Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

How did Columbia go?
CREATED: 05/17/09 by drsully REPLIES: 13
drsully's ravatar drsully    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 30
How did Columbia go?
POSTED: 5/17/09 9:09 PM

For those that did Columbia how did the race go? Did it rain for the bike portion, did anyone crash? Im sure the race reports will be up soon. I did the Marine Corp Half Marathon, and it poured for most of the race but at least it was cooler compared to National Duathlon.

adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
RE: How did Columbia & Rocket's go?
POSTED: 5/17/09 9:58 PM

Any thing is cooler than the National Duathlon, at least so far this year. I was also wondering about Columbia and Rockets Landing. I'm in Williamsburg for a business meeting and ran all 17 miles of my run in the pouring rain. I'm getting pretty good at it, and had way too much practice of riding and running in awful conditions. Hope everyone had a great race. Lets here about it!

ptlori    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 36
RE: How did Columbia go?
POSTED: 5/17/09 10:10 PM

ROCKETT'S LANDING:
I have to say that Richmond Multi-Sports puts on great races. This was my second race of theirs and I have enjoyed both of them.

Anyway, much to my chagrin, it became a du after we were all suited up in our wetsuits...
Because of currents, they shortened the swim from 1500 meters to 300 meters. The first wave was all men. They got in the water and started swimming, and it was immediately clear that the current was VERY strong. Most of the men couldn't get around the first buoy and if they did they were immediately swept downstream. People were clinging to the kayaks and basically it was a disaster for those guys. Not surprisingly, it became a Du with a 2 mile run to begin. It was raining and cold, but both the run and bike courses were interesting and included running stairs and along the flood wall. Although there wasn't a swim, I enjoyed the race and would do the race next year.
It is unfortunate for RMS that the first year was terrible weather, because it really has the potential to be a great race. I hope that people will look past the weather and swim situation and more will sign up next year.

How was Columbia?

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 5/17/09 11:28 PM

Nice race weather. Some rain. Perfect swim conditions. 72 deg water, as advertised. Hugh hosted the tent. Lovatos, Wassners and other pros abounded. Margie got 2nd after 2 surgeries, topping Chrissie Wellington. Our own Lindsey as a pro. DC Tri in force. Mostly last year NTP'ers. Super vols manned water stop. Schadenfreude Sublime. Pasta with Chrissie (well, near her). Cold wind. Brunch at Clydes. Vigo gives a good pep talk. Crystal awards. That weird, Columbia Tri 60's and 70's movie music (Vigo's playlist or something). As usual, Columbia is the Show, with hills. 4th year and still love it.

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 248
POSTED: 5/18/09 10:08 AM

as a Columbia-virgin (heck, this is only my 2d OLY and 3rd tri), I'm happy I survived. Being less than one month to Eagleman my goas were to get some open water practice and not to die on the bike (I was terrified of the hills and wet roads). I accomplished both.

The weather was okay. No rain during set up, light rain during the swim. If it rained during the bike I don't remember - I was just trying to get through it and have some fun at that point and get my feet back on the ground at that point. All in all, the weather was perfect for running (as a marathoner turned triathlete) and I would kill to have a race day in those conditions.

I was very glad to have lots of DC tri folks to stand around and shiver with until my wave started (at 8:03) - some familiar faces, mostly new folks (since I'm new to the club... but was warmly welcomed and felt part of the team in no time).

The water temp was warmer than the air temp, which seemed a bit odd to me, but what do I know?

My take away from the experience: I'm surprised the race managers didn't find a way to make the swim hilly. Wow. Seriously, were all the hills on the run necessary? I strongly suspect I'm in for next year.

Big thanks to the volunteers who manned the water stop at mile 3ish whom we passed again around mile 5. It was very nice to see familiar faces and get cheered on! Happy to see my NTP mentee out there having some fun!

Also, kudos to the clubbers who made the trek to watch and cheer - that was very cool. And the tent was great, I talked to Hugh a bit but didn't actually formally meet him. Thanks for setting it up, Hugh!

-Becky

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 5/18/09 10:38 AM

Well I to was a Columbia-Man Tri- virgin. I have to say this is a very challenging course. I mean the hills were everywhere. Even after the race we had to go up a hill to get to the food, then another hill to get to the cars. I suggested that we swim up stream like flounders and the would make the up hill battle complete. I am definately in for next year. I loved the challenge, although I could not use my big chain ring on the downhills, cause I jammed my thumb pretty good in the battle of the swim. All and all, it was an awesome race an encourage people to go for it next year.
Weather was pretty good, light sprinkle of rain, wind was there to provide a little extra challenge. All we needed was about 10 degrees warmer, and you couldn't ask for anything more.
Volunteers were awesome, specially the DC Tri members throwing out cheers for the club members racing. Thanks that gives us a little extra motivation. Got to see my mentee at the top of the last hill. She is probably saying wow he looks like hell, and probably potitioning for a new mentor.
The after works was great. Hugh had the tent up, was sitting back and relaxing, it was awesome to have a place to congrigate and talk about the race.
Awesome job everyone that raced, or volunteered. Will see you next year, because I plan on going back for more hills.

jvanleunen    JOINED: 3/3/09    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 5/18/09 11:27 AM

From a newbie. :D This was my first experience ever at a tri (as a spectator and volunteer) and it was a great learning experience and tons of fun! I needed to see the swim start to ease my own apprehension for my first tri later this summer so I woke up at 3a to get on the road by 4a. I’ve convinced myself that the pre-dawn rising was part of training since all these races are early morning anyway.

We made it up by 5:30 and that gave us time to check out the transition area. Literally, we spent an hour standing at the fence outside the transition area watching people set up their stations for the race and taking furious mental notes. We then saw the first few waves of the swim start and rushed back to transition to catch the pros getting onto their bikes. On our way up to the run course to find our fellow volunteers we walked the lake path and I realized how far the swimmers swim – and the real length of 1.5k wim started to sink in… WOW!!

Lots of fun was had at the DC Tri water stop – though we were told by racers-by that we forgot the “dolly wigs” …obviously missed the costume memo- maybe next year. It was so great to see my mentor kicking butt on those hills (go Becky!) and all the DC Tri folks doing so well!! On my way, home drenched in Gatorade and rainwater I felt a new found appreciation for what I’ve gotten myself into!

Congrats to all the DC Tri participants!!!! And thanks of course to the fellow water stop team!!

-Julie

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 5/18/09 11:59 AM

Next year's Columbia will be on 23 May. Sweet date.

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 248
POSTED: 5/18/09 12:42 PM

my mentee rocks! Great recap, Julie!

sounds like you're in again, Simon! Excellent.

When does registration open? I know it closes fairly quickly... glad I got in this year (now that it's over I can say I'm glad I got in . . . only because I survived).

Great job everyone! Racers, volunteers, fans, tent-setter-uppers!

Sorry I missed Clyde's. Maybe next year!

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 5/18/09 1:02 PM

I dropped my chain going from downhill to steep uphill, thereby losing all forward momentum and crashed my bike with feet still clipped... LOLOLOLOL.

Then when I got the chain back on, I tried to go uphill and immediately crashed again... 2 crashes 5 feet apart....

Race was great though, plenty of water and gatorade on the course... all of which spilled out during crashes 1 and 2.

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 5/18/09 3:07 PM

I was an early-bird volunteer for Columbia so I was already assigned to the transition area by the time the water stop was organized. I've decided that the transition area is pretty much the best place to watch a race, especially with a pro field like yesterday's. You get to watch every piece of the athletes' race and it's fun to see the order of the field change from T1 to T2. More than anyone else, the people in transition have their fingers on the entire pulse of the race. It was so freakin' cool!

I've decided that Chrissy Wellington is the nicest person ever. That girl never stopped smiling. Coming out of the water she was grinning and giving the two handed wave to the spectators. At one point I realized that she was standing next to me at the run start, cheering people on. Given her enthusiasm I thought for a split second that she must personally know some of these people but then I realized that no, she was just on her way back to collect her bike gear and stopped to root for random people.

That said, the worst part about this volunteer job was at the end when I was assigned the task of directing people to the ONE exit they could use to leave transition with their bikes, unfortunately making a lot of tired triathletes veeeerrrrry unhappy. I had this conversation about 500 times: I'm really sorry, I know you're tired...yes, I know that your car is RIGHT THERE...yes, I know it's a stupid rule...no, I can't make an exception.

All in all, a good day - congrats to all the DC Tri-ers out there!

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 5/18/09 3:28 PM

Suzkinsky - Thanks for volunteering! Tremendous effort on your part and most appreciated.

I have not put my thoughts together on yesterday's race. I am in the coulda woulda shoulda throws right now. Coulda gotten that darn wet suit off faster, woulda liked more time training on the bike, shoulda gone faster. And that wind really sucked, pedalling down hill through the wind; that is just not fair.

Yes, I'll be back next year.

olib    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 5/18/09 3:30 PM

Thanks for being there and the great support by you and all of the others, a great club! I was one of those tired guys that got re-directed so pleasantly, all part of it.

racing2009's ravatar racing2009    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 36
POSTED: 5/19/09 9:05 AM

I first want to extend my thanks to Julie for being an awesome pilot on the road from Alexandria to the race site. It was great to be able to witness all involved with the race with a fellow newbie.

I also want to commend the racers for tackling such a tough course. I too was at mile 3 giving out water and it was amazing to see so many racers in great spirits passing us TWICE! Your training efforts clearly were paying off! Really--- nice job.

To the fellow volunteers, thanks for making helping out at such a busy waterstop so enjoyable.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria