Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Recovery drinks
CREATED: 07/22/11 by stahir REPLIES: 13
stahir    JOINED: 6/4/11    POSTS: 12
Recovery drinks
POSTED: 7/22/11 9:40 AM

I'm looking for advice on recovery drinks. Muscle Milk seems to be heavily promoted everywhere but wonder if it's a truly good option. What other recovery drinks do people use? I'd appreciate any advice and recommendations. Thanks!

kkaufer's ravatar kkaufer    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 126
RE: Recovery drinks
POSTED: 7/22/11 10:19 AM

I use Hammer's chocolate-flavored recoverite. Yummy with a capital Y and a quick and easy way to refuel after a long work-out. Lots of people drink normal chocolate milk, but I find it to be too sugary.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 459
POSTED: 7/22/11 10:31 AM

I sometimes drink Ensure. They make a recovery version. Otherwise typical I just drink pickle juice after a long hot ride.

jane456's ravatar jane456    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 69
POSTED: 7/22/11 10:55 AM

chocolate milk!

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2008/03/milking-chocolate-cow.html

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/03/chocolate-milk-vs-endurox-r4-recovery.html

Lindsey

mildmanneredreporter's ravatar mildmanneredreporter    JOINED: 8/20/09    POSTS: 26
POSTED: 7/22/11 11:03 AM

Low-fat chocolate milk, unless you're lactose intolerant. Simple and cheap. A glass will give you 3 grams fat, 8 grams protein, 22 grams carb. If too many carbs, cut it with regular. You'll also be getting potassium, magnesium, calcium, vitamin a, vitamin d, and a sexy milk moustache.

jdruke's ravatar jdruke    JOINED: 9/2/10    POSTS: 64
POSTED: 7/22/11 2:15 PM

Full disclosure I am a brand ambassador of reGen, but I would definitely recommend it.

It's chocolate and made by Hershey's so it's delicious. It features the 3:1 carb protein ratio for optimal recovery. And the cocoa used is specially produced (non-alkalized) to generate more antioxidant power than two cups of blueberries.

More info here: http://www.regen2recover.com

You can order online or get it at Potomac River Running

I've been training with reGen for 3-4 months now and have set some serious PRs.

rumpuscat's ravatar rumpuscat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 11
POSTED: 7/22/11 6:22 PM

I'm a big fan of coconut water. No need to get the expensive stuff at GNC--any decent supermarket with an ethnic food section should have it, or any market that sells Mexican/Thai/Jamaican goods. Some brands have chunks and some don't--I like 'em both. VitaCoco is my current favorite because it's less sweet. Nice and light--not as nutritionally packed as some of the above options, though.

jen_'s ravatar jen_    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 162
POSTED: 7/23/11 9:38 AM

I'm a fan of recovery food first. Real food with pronounceable ingredients.

Next choice is coconut water/juice mixed with recovery protein by Stronger Faster Healthier and crushed ice. I can't say it's helped me set PRs or how great the chocolate tastes (personal preference to Natural flavor).

What I do like is that there's no artificial flavoring, the whey is from free-range, grass-fed cows, and there's minimal sugar.

I also take the fish oil from SFH.

jen

stahir    JOINED: 6/4/11    POSTS: 12
POSTED: 7/29/11 1:23 PM

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your awesome insight!

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 7/29/11 1:25 PM

Noone has said "beer" yet? Weak.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1059
POSTED: 7/29/11 1:45 PM

Hey Andy - I was at a talk before a marathon and the speaker said that beer had a very important mineral in it - chromium. She just said to make sure you re-fuel with water/electrolytes before you have your Chromium.

hmooney    JOINED: 9/30/09    POSTS: 77
POSTED: 8/03/11 12:14 PM

Accelerade before & during, recover with Endurox or chocolate milk.

slowtwitchva's ravatar slowtwitchva    JOINED: 2/18/10    POSTS: 207
POSTED: 8/04/11 8:56 AM

I have tried everything under the sun and Endurox R4 is still my fav. Chocolate mixed with milk, or orange with ice cold water. Yum.

lisakurdziel's ravatar lisakurdziel    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 8/07/11 8:49 PM

I down one of the little horizon low fat chocolate milk containers right after a workout. It's super tasty and feels like a treat but is actually a perfect mix of what you need.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria