Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Tour Buses Crash on Ohio Drive
CREATED: 04/30/10 by lisalisadc REPLIES: 5
lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
Tour Buses Crash on Ohio Drive
POSTED: 4/30/10 1:00 PM

Pretty nasty crash. Hope they get better. Did anyone doing late loops see this?

Two Tour Bus Drivers Injured in Crash Near Tidal BasinThe drivers of two tour buses were seriously injured in a collision on Ohio Drive SW this morning, near the Tidal Basin. The accident took place at 10:30 a.m. It looks like one of the buses was parked when the second bus crashed into it head-on, according to D.C. Fire/EMS spokesperson Pete Piringer. There were no passengers on board either bus, but one of the drivers was trapped and emergency crews were working to cut open the bus in order to free him. Both men appear to have sustained life-threatening injuries.

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
RE: Tour Buses Crash on Ohio Drive
POSTED: 4/30/10 2:25 PM

Wow, crashed head-on with a parked bus on Ohio? The buses park where it is two lanes in each direction, so it's hard to picture how this could happen.

urbanlumberjack's ravatar urbanlumberjack    JOINED: 3/25/09    POSTS: 143
POSTED: 5/03/10 12:11 PM

What concerns me is that both drivers sustained life-threatening injuries, which means since this was a collision with a parked bus the moving bus must have been moving pretty damn fast. I think we've all seen some pretty reckless driving out there on the point, so hopefully there will be a reconsideration of tour bus protocols as some good to come of this.

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 5/03/10 12:34 PM

Tour buses are pretty flat on the front -- wouldn't have to be going THAT fast.

I almost got crashed into by a tour bus at last year's training tri. Instead I decided to wreck into the grass.

What is strange about this story is how BIG those buses are... how do you not see one just sitting there?

nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 429
POSTED: 5/03/10 2:48 PM

Yeah - I was out there doing laps (reduced to the short since Ohio Dr. over the Tidal Basin was closed) in the afternoon and saw one of the two buses being towed away. It was in pretty bad shape and the front end of it was smashed into about the third row of seats I would say. It almost looked like it had crashed into a telephone pole going pretty fast.

Here's the footage...
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local-beat/Tour-Buses-Collide-Head-On-in-District-92508039.html

dravenrayn    JOINED: 5/5/10    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 5/05/10 2:07 PM

I was taking my kids from PA to Dc for a school trip and witnessed this accident as it happened. The images still disturb me! The drive must have had a heart attack as he was driving which caused him to go in the wrong lane and up on the curb. We stayed to give a statement. Does anyone know where I can find a local article showing if he is ok? From what we saw he was in pretty bad shape.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria