DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Test Riding a Used Bike-- NEED TIPS
CREATED: 03/12/10 by PamS REPLIES: 2
PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 364
Test Riding a Used Bike-- NEED TIPS
POSTED: 3/12/10 8:33 AM

Hi,

I'm taking a bike for a test ride tomorrow morning (in Philly). It's before most bike shops in the area are open. Ideally i'd like to have a mechanic check it out ahead of time but it won't work out b/c of scheduling. Anything major I should be looking for? Any major mechanical issues that would be super expensive to repair that I wouldn't be able to recognize by looking at it. btw I know nothing about bikes, I assume if I ride it and it goes and doesn't fall apart that it'll be ok... Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Pam

Or if anyone is going to be in the Philly area and wants to come w me for my test ride at 8:30 that'd be great too :)

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1331
RE: Test Riding a Used Bike-- NEED TIPS
POSTED: 3/12/10 9:28 AM

1. Look carefully at the frame (top to bottom and underneath) to see if there are any cracks. Walk away if there any ... no matter the price, size of the crack, or shininess of the bike.

2. Ride on flat roads and hilly ones. Do a lot of shifting, breaking, and turning during your ride. See how smooth and even they are.

3. Look at the chain and the teeth of the front and back rings/cassette. See if they are worn out.

4. Look at the tires. Are they worn out? If there are cracks on the rubber tires then that means that you will need to purchase new ones after you purchase the bike. Look at the wheels to see if there are any cracks or stuff bent out of position

5. Ask if you can take it to a local bike shop to have it looked at. You may need to pay a small fee to the bike shop but if your used bike is pricey ... it may be worth it.

6. You might want to go to a local bike store beforehand and ride the same brand but newer model bike just to see what a riding new bike feels like. This will give you some indication of what you are missing and not missing.

others can probably add better stuff to the list than what I have

Tuan

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 364
RE: Test Riding a Used Bike-- NEED TIPS
POSTED: 3/13/10 11:19 AM

Thanks for your help Tuan! I think I got a great bike :)

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria