Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Jersey Jitters
CREATED: 07/06/09 by ppgodes REPLIES: 10
ppgodes's ravatar ppgodes    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 83
New Jersey Jitters
POSTED: 7/06/09 4:09 PM

O.K....I signed up for way too many races this year (eight...two of those are Olympic, the rest are Sprints)...hey, I'm fairly new at this, and it really didn't seem like too many when I signed up for them all in January.

I've completed 4 of the 8, and the next one is New Jersey.

It will be my first Olympic, and quite frankly, I'm a little nervous. I have Culpeper the following week (I know, dumn), so I'm concerned about recovery, and also, just the ability to do the swim at New Jersey.

The deadline has passed for refund or transfer, so I either need to suck up the loss, or just do it.

I'm trekking up there by myself, so another reason I'm thinking of just canning the whole thing.

So I guess I'm putting out an e-mail to see if someone is willing to be my friend that weekend...I know alot of the new tri peeps are doing this one, so I'm assuming we're going to have a strong DC contingent there.

Also, any reports on the swim from previous participants? I hear it will probably be too warm for a wetsuit, which is my little security blanket.

I just don't want to drive all the way up there and be alone if I die during the swim.

Thanks a bunch,

Paula

matr's ravatar matr    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 44
RE: New Jersey Jitters
POSTED: 7/06/09 5:11 PM

Remember, if you are worried about the swim, you can always hang onto a kayak or paddleboard as long as you don't use it to make forward progress. You will be fine.

About recovery, just consider it a medium length brick workout. It really does not take very long to recover from a 1.5k swim, 40k bike and a 10k run. If you kill yourself and leave it all on the course, you may be a little sore and tired for a couple of days, but nothing that a nice beer and nap won't fix. No worries.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1751
POSTED: 7/06/09 5:13 PM

Hailing from NY, I'm always nervous about going to Jersey...

...You could do the race as a workout, and enjoy watching all the NTPers doing their first race.

Then take the following week off.

Then do the Culpepper race as you see fit.

matr's ravatar matr    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 44
POSTED: 7/06/09 5:25 PM

Isn't New Jersey where the bad things happen?

trisha's ravatar trisha    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 133
POSTED: 7/06/09 5:25 PM

Hailing from NY, but having spent many years in New Jersey, I can tell you it's going to be AWESOME!

Seriously, I've heard the lake is very calm and will be a peaceful swim. And there will be so many friendly faces out there you can always stop for a quick inter-swim chat (which I did last week at ITU with some random person and it was quite nice and made me feel better). Then it's just a little biking and running and you're done and feel great!

Most importantly, you most often regret the things you didn't do rather than any "mistakes" you may have made. Even if you have a crappy day, you're still lucky and brave enough to be out there doing it!

(But maybe wear a roadID so we can identify your body ;)

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 7/06/09 6:15 PM

don't worry i have done over 8 races a season, which included a combo of sprints/olympic (mostly) and one 1/2 ironman.

it can be done, and you can survive a long season like that.

the only catch is simple. you won't be able to "peak" for each race, its just too many races to be able to peak for each one. what will happen is you will have some good races and a couple of races where you are just plain sore or tired from the previous week's workouts or races. so don't be dissapointed if you don't have "a personal best" at each race.

the one thing you will realize is that when you have one race one weekend followed by anotehr race a following weekend, the week between you literally treat like a recoverly or taper week, just enough to get some of the soreness from the prev race out then you do the next race. the second race won't be as fast as the prev race obviously but you can still have a good race. the only thing that is good is if you have a 2-3 week break between races, that will allow you to recover a bit more. the only thing that sorta sucks is that wherever your fitness is before the "big push of races" that is where your fitness will generallly hover. though with enough races you can "race yourself into fitness" and get a little faster as a season goes on.

good luck and have fun. treat this season as the ultimate learning experience. stop stressing so much on results and just enjoy the experience.

patagonia_80's ravatar patagonia_80    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 77
POSTED: 7/06/09 9:23 PM

Don't give up! All the NTPers will be up there!

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 7/06/09 9:26 PM

Paula you looked good enough at Sandy Point to handle Lake Mercer in NJ. It's not quite as rough. You can successfully avoid people by using some of the positioning techniques we discussed and the kayaks as mentioned above. You may be somewhat fatigued right now from your race efforts (congrats btw!). If you are really tired and mentally burned out, recommend complete rest for a few days then reevaluating how you feel. Ensure you follow the training program from here on in, particularly the taper - even over-taper, and you will likely find yourself surprised by your abilities. Like the guys said above, multiple races are doable. Focus on your recovery leading up to each one - don't over do it. Trust your endurance - it will be there for you if you rest properly.
(edit) May have to qualify this by saying that if you truly feel you cannot make the swim - be safe. Someone did actually die in the swim at NJ last year and we later waves swam right over him apparently.

You don't want to miss the event that is NTP at NJ. You will have about 200 friends there!

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 7/06/09 9:52 PM

Paula,

You looked more than ready at the training tri and the Du. I think you will be fine. If you are feeling overwhelmed, by all means take one of your back to back races, and just use it as an organized, supported training session. I have done that over the years. Me, I would race Jersey and use the following weeks sprint as a training session for upcoming races.

ppgodes's ravatar ppgodes    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 83
POSTED: 7/07/09 12:06 PM

Thanks everyone...Mark (thanks for the offer - you're the best!) and I will be driving up together, and it's nice to hear there will indeed be a large DC contingent!

Good advice to follow...and what, me? Stress over results? Is it that obvious?

Taper is sound advice...somthing I've never been that good at doing - my first Olympic, so I worry about drowning halfway, though that obviously won't happen.

But look for the roadID :)

Cheers,

Paula

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 7/07/09 12:24 PM

i havent' met a triathlete yet that doesn't stress over results in some way shape or form.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria