DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Nooo....Injury Before IMLP
CREATED: 06/27/13 by rpcvadriana REPLIES: 9
rpcvadriana    JOINED: 1/3/12    POSTS: 16
Nooo....Injury Before IMLP
POSTED: 6/27/13 6:24 PM

Wonder if anyone else has faced a similar dilemma and what they did about it:

On a recent long run, I probably ran up one too many hills (route was all over Palisades, upper NW) because afterwards my calf started to bother me. The pain is similar to what I experienced a few years back when I over trained and got a stress reaction, a precursor to a stress fracture. I definitely eased into long runs this year and a previous 16 mile run caused no issue so I don't think over-training is the culprit. I rested for a week and tried to run today, pain was still there :(

Question is what to do now - 5 weeks from race day (ahh, imagine my frustration).

Swimming and biking are fine so that training continues as normal but the whole running thing...I thought I'd try to aqua jog for the next couple weeks to (hopefully) keep up my endurance and then run lightly before IMLP. During the race, I'll be motivated to suck it up, if needed.

Curious, and seeking advice, from those who've been in a similar predicament...what did you do and how did your race go??

Thanks!
ps. bailing on the race is not an option I'd like to think about

molnarc2's ravatar molnarc2    JOINED: 9/8/12    POSTS: 28
RE: Nooo....Injury Before IMLP
POSTED: 6/27/13 7:42 PM

I had a similar issue in early May, where I developed a grade 2 calf strain on an easy 12 mile run that took me from Dupont up Connecticut and wherever from there. No idea what caused it but whatever.

I was able to continue to train through it, but what worked for me was cutting back milage and intensity significantlly. I also used KT tape (mueller brand because the KT brand is garbage) and compression sleeves during the runs. I wore compression sleeve every day all day from morning until bed (it helped I have multiple pairs so I wasn't wearing the ones I was training in). I also found that my calf loosed up significantly after each swim and bike workout. As a result of learning this, I would get on the bike for about a 10-15 minute workout before going out to run (this worked for me and reduced the pain when running).

Good luck with whatever road you decide to go down. An achilles tendon injury that I developed a few weeks ago has caused me to pull out of racing IM Louisville.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1267
POSTED: 6/27/13 8:35 PM

Been there, done that :)

I fractured my clavicle from a bike accident 6-7 weeks prior to my first IM. I told my mother that I was going to pull out of the Ironman. She asked, "why? It's still 6-7 weeks away." With that, I decided to do the Ironman anyway because Ironman triathletes are either idiots or are mentally wired differently ... or we have mothers who should be sent to the old people's homes when they get older.

I rode on the trainer 2 weeks after the accident. I started running again 2 1/2 weeks after the accident. I "swam" again, 4-5 weeks after the accident. My background is running, so I knew that I would have no issues with running. I felt that I had enough bike fitness to do the 112. The only question was the swim. Obviously the times would be slower, but so what?

I finished the race and was proud of that. However, the accident left a very sour taste in my mouth. I felt like most of my training was for not. I decided to sign up for the same race at the race site for the following year. Came back the following year and knocked 1 hr 20 minutes off of that time. Would have been more, but let's just say that I had a little helmet malfunction in T-1 that cost me about 15 additional minutes in T-1.

Aqua-jogging is about as good as you are going to get to running without actually running. Stay with that. If I were in your shoes, I would use this opportunity to put in as much biking and swimming as I can. With the injury, you are most likely not going to run the marathon leg, not a lot of it anyway. Probably a lot of walking, so why put in more run training than need be? Load up on the bike and swim volume so that your legs are more fresh for the run. When the run comes, let your body dictate what you can do. Do it with the knowledge that your stronger bike leg will give you more cushion to walk without worries about time cutoffs.

You are not alone in this. I thought that I was one of the few unfortunate ones that had gone through this. Being that a lot of people in DCTri know me, when I had my accident, a bunch of them emailed me to tell me about their similar stories and how they were able to overcome them and still race.

You have to stay confident and mentally strong. You have to believe that all of your run training has a residual affect. No second guessing. Once I made up my mind that I was going to race, the only thing that was in my mind was how to race, not whether I'll make it to the start line.

--Tuan

P.S Below is a picture of my clavicle, taken shortly after the accident. The medal is just to show mind over matter ;) BELIEVE!

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 440
POSTED: 6/28/13 7:01 AM

Lake Placid 2010 I developed back/hamstring pain about 5 weeks out that significantly reduced my running. I just bumped up the biking and swimming, and ran easy 2 times a week. Come race day, it went fine and I PR'ed by almost 1 hour. Although, I did fade on the second run loop which I attributed to my lack of running. Still, the run in an Ironman is less a run and more a shuffle to get it to the finish line. Focus on the bike. The extra bike mileage will pay great dividends.

Good luck and I'll see you out at Lake Placid!

chad0022's ravatar chad0022    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 303
POSTED: 6/28/13 11:12 AM

Many of us have been there.

4 weeks before IM Wisconsin my back spasms caused a muscle in my back to 'pop out'. It was so inflamed that it was point of hot to the touch after having an ice pack on the area for 30 minutes. Lots of pain, drugs, and PT and very little swimming, biking and walking, I still didn't know what would happen. Fantastic support from friends, family and my coach got me to the start line.
16 hours 22 minutes and 44 seconds later, I crossed the finish line (and no permanent damage to the area).

Trust in your training. 5 weeks does not make you an Ironman. Everything you have done to this point can make you an Ironman. Believe in yourself.
Be save and have fun!

CoachAJ    JOINED: 1/2/12    POSTS: 207
POSTED: 6/28/13 1:44 PM

Aqua jog to maintain your fitness and don't run (or make is worse). Like everyone else has shared, this is not uncommon nor a show stopper! See you on the course!

AJ

POSTED: 6/28/13 7:35 PM

Thanks everyone! I'm glad to hear others have found ways to finish IMs despite injuries. Completing an IM with a broken clavicle, back spasms, I imagine is no easy task!! I would consider signing up for 2014 IMLP to race to the best of my ability but I promised friends I'd only do sprints/olys next year...

I'm going to rest and replace runs with aqua jogging...that'll be 2hrs of fun :/ hoping by LP it is better to allow me to run. I realize I will do the run/walk method and feel sore on the second lap from not running but that's manageable. What I really hope to avoid is 26.2 miles of walking, especially since running is my favorite/best discipline!

HolliMarie's ravatar HolliMarie    JOINED: 6/21/11    POSTS: 143
POSTED: 6/30/13 2:02 PM

I've never been in this predicament...but I happen to be a PT who has happened to completed an Ironman. Aquajogging is your best bet as of now. Make sure you're doing quality aquajogging workouts and if you're interested in PT (I'd be) you should come in. I'm certified to dry needle, which depending on your pathology may be very helpful.

Holli

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 7/01/13 9:47 AM

Bruised ribs kept me from training hardly at all last year for IMLP.

For what it's worth, the run course can be walked in six hours and 30 minutes.

Stay safe! See you out there.

Brad.

POSTED: 7/01/13 3:10 PM

6 hrs and 30 mins - good to know in case everything goes downhill. Here's hoping my aqua jogging (doing intervals and long "runs") and rest pays off so I can manage the run-walk method! If not, power-walking will become my new favorite sport.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria