Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Swim advice!
CREATED: 07/22/11 by pmart15 REPLIES: 6
pmart15's ravatar pmart15    JOINED: 12/14/09    POSTS: 129
Swim advice!
POSTED: 7/22/11 10:41 AM

I'm not good at it... for longer than 50m that is. I swam 25:35 last year in the DC Tri (Sprint), no wetsuit. That was good enough for 25/28 in my AG, yay. This year 18:48, with a wetsuit. That was 70/97 in my AG, weak. I generally keep moving throughout, but never freestyle for longer than 50m without switching to side stroke or breastroke for a bit.

Anyway, I'd like to dump 5 minutes off my swim time by next year's race. A 13:55 doesn't seem like an amazing time, right? It's just a solid freestyle swim.

My goal is top 5 in my AG and if I dump 10 total minutes I'll be there. Any advice is welcome on private lessons, Master's swim, or DC Tri training sessions. I saw the CUA swims and while I could make it there occasionally it's way out of the way since I live in Springfield, Va.

pdurb's ravatar pdurb    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 8
RE: Swim advice!
POSTED: 7/22/11 10:57 AM

I found Total Immersion very helpful. They have clinics, but the DVD is probably enough. http://www.totalimmersion.net/
It emphasizes efficiency and relaxation, which are particularly important in triathlons.

You may like that it begins with sidestrokes, and essentially teaches you how to link those together. By practicing these drills, and perhaps taking a couple of lessons from a coach who emphasizes this technique, you should be on your way.

I think there are others on here who can probably recommend a coach.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1773
POSTED: 7/22/11 1:10 PM

The AU Curle-Burke 2-day TI swim clinic. Knocked 10 minutes off my 3K time.

jameswilson's ravatar jameswilson    JOINED: 4/11/10    POSTS: 92
POSTED: 7/22/11 4:28 PM

Agree on the AU CUBU 2 day swim clinic. I took it last year, and I went from back-of-the-pack in the DC Tri to the middle-of-the-pack in Nations. Even better was that I felt like I knew what I was doing, instead of practicing a controlled drowning.

pmart15's ravatar pmart15    JOINED: 12/14/09    POSTS: 129
POSTED: 7/23/11 3:30 PM

Thanks guys. I took that class too. I suppose I could revisit the drills :) Along with a little suck it up and gradually go further and further without stopping.

slowtwitchva's ravatar slowtwitchva    JOINED: 2/18/10    POSTS: 207
POSTED: 7/28/11 1:44 PM

Can someone provide a link to the 2 day AU clinic?

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1773
POSTED: 7/28/11 1:53 PM

Don't know about link, but here's a contact person:
"Frank Marcinkowski"
f.marcinkowski at cubu-masters dot org.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria