony Kornheiser's comments/rant on ESPN radio re: cyclists. Disgusting, ignorant, foolish. What a complete f-ing idiot.
-Tony Kornheiser on cyclists on the road, "run 'em down". Really? Big mistake, Tony.
-Not happy about Kornheiser's comments? Let them know @ESPNRadio980, @ptishow, and here http://www.espn980.com/info/contact_us.php
-How douchebags apologize...RT @ESPNRadio980: @ESPNRadio980 - Hoping to be a Trending Topic Worldwide today, keep your fingers crossed...-

Old news to us, but not really b/c Lance was in South Africa last week. (btw, I sent LA an e-mail about TK on 3/11. Did he read it?)

Another avenue to complain about TK's rant:

or you can call them at: 301-230-3500
glasgowd@redskins.com
Dennis Glasgow, VP of Operations
ESPN 980/Red Zebra Broadcasting: 301-230-3580 direct; 703-939-0204 mobile

LIVESTRONG

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 524
POSTED: 3/18/10 12:13 PM

Lance will definitely make a difference on this issue. He's one of the top 3 or 4 most popular people on all of Twitter. (I've heard that he's pretty good at that whole bike racing thing too, LOL.)

Now that Lance is involved, ESPN may take the controversy more seriously.

POSTED: 3/18/10 2:37 PM

Bob Roll responds:

http://www.versus.com/cycling/videos/bobs-beef-with-espns-tony-kornheiser/in-stream/sports/cycling/sort/most-recent/i/1/

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1062
POSTED: 3/18/10 3:24 PM

I love that he calls him Tony Cornhauser.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 524
POSTED: 3/18/10 3:52 PM

LOL @ Cornhauser

POSTED: 3/18/10 4:09 PM

From Lance's empire:

lancearmstrong ...just off the phone w/ Tony Kornheiser who's very sorry 4 his comments re: cyclists. Going on the show 2morrow 2 discuss this w/ him.

Let's hope Lance sets TK straight regarding bikes on roads.

RE: Lance and other cyclists
POSTED: 3/18/10 4:16 PM

Go, Lance, go!

They should also get LeBron James on the show. He is an avid cyclist in the basketball off-season as well as a part owner of the Cannondale company. That would help dispel the stereotype that all cyclists are granola-chomping, eco-terrorist, law-breaking bank robbers. (TK and his assistant were selectively drudging up news reports that seemed to show that every single cyclist was a bank robber. *eye roll*)

Or Scott Brown. Or John Kerry. I think it helps for the general non-cycling population to see and hear examples of "real" cyclists. Otherwise many of these listeners will continue to have the weird image of all cyclists being the jerk that TK is obsessed with. There certainly are a few cyclists like that out there but then again, how many crazy car drivers are out there? Those people are far more of a danger, to cyclists, pedestrian and other car drivers like Kornheiser. Or is it Cornhauser? I forget now.

finnegen's ravatar finnegen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 56
POSTED: 3/19/10 4:10 PM

Tony Kornheiser Backs Down When Called Out by Lance Armstrong, by Fanhouse blog -

For the second time in less than a month, Tony Kornheiser has apologized for something he said on his radio show.

Last time Kornheiser was apologizing for comments making fun of the wardrobe of his ESPN colleague, Hannah Storm -- comments that got him suspended for two weeks from Pardon the Interruption. On Friday morning, Kornheiser apologized for urging drivers to run bicyclists off the road.

Lance Armstrong, who ripped Kornheiser on Thursday, appeared on Kornheiser's radio show and defended bicyclists, and Kornheiser backed down, acknowledging that he "got way over the top" and that "the bicycle people were properly offended."

Kornheiser added that he had a private conversation with Armstrong and that, "I certainly apologized." On the air, Kornheiser vowed, "these rants are over." Armstrong obviously won this very public battle with Kornheiser.

Kornheiser became popular as a writer for the Washington Post and a television and radio commentator for ESPN exactly because he has such an irreverent approach to his subject matter, but it's hard not to think that Kornheiser is losing that edge. The best commentators are the ones who stand behind what they say. Twice in the last month, Kornheiser has failed to do that.

RE: The Return of Lance
POSTED: 3/19/10 6:57 PM

Great job, Lance, for sticking up for cyclists everywhere, not just the elite pro riders. I hope Kornheiser is truly sorry, not sorry he received the backlash. Maybe he will become a true friend of cycling and have a positive effect on cycling issues. I don't know if he would actually ride out on the roads himself. He would have to show his "fat thighs in bike shorts" (Kornheiser's words).

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1062
POSTED: 3/26/10 10:39 AM

If Tony Kornheiser is truly sorry for his comments and attitude towards cyclists, a good start to repairing the damage would be to report on a hit and run accident involving Jordan Rapp.

Jordan is a regular contributor at slowtwitch.com and IMAZ and IMCanada champ. Nasty wreck and sounds like he was quite lucky to survive.

patagonia_80's ravatar patagonia_80    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 77
POSTED: 3/26/10 1:06 PM

Wow....I'm sending my prayers to Jordan and his family for a speedy recovery.

trisha's ravatar trisha    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 133
POSTED: 3/26/10 1:45 PM

hit and run accidents truly astound me. I hit a squirrel with my car a couple years ago and had trouble driving away - the fact that someone can do that with a human being....

POSTED: 3/26/10 3:13 PM

I read about that on Competitor.com. Best wishes for his recovery. I hope they catch the driver too.

POSTED: 4/01/10 3:32 AM

Update on Jordan Rapp, mostly good news. He is able to stand up and talk now. He is already planning his return to racing so it sounds like he'll make a full recovery. A local Ventura County news site has a story about Chief Petty Officer Thomas Sanchez who appears to have saved Rapp's life. Sanchez is a Navy Seabee who is preparing to deploy to Afghanistan. He happened to drive up to the scene of the accident and stopped to see what was going on. He saw that other bystanders were calling 911 but none of them had any medical training.

Sanchez was careful not to move Rapp for fear of aggravating any head or neck injuries but he saw that Rapp had a wound on his neck. It turns out that two of Rapp's jugular veins had been severed and he had lost 2 liters of blood. Sanchez had some first-aid items in his car. He took out some gauze and pressed down on the wound to slow the bleeding. It's believed that doing so gave Rapp enough time to hang on until the paramedics arrived.

Workers from a nearby berry ranch had left for work around the time of the crash. Only one worker called in sick the next day. Police found his van and identified Rapp's blood on the vehicle. However, the driver is believed to have fled to Mexico.

But at least Rapp should recover and get back to racing someday. Rapp was able to meet with and thank Sanchez at the hospital.

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2010/mar/29/triathlete-says-seabee-saved-his-life-after/

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 4/01/10 7:49 AM

Good news!

And also a good reminder that I need to take a First Aid class. While I don't expect any of us to start carrying a medical kit on rides, it's better to have a least a basic level of training in case of an emergency.

or always ride with Mark Z.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 457
POSTED: 4/01/10 7:50 AM

Thanks for posting. Seabees do not get very much press, but they are a vital part of the War on Terror and go through intensive readiness training to prepare for their deployments. Sadly, some have paid the ultimate sacrifice: http://www.seabeesmuseum.com/Deaths_in_Iraq.html

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria